For all foil kite riders
alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Re: FS Sonic Race review anyone?

Postby alexrider » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:05 am

sedluk wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:17 pm
I had my 21m Sonic Race out the other day. I was surprised at how well behaved it was when launching. The 18m Sonic2 can take a little while to inflate the tips and the tips can fold and get caught in the bridle easily. I was expecting the 21m to take even longer to inflate and it went very smoothly, never had a problem with tips folding and overall very predictable and responsive.

I was using 21m lines and I really enjoyed the way it handled.

The construction looks very light, I think that it would be perfect for hydrofoiling which is how I will be using it but I would not want to be too rough. I think many of us are spoiled and take for granted how durable Flysurfer kites really are, this kite looks more delicate.
Same here, with my Sonic Race 15. Even with my 80 kg, I don't think I'll ever need a bigger kite. I could get going in 6 knots steady (if no current) already with my Sonic2 13. I got the Race because its reduced weight was a (limited!) guarantee that it wouldn't fall out the sky if the wind fell below 6 knots.
The Race seem to fold tips even less than the Sonic2 (which was already noticeably more stable than Sonic FR in light air)
The construction is VERY light indeed. Even the drain openings at the tips are absent, which is a drag (the material being extremely hydrofuge, I don't see how the entered water (and the sand) could escape quickly.
I see the Sonic 3 as a beefed up Sonic Race with stronger lines and bridle.
BTW, I believe the Sonic Race was designed with short lines in mind. I wonder if longer lines affects the performance and behaviour negatively in any way, except the speed of turning. Am I right to speculate that with longer lines resulting in a flatter canopy (a bit higher projected area) the kite should have slightly better performance upwind/low wind?
So far, I've tested it only with a twintip. I cannot wait for the tide to be high enough to check the polar with my hydrofoil.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sedluk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:34 pm

The Sonic Race does have tip drain openings but you have to look closely for them. The tips are kind of curved and at the bottom of the curve of the tip you will find a small opening. It is smaller than the Sonic drain and no Velcro, I think they will work fine for a little water in the kite but these kites are all performance, even the opening at the bottom of the kite that lets the air out is small and no longer has tabs to open it, you just pull it open. I am not looking forward to getting the kite flooded and draining it at the beach.

I had my 21m Sonic Race out today in something like 6-7 knot winds for 2 hours. I tried out 6m line extensions and 21m main lines and they worked great for me. I was the only person out on the water and a bunch of guys were sitting on the beach waiting for more wind.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:16 pm

fernmanus wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:58 am
foilonfoil wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:43 am
Very very light bar pressure. Overall, nice. A complete waste of time and money for a twintip or surfboard.
Please explain why.

Thanks much!
I'm just a rider and can only suggest that the mixer together with the reduction of kite attachment points has led to minimizing bar pressure... It was sweet!

Return to “Foil Kites”