Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Ozone Chrono 9m Upper Limit

Postby mgs » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:07 pm

Interested to know from other Ozone Chrono V1 or V2 owners the maximum wind speed that you feel comfortable in when using your Ozone Chrono 9m?
Launching in high winds does present additional risk in my opinion as everything happens a lot faster.
I bought my 9m V1 for the 20+ mph winds, but this kite is usable for me from about 16mph. There has been a number of times having arrived at the beach to find the wind is 25mph plus and have been reluctant to use my 9m when I see other kitesurfer’s on 9m inflatables in those sort of winds, I’m thinking perhaps I should be on a 7m. I have missed out on a number of sessions as a result of being cautious.
I’m not one for going out “overpowered” and have always selected the right size kite for me over the years that I have been kitesurfing.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone Chrono 9m Upper Limit

Postby windrider1 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:03 am

Race foils are usually 2 sizes up in power. compared to an LEI. i had a 9m race foil and sold it because it just didnt fit well in my quiver. too much power for a high wind kite and too little power for a medium wind kite. i went to a regular 8m foil instead which would be like a 9 or 10m LEI on a good day. bye the way race foils make scary high wind kites. i personally dont like smaller than 11 or 12. the high lift, speed and twitchness can be alot to handle.

ozchrisb
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ozchrisb » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:41 pm

EDIT: just read your post properly :) If you don't want to be super powered then a 7m or 8m would be plenty in 20. You might consider a tube kite for those kinds of wind speeds though, especially if you're not racing. Little foils aren't that much fin for free riding.
For racing I'll got up to 25 knots. We had some gusts higher than that last week and you could hang on..... just. I still have 18m lines though and might get to 30 on shorter. Most folks around here run 15m or even 11m lines on small kites, and 9m or 8m is their smallest.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard

Postby mgs » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:15 pm

Windrider1, thanks for the reply. Interesting to read you sold your 9m but can understand your reasons. I like my 9m very much and after flying the 12m or 18m for a while, you just need become re-acquainted with it again. I remember the first time I flew the 9m in an 18 – 20mph wind, it launched very quickly and inflated almost immediately. As yet I have never launched the 9m in 25mph winds, albeit the process would be same if launching is less wind. Perhaps a low aspect foil (Non race) as suggested would meet my needs for those mid 20mph winds.

Ozchrisb – Thanks, I have thought about a Tube kite. With respect to shorter lines, never actually considered that but have seen guys on YouTube foiling with shorter lines.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:08 pm

I used to have the 9m Chrono 1. Loved that kite.

As windrider pointed out, there is a considerable difference in power when comparing foils to leis. I would say that the estimate of 2 sizes is fair but when you start comparing race type foils to LEIs or even other foils, the comparison in power can vary wildly. The V1 Chrono for example in a 9m is going to produce similar power to a 10-11m+ foil kite. The projected area is always a factor to consider but with a race variant the PA is going to be much more efficient and do a lot more with a lot less sail. Factor in pilot experience and contrasts in power can be greater. I can ride powered on snow with a 10m R1v1 in the same conditions that someone 30lbs lighter does on an 18m Chrono V2. The R1 is Uber efficient, the Chrono 2 less so in favor of user friendliness and more all round performance. Take this all with a grain of salt though as I ride ice and snow, not water. But I think I the comparisons are still applicable.

My personal favorite kite last year was the 10m R1. I use it in conditions that I would normally ride a 12m Summit 4 or Frenzy 14m. More nimble, awesome lift, better up wind and still gone of depower on the race bar. The trade off is less forgiving and less friendly in the gusts. But compared to more Freeride and/or touring based kites of just 5years ago, it's pretty awesome. I prefer the R1v1 because it offers much of the performance of the V2 but in standard fabric and with better inflation. (The V2 uses the same intakes as your 9m thus slower inflation/deflation)

That 9m can be a beast in 20+. For high winds, especially on water, I'd lean towards an LEI personally.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:42 pm

windrider1 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:03 am
i personally dont like smaller than 11 or 12. the high lift, speed and twitchness can be alot to handle.
If you get a chance, try one 0f the new race foils (r1v2, sonic2, diablo2) in the smaller sizes.

I had the same reaction last year on my sonic1 9m. I rode it in 19-25 kts and it always felt like too much to handle, especially when it was gusty.

Now ive got the sonic2 9m and it's totally changed my mind about foiling in 20+ knots. Even in gusty conditions, it's much more controllable and doesn't surge back and forth in the window like the sonic1 9m did.

I never rode the chrono 9m, so can't comment directly on that, but there have definitely been some major advances in usability in thE new race kites from the ones that I have ridden.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard

Postby mgs » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:22 am

Hardwater Kiter – Thanks for the reply. I bought the Chrono 9m as a “high wind” kite but have used it in winds when I could have used my 12m.
The 9m I would say could be used by riders that weigh far less than me in “moderate” winds as it’s such an efficient foil.
Ozone looks to have developed a new closed cell foil kite the “Hyper Link” not quite sure where this kite is positioned within their range which could possibly be a contender for the 20 + mph winds.
I’m also taking a look at Flysurfer’s Speed 5 (9m).
With respect to projected area (PA) I don’t think Ozone state PA, just the kite size in metres, where Flysurfer do.
The Speed 5 (9m) has a projected area of 7.2, with the Speed 5 (12m) having a projected area of 9.5 for example.

FrederikS
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby FrederikS » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:21 am

Around 11-13 m/s with 23 m lines, probably 1 or two more if you run it on 20 m. Depends a bit on trim, this was on a Sword 2 foil with my 85 kg at a spot with waves that max out at around 1 m. Mine was a late production model with new bridal and speed system. I have no idea whether the different specs affect the high end of the kite. Overall it is a great kite with massive depower and pretty good gust handling.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:32 am

The biggest issue is launching.

Once up and inflated you're pretty sorted.

one of our locals has resorted to a battery leaf blower to inflate the kite before launch. Works so well!

I use my 9 sonic 1 from 18 knots up to about 30 on the foil and 35 on the TT. Once up, it's just a regular kite.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:26 pm

Tone wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:32 am
The biggest issue is launching.
I find landing is even worse. My bridles always get tangled in strong wind just from the kite flapping around. Especially if you have to self land to a single line.

Return to “Foil Kites”