R1 vs Chrono

For all foil kite riders
windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES
Brand Affiliation: None

R1 vs Chrono

Postby windrider1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:48 pm

Hey guys wondering whats the real difference between a R1 and Chrono in terms of performance. In other words a 15m R1 vs a 15m chrono which has more power per M , which has more speed for example turning speed of the kite and straight line board speed . what other difference are there in handling characteristics . Also Anybody knw the aspect ratio on the r1 and chrono V1 series . . thanks

f2020
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Phuket
Favorite Beaches: Phuket
Style: Kitefoil Performance and freeride
Gear: Taaroa Sword RS Ti 2018 UHM
Taaroa Sword RS 2017
Taaroa Sword2 Race Wing 2016
Ozone R1V2
Cabrinha Switchblades
RRD Passion MK9
Brand Affiliation: NONE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: R1 vs Chrono

Postby f2020 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:20 pm

R1 has more power, go faster, go higher upwind and has better water relaunch. Chrono turns faster, launch easier and land easier.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:46 pm

You are asking about the original chrono and the r1 V1 right? Not the current models
f2020 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:20 pm
R1 has more power, go faster, go higher upwind and has better water relaunch. Chrono turns faster, launch easier and land easier.
I thought the r1v1 had problems with relaunch? I've seen them bowtie pretty easily

I've heard really mixed reviews of the original R1. Everyone I talked to who had one hated it because it was unstable, but I've seen people write on the forum here that it was super stable and they loved it.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windrider1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Yea version 1 of both. Ok cool thnks for the info. I think bowtie issues are probally related to pilot error and inexperience. Never had one in many years of flying foils. Keeping some tension on lines in all situations is the key.

davesails7 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:46 pm
You are asking about the original chrono and the r1 V1 right? Not the current models
f2020 wrote:
I thought the r1v1 had problems with relaunch? I've seen them bowtie pretty easily

I've heard really mixed reviews of the original R1. Everyone I talked to who had one hated it because it was unstable, but I've seen people write on the forum here that it was super stable and they loved it.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windrider1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:02 pm

Thnks alot. No one seems interested in them and i see alot of very good deals on used ones.

f2020 wrote:

f2020
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Phuket
Favorite Beaches: Phuket
Style: Kitefoil Performance and freeride
Gear: Taaroa Sword RS Ti 2018 UHM
Taaroa Sword RS 2017
Taaroa Sword2 Race Wing 2016
Ozone R1V2
Cabrinha Switchblades
RRD Passion MK9
Brand Affiliation: NONE
Been thanked: 0

Postby f2020 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:45 am

windrider1 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:00 pm
Yea version 1 of both. Ok cool thnks for the info. I think bowtie issues are probally related to pilot error and inexperience. Never had one in many years of flying foils. Keeping some tension on lines in all situations is the key.
davesails7 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:46 pm
f2020 wrote:

- The R1V2 has half the air intake of the Chrono V2 (Intakes are on the intrados for both but the Chrono V2 has them on the extrados too). Therefore when the R1 falls in the water it looses air at half the rate than the Chrono V2. Giving you more time to relaunch.

- On the other hand, since the R1 has half the air intakes it is more difficult to launch because the air fills at half the rate than the Chrono V2 (and that's why the wingtip sometimes collapse too).

- I find the Chrono V2 easier to self land because its cross section is thicker. When you back stall the Chrono V2 to self land it falls more slowly than the R1V2 because it has more drag.

- I find them with about the same stability above 8-10 knots. But in wind below 8-10 knots, I find the R1V2 more stable (Probably because it's built with lighter material).

The R1V2 is a great kite. I would not use anything else below 10 knots for now.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:11 pm

The R1 has more power compared to the V2 and slightly less user-friendly but still more user-friendly than the Chrono V1 was. IMO the R1 and Chrono V1 are fairly well matched in terms of power, performance and air retention so if you are looking to save more $, there are still Chrono V1 series out there that people are dumping. A number of which got very little use.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:24 pm

Chrono v1 tip tucks like a bitch.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windrider1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:44 pm

Yea i heard about this tip tuck problem and dont want to deal with it although might be solved with a minor bridle adjustment. I think im leaning towards the R1 instead

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:18 pm

Don't R1 V1 and Chrono V1 have issues with stability and tip tucking?

Might not be on your list but the Chrono V2 is rock solid, never had the slightest tip tuck. I folded it up once by utterly stuffing up a jump and rotation, but it flipped itself back out again almost immediately, dragging me an impressive distance but with no real danger considering I was massively overpowered at the time....!

Return to “Foil Kites”