Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: FS Speed 6

Postby Johhnn » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:35 pm

Agree strongly with Alexrider/pumpy. Speed 4 8 dlx is my favorite and most often used kite with the foilboard. I guess it is very similar to the hyperlink, just ahead of its time.

Sonic 2 is a great kite, but harder to relaunch. And I have a ton of experience in relaunching the S4 8 and 10 dlx while learning to foil a couple of years ago. Sonic 2 needs a lot of preinflation, then a careful launch to get the wing tips filled. But then it is very solid. No collapsing of the tips during turns, or ever, really. Also it is faster turning on a shorter bar. I only have the 15, but it's great.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:57 pm

Johhnn wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:35 pm
Agree strongly with Alexrider/pumpy. Speed 4 8 dlx is my favorite and most often used kite with the foilboard. I guess it is very similar to the hyperlink, just ahead of its time.

Sonic 2 is a great kite, but harder to relaunch. And I have a ton of experience in relaunching the S4 8 and 10 dlx while learning to foil a couple of years ago. Sonic 2 needs a lot of preinflation, then a careful launch to get the wing tips filled. But then it is very solid. No collapsing of the tips during turns, or ever, really. Also it is faster turning on a shorter bar. I only have the 15, but it's great.
I never preinflate my Sonics or any of my foil kites really and I never have problems launching. I always launched fully trimmed out though and stall the kite to inflate the kite quickly.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:01 pm

how's the 11m Sonic 2 for foiling in light winds, say 8 knots and up for 78kg good rider, is it doable?

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Postby fogmeister » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:24 am

easy........

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:36 am

Guys you're intriguing me with the Sonic... I'm feeling like a child who knows that the story is too big for him but he's ready to jump anyway... :-)))
So, my current quiver: 3 pumps, Core XR 7/11/15, one foil, SP5 21. I ride only TT, so forget foiling for the moment. Next year, I'm planning to replace the pump 15 with a foil. Spot conditions: fresh water, no waves, wind normally quite gusty from 8-10 to 15/16 knots depending on the part or the lake you're riding in. Boards: Shinn Bronq 135x42 and Shinn Bronq XL 150x50. 80 kgs. rider, experienced with pumps but not with foils, just one season with the SP5 21.
Your opinion? Go for another Speed, 15? Sonic 13? Sonic 15?

Thanks a lot!

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.

Postby Skywalker7 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:06 am

Hi, Yes, definitely go for the Speed 15. Last week I was testing the Sonic 2 13 and 15 and both of them are great kites and way easier to handle than a Sonic 1 which I have in size 15, but in gusty wind Speed series is more stable, and the relaunch especially the medium wind and high wind relaunch of the Speed series is easier due to the less aspect ratio. So I decided to buy a Speed 5 12M for myself which is more suited for gusty wind and some unhoked tricks as well, and it has enough performance to take me above 10M jumps (flat water, twintip) which I think is enough for me and for quite a lot of peolple as well. I rode the Speed 3 15m and the Speed 5 15 M as well and if you want to use it for the light and gusty wind than try it with 3M extensions and it will work very well. 6M would be way too much but the 3M extensions works very well.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13

Postby pmaggie » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks Skywalker!

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:30 pm

I spend all of my time on a Hydrofoil. Because I can get away with a smaller kite, I always launch my Sonic 2 directly downwind. I think that helps a lot and reduces the need for pre-inflation. I get some air in the tips and some in the center, it takes some experience but you can slowly launch with the kite directly downwind and have it mostly inflated before it is off the beach.

I would not recommend a TT rider who is unfamiliar with the kite to try this, even in light wind the kite can pull pretty hard on the way up and you need to have the bar pulled so the tips don't fold. You are hot launching with the bar pulled in, might not work well for a TT rider because they need a big kite for the wind. My favorite size is probably the 13m when the winds are about 10 knots. The 13m and above launch pretty smoothly, 11m is not bad, you get to the 9m and 6m and things happen quickly and even more experience is recommended.

My personal request for the Speed 6 and Sonic 3 would be a 7.5m size, just seems to be a big gap between 9m and 6m. A 4.5m or 5m would also be nice.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:01 am

pmaggie wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:36 am
Guys you're intriguing me with the Sonic... I'm feeling like a child who knows that the story is too big for him but he's ready to jump anyway... :-)))
So, my current quiver: 3 pumps, Core XR 7/11/15, one foil, SP5 21. I ride only TT, so forget foiling for the moment. Next year, I'm planning to replace the pump 15 with a foil. Spot conditions: fresh water, no waves, wind normally quite gusty from 8-10 to 15/16 knots depending on the part or the lake you're riding in. Boards: Shinn Bronq 135x42 and Shinn Bronq XL 150x50. 80 kgs. rider, experienced with pumps but not with foils, just one season with the SP5 21.
Your opinion? Go for another Speed, 15? Sonic 13? Sonic 15?

Thanks a lot!
A Sonic 15 will be too much overlap with your S5 21.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pmaggie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:23 am

A Sonic 13 and the TT? Too difficult to handle?

Return to “Foil Kites”