New foil from Ozone

For all foil kite riders
andrewjohn
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

New foil from Ozone

Postby andrewjohn » Fri May 26, 2017 10:49 pm

Found this whilst browsing.

Anyone have any more info as to target market etc.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: New foil from Ozone

Postby socommk23 » Sat May 27, 2017 8:43 am

Interesting. Maybe its an original r1 rebadged as an intermediate kite for in between the chrono and r1v3?
Can not for the life of my think if why there would be yet another closed cell depower race kite otherwise.
Maybe a reitteration of the chrono but moving on with a new name? Maybe a foil board beginners foil kite? Maybe a ice buggy/snow kite specific race wing?

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:21 am

Hi,

I have been blessed by Ozone to have one of the first ones to make some review videos etc. Official info will be out in a few weeks, but I can say that it is the kite the Flysurfer Unity should have been, but never was. It can also be converted to open cell for those touring days. It is super stable, turns fast, relaunches super easy pulling one steering line. People will love this kite. I has way more performance than I first thought it would.

--
Gunnar

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Sat May 27, 2017 11:19 am

When is the video out Gunnar,looking forward to seeing it!
"Presumably" this kite takes the technology from the Chrono’s & R1’s but with a lower aspect ratio and considered as an “all-rounder” type kite.
Going to have to wait I guess :-)

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat May 27, 2017 11:51 pm

Looks more Psycho style AR, finally something new in that area :-)

Marc_87
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Slufter and Mirns
Style: Freeride/freestyle/oldskool
Gear: Powered by Flysurfer

Postby Marc_87 » Mon May 29, 2017 6:02 am

gmb13 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 10:21 am
Hi,

I have been blessed by Ozone to have one of the first ones to make some review videos etc. Official info will be out in a few weeks, but I can say that it is the kite the Flysurfer Unity should have been, but never was. It can also be converted to open cell for those touring days. It is super stable, turns fast, relaunches super easy pulling one steering line. People will love this kite. I has way more performance than I first thought it would.

--
Gunnar
Why would you buy such a kite if you can fly a Sonic 2, Chrono V2 etc. These kites are all super stable and have way more performance. A foil kite trying to be a tube kite is not going to make it...

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon May 29, 2017 6:33 am

A foil kite trying to be a tube kite is not going to make it...
LOL. Lower aspect foil kites are completely different than tube kites.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed May 31, 2017 7:35 am

gmb13 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 10:21 am
Hi,

I have been blessed by Ozone to have one of the first ones to make some review videos etc. Official info will be out in a few weeks, but I can say that it is the kite the Flysurfer Unity should have been, but never was.
Hi Gunnar,

it sounds like Ozone is going to have its first water intermediate kite for everybody, which could be very successful when done well similar to Flysurfer Speed 4 Lotus, or as you said the Unity should have been.

I hope they solve the problems I have seen within their construction till the chrono v2, for example the too tiny drainage.

Maybe you can say something about sizes especially which one could be the smallest? Would be nice if one of the big brands would offer a real storm foil kite around 4 m² also if it is a bit difficult story from construction (high manufacturing accuracy needed) and from selling point (till now not many people are looking for a high wind foil).

But maybe this has already changed with foilboarding and more people are interested, if you look at this topic: viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2394428

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed May 31, 2017 7:55 am

Marc_87 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 6:02 am
Why would you buy such a kite if you can fly a Sonic 2, Chrono V2 etc. These kites are all super stable and have way more performance. A foil kite trying to be a tube kite is not going to make it...
Try to fly a small high AR kite in not perfect conditions at a lake with gusts beyond 30 knts. Or drop it in between a 2 m wind wave. There are many reason why nobody offers a high AR kite around 5 m². I tried and owned most of the smallest water foil kites, as PS4 in 6m², Pulse in 5m² and the PS3 in 4m². Even the pretty good PS4 was already to sensible for trimm issues at least for most riders, not talking about the other two even smaller ones. What you want above 30 knts is simplicity, super fast relaunch with one line, extremly high resistance against collapsing tips and if it happens a very gentle reopening behavior. I think you can get this just with low aspect foils. And what you not need to much is performance above 30 knts, especially not on a foilboard.

... and if you look at all these "I can't launch my R1" topics also many would profit also in normal winds / sizes from lower aspect kites with easier handling.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Wed May 31, 2017 10:29 am

Horst Sergio wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 7:55 am
... and if you look at all these "I can't launch my R1" topics also many would profit also in normal winds / sizes from lower aspect kites with easier handling.
That has nothing to do with high-AR foilkites but more with Ozone's design/manufacturing that let the kites deflate pretty quickly and suck up water like a sponge. At least until the R1 V1/Chrono V2, don't know if the R1 v2/v3 holds their air better on the ground or water.
With my R1's you could just roll them up without opening the zipper and forcing the air through the seams/vents, good luck trying that on a Peter Lynn Aero for example.

Return to “Foil Kites”