Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: light wind trim?

Postby opie » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:46 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:32 pm
It's also possible to sheet the kite in so that it's stalled in the wind window, then ease the bar out and the kite will pop forward to the edge of the window and pull you out of the water.
Yeah, I've watched people do this, and understand the concept, but have never pulled it off myself. Does the kite need to be on the higher half of its wind range for it to work?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:53 pm

opie wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:46 pm
Mossy 757 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:32 pm
It's also possible to sheet the kite in so that it's stalled in the wind window, then ease the bar out and the kite will pop forward to the edge of the window and pull you out of the water.
Yeah, I've watched people do this, and understand the concept, but have never pulled it off myself. Does the kite need to be on the higher half of its wind range for it to work?
More power makes it easier; I think short-lines and being in the upper half of the wind range helps a lot.

Blackrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jeffreys Bay , South Africa
Gear: old

Postby Blackrat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:57 pm

You don't say what board you riding ?

I do a similar thing when I drive to hard upwind and then start pulling on the bar for more power and start to go slower and slower lol

I find on the foil the upwind angle is sensitive to the wind speed , if I'm in the zone then I can go upwind like crazy.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:46 pm

Ure stalling the kite dude. First make sure all your lines are equal in length. Most times center lines become longer in relation to back lines and this is a no no for a foil kite. Is this a new kite or used?? Depower the kite at the trim strap ie: no confusion there pull the strap in - In fact pull the trim strap almost all the way in and fly the kite in the middle to top of its windrance guranteed all your problems will disappear.

opie wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:03 pm
From what you guys are saying I think I am being too hamfisted. And stalling the kite by pulling in the bar too much.
On water starts I usually get up by diving the kite and pushing the bar out. But then I often lose power/speed and drop back to the surface.
While riding sometimes I just slow down, I don't know why, and lose momentum and power. The thing that is frustrating me is I will trim out (longer front lines) and try that for a while, then trim in and try that for a while, but I don't seem to do better either way. I guess I just don't have enough feel yet to know what I am doing wrong.
The weird thing is I usually do great on jibes. I have no problem down looping and keeping speed and power through the turn. And on every 4rth or 5th waterstart or so I just take off and fly away no problem, plenty of power.
Turning

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:09 pm

windrider1 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:46 pm
Ure stalling the kite dude. First make sure all your lines are equal in length. Most times center lines become longer in relation to back lines and this is a no no for a foil kite. Is this a new kite or used?? Depower the kite at the trim strap ie: no confusion there pull the strap in - In fact pull the trim strap almost all the way in and fly the kite in the middle to top of its windrance guranteed all your problems will disappear.

opie wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:03 pm
From what you guys are saying I think I am being too hamfisted. And stalling the kite by pulling in the bar too much.
On water starts I usually get up by diving the kite and pushing the bar out. But then I often lose power/speed and drop back to the surface.
While riding sometimes I just slow down, I don't know why, and lose momentum and power. The thing that is frustrating me is I will trim out (longer front lines) and try that for a while, then trim in and try that for a while, but I don't seem to do better either way. I guess I just don't have enough feel yet to know what I am doing wrong.
The weird thing is I usually do great on jibes. I have no problem down looping and keeping speed and power through the turn. And on every 4rth or 5th waterstart or so I just take off and fly away no problem, plenty of power.
Turning
I see a lot of people doing this with lei kites. In low wind they think more power is the key where actually it makes it harder. Moving kite makes better power.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:27 pm

When it's really light and im stopped, (entering water or after a fall) I let the trim line all the way out to full power and keep the kite partially stalled. Then to get start i just let the bar out to let it move through the loop. As soon as im up on foil, ill pull the depower 4 or 5 inches (on 4 to 1 depower) to go upwind.

I think when you are stopped full power is the way to go. Backstalling a foil is not a problem, you cam recover from a backstall by just easing the bar a bit. IF you let it breath too mich it will over fly you and could collapse in a lull.

I've only got experience with race foil kites (chrono, sonic1, sonic2) so that may be the difference, but I've always felt that backstall is your friend in marginal conditions when not moving.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:29 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:27 pm
When it's really light and im stopped, (entering water or after a fall) I let the trim line all the way out to full power and keep the kite partially stalled. Then to get started i just let the bar out to let it move through the loop. As soon as im up on foil, ill pull the depower 4 or 5 inches (on 4 to 1 depower) to go upwind.

I think when you are stopped full power is the way to go. Backstalling a foil is not a problem, you cam recover from a backstall by just easing the bar a bit. If you let it breath too much it will over fly you and could collapse in a lull.

I've only got experience with race foil kites (chrono, sonic1, sonic2) so that may be the difference, but I've always felt that backstall is your friend in marginal conditions when not moving.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:29 am

Lots of good recommendations, keep the kite moving. I think a subtle recommendation is when you want power, let the kite fly quickly and once it is moving quickly you can get a little extra power by pulling in the bar. Pulling in the bar while the kite is flying quickly will give you a little more power but it also slows the kite so it can only be used for a short time. Once the kite is not flying through the window as quickly, it will loose power. The tricky part can often be expecting when the kite will loose enough speed and to loosing up on the bar before the kite slows down too much.

opie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: foiling
Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m

Postby opie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:08 am

I am using a Ketos FR2 wing, and my lines are just a few sessions old and all even.

Today I had a couple hours and did a little better. I made a point of pulling the trim in more than usual and it worked better. I need to work on turning the kite without losing all the momentum. A few times today I did a good job of this and I can see that I have been pulling the bar in too much to help turn the kite. I need to learn to turn with more of a sweeping turn and less pivot.

Thanks so much for all the advice, I have a long way to go but at least I feel like I have some direction.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:30 am

Ok now ure getting the hang of it. What Brand foil kite are you using. some brands need a little more skill than others. ozones are a little less stall prone than lets say flysurfer .Also if its a well used kite it may require some tuning .

opie wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:08 am
I am using a Ketos FR2 wing, and my lines are just a few sessions old and all even.

Today I had a couple hours and did a little better. I made a point of pulling the trim in more than usual and it worked better. I need to work on turning the kite without losing all the momentum. A few times today I did a good job of this and I can see that I have been pulling the bar in too much to help turn the kite. I need to learn to turn with more of a sweeping turn and less pivot.

Thanks so much for all the advice, I have a long way to go but at least I feel like I have some direction.

Return to “Foil Kites”