Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Re: New foil from Ozone

Postby mgs » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:44 pm

Hardwater Kiter – Thanks, Ozone reports the HL as being “mid aspect ratio” so presumably that equates to the figures you quoted.
Just wondering if the Projected Area (PA) is a parameter that would be worth knowing, although not advertised.

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:34 am

hyperlink_ul.jpg
My regular HyperLink 12m still hangs in the air even if there is no enough wind to get up on foil and ride. Wondering is there really any point to have UL version of 12m and smaller kites.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:57 am

Tough call. UL will still make it faster turning and more compact. And less weight is always good IMO.

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby pitbulldoug » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:43 am

Well I have approx 4-5 sessions on my 12m HL and trying to get to know and like foil kites,but after almost 15 yrs kiting on LEI its a hard transition as if it were not for my 2yrs + of hydrofoiling i certainly would have no interest in a foil kite.I really like the lowend of the HL as you can foil in very light conditions which is probably its biggest plus,but turning speed is rather sluggish compared to my old 12m naish trips but again can probably foil in a tad lower wind than my old trip too.Currently I ride usually 10-8-6m boxers for foiling and just use the HL for lighter days and they are 2 different animals the foils and LEI kites as the LEI are much more higher performance IMO for my style of freeriding,however trying to find a home for my HL but its tough as with the slower turning,bridal management,and OMG if you drop your foil kite and are not used to a foil/sea anchor in the water be prepared! I accidentally touched one of my wingtips downlooping on a foil jibe luckily couple football fields out only,my first drop(pilot error) and tried to relaunch somehow tip got twisted and lines inverted and relaunced only to go down again for good due to weight of water on wet kite,cut my losses rolled lines fast and tried to roll up kite asap to avoid more water,big pain in the ass,lucky i have floaty surfboard foil board so paddled in with mess not quite like the chrono tutorial video, and got to beach and took the half hour plus to regroup bridal rats nest and try to relaunch again,but the thing about foil kites is when they get wet like that they just don't like to relaunch they really need to dry out some.After so many years on tube kites just really prefer self rescue on tube kite much,much safer and efficient if the shit hits the fan this is aspect of foils really irkes me if you drop the kite which eventually happens for one reason or another your SOL.Dont get me wrong had a couple of good fun sessions with my HL but if you drop the foil kites really fun factor and stoke of this kites goes south.Im not giving up on it yet as my 2 drops with my HL were pilot error its on me,but as with my tube kites I hardly ever drop them,just have get it more wired and used to it,my biggest gripes are the bribal management,slow turning,looping and dropping kite ending in a roll up and no wind assist self rescue paddle/swim to beach,which hopefully you have a floaty board which in my case i do luckily.its that low end power thats intriguing especially for a big rider like myself but you have to ask yourself the pluses and minuses of foil kites compared to LEI and not quite sure they stack up for foils if your not a racer,however going to keep on trucking with my HL trying to get it more wired in all aspects and hopefully get a better handle on it,time will tell.

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:52 am

Hardwater Kiter wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:57 am
Tough call. UL will still make it faster turning and more compact. And less weight is always good IMO.
For sure UL would gain a bit, but I'm not sure that it's worth to sacrifice durability.

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster

Postby WH Lithuania » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:55 am

pitbulldoug wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:43 am
Well I have approx 4-5 sessions on my 12m HL and trying to get to know and like foil kites,but after almost 15 yrs kiting on LEI its a hard transition as if it were not for my 2yrs + of hydrofoiling i certainly would have no interest in a foil kite.I really like the lowend of the HL as you can foil in very light conditions which is probably its biggest plus,but turning speed is rather sluggish compared to my old 12m naish trips but again can probably foil in a tad lower wind than my old trip too.Currently I ride usually 10-8-6m boxers for foiling and just use the HL for lighter days and they are 2 different animals the foils and LEI kites as the LEI are much more higher performance IMO for my style of freeriding,however trying to find a home for my HL but its tough as with the slower turning,bridal management,and OMG if you drop your foil kite and are not used to a foil/sea anchor in the water be prepared! I accidentally touched one of my wingtips downlooping on a foil jibe luckily couple football fields out only,my first drop(pilot error) and tried to relaunch somehow tip got twisted and lines inverted and relaunced only to go down again for good due to weight of water on wet kite,cut my losses rolled lines fast and tried to roll up kite asap to avoid more water,big pain in the ass,lucky i have floaty surfboard foil board so paddled in with mess not quite like the chrono tutorial video, and got to beach and took the half hour plus to regroup bridal rats nest and try to relaunch again,but the thing about foil kites is when they get wet like that they just don't like to relaunch they really need to dry out some.After so many years on tube kites just really prefer self rescue on tube kite much,much safer and efficient if the shit hits the fan this is aspect of foils really irkes me if you drop the kite which eventually happens for one reason or another your SOL.Dont get me wrong had a couple of good fun sessions with my HL but if you drop the foil kites really fun factor and stoke of this kites goes south.Im not giving up on it yet as my 2 drops with my HL were pilot error its on me,but as with my tube kites I hardly ever drop them,just have get it more wired and used to it,my biggest gripes are the bribal management,slow turning,looping and dropping kite ending in a roll up and no wind assist self rescue paddle/swim to beach,which hopefully you have a floaty board which in my case i do luckily.its that low end power thats intriguing especially for a big rider like myself but you have to ask yourself the pluses and minuses of foil kites compared to LEI and not quite sure they stack up for foils if your not a racer,however going to keep on trucking with my HL trying to get it more wired in all aspects and hopefully get a better handle on it,time will tell.
Try higher aspect (especially race) foil kite and you will see why Hyperlink is The New Era :)

Sure, it's still a foil kite and you can mess up easily, but it's nothing to compare with higher aspect performance oriented foils that were dominant so far in water kiting.

early bird2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Magdalen Island , Baja
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone , North
Been thanked: 0

Postby early bird2 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:43 pm

Pitbulldoug , try a longer bar like 60 cm for your 12 meters , it would help to gain speed . Also I don't know what is your lines length but you could try shorter lines you would get more speed of your kite .
Whatever happens , keep thinking kite up first . Foils kite stay up in the air quite easy you will get used to it , from my point of view I don't think under 12 meters we really need a foil kite for water , for snow this is the only thing I use though , no way I would pump an lei in cold weather on snow .

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings
Has thanked: 0

Postby pitbulldoug » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:05 pm

early bird2 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:43 pm
Pitbulldoug , try a longer bar like 60 cm for your 12 meters , it would help to gain speed . Also I don't know what is your lines length but you could try shorter lines you would get more speed of your kite .
Whatever happens , keep thinking kite up first . Foils kite stay up in the air quite easy you will get used to it , from my point of view I don't think under 12 meters we really need a foil kite for water , for snow this is the only thing I use though , no way I would pump an lei in cold weather on snow .
Yeah I have the longest bar 55cm from ozone I think? And running 20m lines which I been flying for years,don’t like longer lines on any kite personally,for me just going to have to face it the HL is not a LEI and will never turn as fast or self rescue like one either,but there is a cpl of traits of it that are interesting to me for lighter day foiling,perhaps with a bit more time we will become better aquanted/friends as I look at as somewhat a challenge to get it wired like my LEI and enjoy it for what it is,name of the game is keep that HL out of the drink!! Like I said time will tell here.totally agree with you on the snow kiting aspect might give it a go this winter,as I do snowboard,but never snowkited yet,so maybe the HL might be nice for that?

early bird2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Magdalen Island , Baja
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone , North
Been thanked: 0

Postby early bird2 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:29 pm

I think HL would be very good on snow . You will enjoy snow kiting , I prefer snow to water . 55cm bar is perfect with this kite .

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:46 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:52 am
Hardwater Kiter wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:57 am
For sure UL would gain a bit, but I'm not sure that it's worth to sacrifice durability.
Nor am I. ;-)

Return to “Foil Kites”