Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Another New Kite from Ozone.

For all foil kite riders
Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Another New Kite from Ozone.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:42 pm

Not to derail or confuse this thread with the "New foil kite from Ozone" thread. :D

Sad to see the Frenzy go. They set the standard and held it for a long time. Really helped bring snowkiting to where it is today. But Ozone has been making some great stuff lately so I'm pretty pumped about it.

No pricing yet but ...

http://www.hardwaterkiter.com/ozone-blizzard-v1.html

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Re: Another New Kite from Ozone.

Postby mgs » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:34 pm

My introduction to Ozone Kites was the Frenzy in 2003 having seen a couple of guys using them for landboarding.
A week later I took delivery of the 9.5m which was a brilliant kite. I no longer have it and regrettably sold it when I took up kitesurfing.
Sad to see it go :bye: as you say Hardwater Kiter

early bird2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Magdalen Island , Baja
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone , North
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby early bird2 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:57 pm

Hardwater , thanks to share this new kite . So no more Frenzy but what about the summit ? still available ? or the Blizzard replaces both ?

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Looks like it is 25 cell low/mid AR kite, very much like Frenzy was. Interesting to see if there is some development achieved.

I'm afraid mgs' memories of 2003 Frenzy have grown sweeter with time :)

I see that change of names as a marketing thing, but if and when kite is as good as latest Frenzys or even better, who cares.

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Being a complete layman on foil kites, Ozone clearly states:
"The Blizzard V1 is a completely new design dedicated purely for Snowkiting"
If so, does it have any features that avoid water pouring into the cells (when kite is in the drink) like foils for kitesurfing have?

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:03 pm

early bird2 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:57 pm
Hardwater , thanks to share this new kite . So no more Frenzy but what about the summit ? still available ? or the Blizzard replaces both ?
Blizzard replaced both. I was a bit surprised to see the Summit discontinued a while back given the V4 came out last season. There are a few leftovers available. Limited sizes and colors. We've obviously discounted anything we have left and we also have a 12m demo to let go if you (or anyone) is in the market and looking to save some coin. Just shoot me a PM. Same goes for our Frenzies.

I'm with Kite Expert in that like everything, there's always the marketing hype. A simple name change. But Ozone has been on a roll IMO and I expect the Blizzard to be a good kite. I'm also with Mgs. Long fond memories of the Frenzy. (And yes maybe sweeter with age). I know a few people that have 3m or 5m '05s for high wind days and those kites don't come anywhere close to the safety and high wind performance of a current Frenzy or even Access.

back in the day they were just a sublime solid kite and those early versions were just tough as nails. I don't know what they used for fabric but it was burly! Maybe not the lightest but the things that I (and others) put those kites through, much of it while self learning,would have destroyed the kites we have today. Had a falling out with the model for a while after 06 and went to other kites. 2014 brought me back to them and the V10 was my favorite version.

We'll see I guess!

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:10 pm

abel wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:15 pm
Being a complete layman on foil kites, Ozone clearly states:
"The Blizzard V1 is a completely new design dedicated purely for Snowkiting"
If so, does it have any features that avoid water pouring into the cells (when kite is in the drink) like foils for kitesurfing have?
Nope! Strickly a land/snow focused design. You'll want to keep it in the air if you take it on the water. ;-) Abel another new kite this year that will do both snow. It can be run as either an open or closed cell and is being pushed as a foil for those of us who aren't very familiar with foil kites and want to use one without the technical demands that a kite like a Chrono or Sonic have. See the link below.

http://www.hardwaterkiter.com/hyperlink-v1.html

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:17 pm

Side note. The AR on the Blizzard is 4 I'm told. Slightly lower than the Frenzy V10. Should be a snappy turner and good gust muncher. :-)

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:46 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Name another kite that came even Close to the Frenzy ; back in 2002
or 2003 ?

First time i flew a Frenzy, was in Dec/January of 2002/03 , on the Ivanpah dry-lake
and it was better than any other kite i had ever flown. No other kite came
even close ; and i had flown most All of them.

Bille

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:40 pm

Bille wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:46 pm
kitexpert wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Name another kite that came even Close to the Frenzy ; back in 2002
or 2003 ?

First time i flew a Frenzy, was in Dec/January of 2002/03 , on the Ivanpah dry-lake
and it was better than any other kite i had ever flown. No other kite came
even close ; and i had flown most All of them.

Bille
I don't know if it was much better and when it came available, but Psycho1 was and is more efficient kite than Frenzys. I had some not so nice situations with it but when wind was good not much to complain. It had quite good jumping ability for even todays standards.

Old frenzys ca. 2005 had high bar pressure, were slow to turn and had poor upwind. When I had P2's and later Speeds I felt sorry for the guys who still used those kites. I mean big sizes 12m and 14m, smaller Frenzys like any small foil kites are/were for sure better and more usable.

Return to “Foil Kites”