Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9
Brand Affiliation: None

How do u land ur foil kite?

Postby salvino » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:00 pm

I was out yesterday in 8-15 mph on 13 chrono. Self launch went great and rode the foilbaord. Then the wind picked up to 20 (unpredicted). So I came in to land. My options were:

1. Fly kite to side window and use break lines to bring it down. I've done this before but not in higher winds.

2. Ask bystander to grab tip and hold to ground as I lay kite down. I've done this if no kiters at site.

Well I chose #2 and the guy must not have understood cause as kite was lowered he jumped up and grabbed parts of bridle. This rapidly deteriorated but short of it is kite got landed and without anyone injured.

I used to fly fly surfer with FDS (basically 5th line) for these situations when wind comes up. Now I'm loving the light wind riding with FB and foil kite, but have been reluctant to ride if no other kiters with me or unless wind forecast is for light and decreasing winds (which is what yesterday was). However, I like to have contingency plans in mind.

Any advice on how u landhese things beyond having kiter grab a tip?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: How do u land ur foil kite?

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:47 pm

If it's not too overpowered you can grab the rear lines way up high and backstall it down to the ground. Walk towards it to make it fall faster and make sure you don't tomahawk it accidentally down really hard. When it's super windy this gets sketchy fast, but if you can do that you can attach your rear lines to a fixed spike or stake and basically keep it backstalled on the trailing edge while you unhook and sprint for it.

In really heavy stuff when I've just simply got the wrong kite I pull the safety, flag out to a front line, and walk up my lines to recover the wingtip. It sucks, but I have huge wide sandy beaches so it's not the worst thing in the world when it has to happen.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:57 pm

I have had the same situation where someone will offer to land my foil kite and they have no idea how to do it. Of course it is not difficult but just like you found, they often head for the bridle lines.

If the winds are reasonable light, I pull both steering lines and stall the kite slowly and land it that way on the beach.

If I find myself in higher winds or the beach is kind of busy or I am unsure if anyone knows how to land a foil kite. I just unhook and release so that the kite lands at the waters edge. I find that when the kite gets a little wet, it settles down quickly. If the beach is very busy I will land the kite in the water a safe distance from the beach and walk the kite to shore.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:09 pm

If it's light and nobody arround you is a lightwind freak with a 15 m foilkite and a foilboard like you (I am :rollgrin: ) the best option I have found till now is a caribiner and a strong supermarket bag filled with sand.

For me the most tricky part when landing a foilkite is reach the kite when landed more than landing itself.

If you want a faster and powerless land you must grab the backlines past the balls\backstrap and from the side of the wind window and it will have almost no pull I guess.

I never landed solo my chrono 15 in high winds because when the wind pick up there are always other kiters to help too.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:54 pm

I have also been a similar situation which ended up just fine. Was out on my 12M Chrono V1 with the wind steadily picking up and was actually 20mph when measured on the beach afterwards. The chap I asked just happened to be Spanish and spoke no English with me speaking not a word in Spanish. He was with someone who was kitesurfing so I guess he had some experience.
To get around the problem I drew a rough outline of my kite in the sand and gestured with my hand which part of the kite to grab. I lowered my kite to the side and he landed my kite just perfectly.
In lighter winds I lower my kite to the side, pull the brake line to land the kite. Then walk or run towards the kite.
Your be amazed how fast you run doing the 25m sprint :-)

f2020
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Phuket
Favorite Beaches: Phuket
Style: Kitefoil Performance and freeride
Gear: Taaroa Sword RS Ti 2018 UHM
Taaroa Sword RS 2017
Taaroa Sword2 Race Wing 2016
Ozone R1V2
Cabrinha Switchblades
RRD Passion MK9
Brand Affiliation: NONE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby f2020 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:34 am

I asked many by passers to land my Ozone Chrono 13M and 18M. Most of all (around 18 out of 20) do it perfecty. They just catch the bottom tip and hold the kite like a flag. The only ones who don't do it well are kitesurfers with no foil kite experience. They grab it by the middle like a LEI.

Up to 12 knots I land the 13M chrono by the rear lines. I now have a 15M R1V2 and it's much more difficult to land it by the rear lines. The R1V2 is thinner, has less drag, and fall with a lot of speed and power to the ground. A bit scary.

Return to “Foil Kites”