Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

FS Speed 6

For all foil kite riders
pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Brand Affiliation: None

FS Speed 6

Postby pmaggie » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:13 pm

Is a speed 6 coming next year in your opinion?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Re: FS Speed 6

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:13 am

It’s suppose to be on a 2 year cycle now unlike before when they just released after a big improvement. Not sure how long the S5 had been out but they usually release the new model around the Dec/January.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:06 am

pmaggie wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:13 pm
Is a speed 6 coming next year in your opinion?
This is how I'd like to anticipate the 2018-2018 Flysurfer range:
- Speed 6: a Sonic2 with DLX material (the Sonic2 is better than the Speed 5 in every department, even relaunch) and slightly redesigned (simplified) wing tips
- Sonic 3: a beefed up Race to withstand severe punishment (don't care if it's 500 grams heavier), which could perhaps even make the Speed 6 as imagined above redundant
- Race 2: probably an even lighter and higher aspect ratio kite. Since it's designed for top racers, it can be expected to demand somewhat more skills and attention than the existing very predictable and stable Race, if that's the cost to pay for the very best in terms of performance. Also awaited: a system (extra line?) to give a deep camber for downwind broad reach (I believe the Diablo had such a system)
- Pulse 3: a fast turning, super easy allrounder, hyperlink like, a very needed lower aspect kite FS has regrettably neglected. Something in between the Pulse 2 (without the bloody drag generating jet flaps) and the Speed4 DLX (not the Lotus!), both great kites. The best for schools and even waves. BTW, the foil kite so far I enjoy most for foiling is the Speed4 DLX 8, even if I lose 5 or 10 degrees upwind ability wrt Race.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:00 am

Interesting to see if Speed6 will have three line rows, A, B and Z.

I don't think there is room to increase AR, because Sonics are already there. But if AR is decreased, is it a Speed any more? One possibility could be to make a new start saying goodbye to Speeds and release a new kite closer to mid AR segment.

I think Ozone has succeeded better to segment their kites than FS. With clear kite segments it is easier for customer to choose a kite he thinks is right for him, resulting more sold kites.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:25 pm

I would rather see Psycho5 in the line of development of the 3 bridle gallery Speed4 DLX.

Hyperlink compares more to Psycho then Pulse and is a very sweet kite by the way.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:43 am

alexrider wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:06 am
- Speed 6: a Sonic2 with DLX material (the Sonic2 is better than the Speed 5 in every department, even relaunch) and slightly redesigned (simplified) wing tips
I though Sonic 2 was already delux material on bottom and trailing edge with lotus material on top skin. That lotus material is awesome how the water sheds off it so easy and water doesn't leak into the kite.

I do agree, sonic 2 kinda made speed 5 obsolete, especially in big sizes. I've heard people like speeds better in small size though.
kitexpert wrote: Interesting to see if Speed6 will have three line rows, A, B and Z.
I would think the speed isn't high enough aspect ratio for a 3 row bridle. Wouldn't that leave too much space between bridle rows?
alexrider wrote: - Sonic 3: a beefed up Race to withstand severe punishment (don't care if it's 500 grams heavier), which could perhaps even make the Speed 6 as imagined above redundant
I like it!
alexrider wrote: - Race 2: probably an even lighter and higher aspect ratio kite.
I think Race 2 will be half as heavy, single-use, biodegradeable kite. At the end of the session, you don't even bother landing it. You just unhook and it dissolves when it hits the water :D

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:02 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:43 am

I would think the speed isn't high enough aspect ratio for a 3 row bridle. Wouldn't that leave too much space between bridle rows?
I don't know if that is true, Speed4 dlx had only 3 line rows and it is lower AR kite than newer Speeds.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13

Postby pmaggie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:50 am

- Speed 6: a Sonic2 with DLX material (the Sonic2 is better than the Speed 5 in every department, even relaunch)

This is very interesting. I frankly never tested nor considered the Sonics because I thought they were too technical for me (I'm an average Joe just looking for great low wind performances since our lake is rarely very windy). How about flying the kite? Isn't the Sonic much more difficult than the Speed? Please consider a medium level, not an expert racer with many years of experience with foil kites.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:39 am

I have Speed 5, Sonic 2 and Sonic Race kites. I think the Sonic 2 kites takes more experience. The Sonic 2 kites don't leave much room for error. You have to launch the kite more carefully and the kites need more pre-inflation before launching. You make a mistake when launching a Sonic 2 kite and a tip will fold over or it may end up back on the beach. You have to keep bar pressure and steer the Sonic 2 or else you will have problems. Same with flying them, don't make any mistakes and you will be fine.

You can take a Speed 5 kite, throw it on the beach and as long as the lines are not tangled, you can probably pull on it and get it in the wind and up in the air.

Once you get the hang of handling a Sonic 2 kite, you can launch them easily and they fly great. I don't want to make it sound super technical or like you need years of experience but the Speed 5 kites are easy and the Sonic 2 kites require more care.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pmaggie » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:35 am

Thanks Sedluk, this is exactly my opinion but since I've never tested a Sonic reading that it's better "even in relaunch" sounded like it was not so difficult to handle. I think it's all a matter of experience, as I wrote above I'm not an expert foil kiter, it's clear that an experienced rider will find the Sonic as easy as the Speed to fly but better performing in all departments. So I have to wait for the S6 now! I'd like to switch from my current 15 pump to a foil since it's a season I'm riding the Speed 21 and I'm really stoked about this sail, I simply doubled my sessions in the water.

Return to “Foil Kites”