For all foil kite riders
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Sonic2 vs. R1V2 vs. Speed5...

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:15 pm

2 was just a bit softer than the 1; not as aggressive lift and pull, less on/off, less bar pressure. 2 is more stable, so I guess they gave up the grunt for that.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:06 pm

I have the Speed5 in 6m, 9m, 12m, and 15. and am a foil boarder.

They are terrific kites but I do feel they are a bit more suited to TT riding (higher wind range) than foiling in the larger sizes 12 and 15. They are just a bit heavy for true light wind weapons. They have excellent lift and are great for boosting and in the smaller sizes feel almost like a tube kite in turning speed.....I love the 6m and the 9m. Side by side with my friends who all ride Sonic2's the 15 will fall out of the sky before they will. I have had good luck with it on extensions but have also swam with it more than any other.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:37 pm

twig wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:26 am
Kamikuza wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:14 am
No love for the Sonic 2? I've flown only the 18m but in both 1 and 2. The 2 is more stable and an excellent foil kite, but I prefer the 1 for light wind TT riding. 2 is a little soft, less aggressive and as it's lighter stays in the air with slack lines better. After the Sonic, the Speed 5 felt a bit . . . slow.
Hi

I just got my 2nd kite the sonic 1 18m for light wind tt riding. Im happy to hear that you prefer the 1 over 2, i just could not afford the 2.
Sonic 1 18 feels solid in the air and has good depower.

So you think the sonic 1 is faster then the speed 5, is there more reasons for you to shoose sonic1 before speed5? And how is it that sonic1 is more agressive then sonic2 when sonic2 is a faster kite from what ive heard?

Thanks
Sonic was faster to accelerate, across the window and around turns than the Speed5's I tried.

The 2 was more stable and softer on bar reaction. And didn't yank of the water so effortlessly.

Return to “Foil Kites”