Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 162
Local Beach: Crack Park
Style: Foil
Gear: 633 Onda Peak4 8,5,4,3m
Brand Affiliation: None

Aurora 2 vs. A15

Postby kriskris » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:42 am

I am thinking about getting A15 or Aurora 2. I would like to get 12 meter kite for light wind sessions (light fabric option) and 8 or 9 m for stronger wind in regular fabric. My current kites are Core XR 3 12m and 9m. It seems that even in really light wind I am capable of riding 9 most of the time (I am 160 lbs/72 kg). The issue is keeping the kite up in the air in lulls. So my question is which would be better for conditions with lulls. I understand that A 15 is lower aspect kite and in theory it should be more stable and easier to handle in this type of conditions. I do not really care for speed or upwind abilities since I am going to use it with hydrofoil and I do not care for racing. Does anybody know the weight of these kites? I could not find any info on Pansh website. Also I read about issues with the trim of A15. Did Pansh solve that problem. Do both A15 and Aurora 2 fly well without any serious tune up out of bag? Any info is much appreciated. Kris

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Re: Aurora 2 vs. A15

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:26 am

Hello,
I know the Aurora but not the A15( yet) ; I weighted my ex-Aurora v2 15m light : 2.7 kg ; Another kiter has weighted its aurora 12m : 2.44 kg; I would bet that the weight of A15 is similar in light cloth but I am not aware of anybody having put it on a scale;

Regarding the choice between mid ratio (A15) and high ratio (Aurora) : not obvious ; my personnal prefered light wind kite (with large Hydrofoil, no race nor speed search) is- between the Aurora and the A15 and I love it even in marginal winds;

Even if you do not care about speed, at low wind you need a good traction angle which is improved by a high ratio, while on the contrary to over-pass dead-lulls without loosing the kite, the better loop ability , drift, and stability of a mid-ratio allows to better keep the kite in the air, body drag to shore (and waterstart often);

Also note that if it its your first foil kite, A15 will certainly behave closer to your LEI in term of agility and loop radius (Aurora will be far far slower turning than your habits); so IMO depending on your objectives and spot : if wind is irregular, A15 wins points and have a better relaunch IMO; if wind is steady and you seek for even lower end, Aurora will win points with line extensions to compensate for the large loop, with a bit more speed vs A15 , but less fun , and more risk to put the kite in the water; More speed for Aurora, more "carving" or "wave riding" for A15.

kriskris
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 162
Local Beach: Crack Park
Style: Foil
Gear: 633 Onda Peak4 8,5,4,3m

Postby kriskris » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:40 pm

Thank you Regis.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:04 am

Regis I should ask how do you compare your Aurora2 to a Funalex Aurora1, I know it's 22m vs 15m. Interested in turning and stability.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:23 pm

So my experience is aurora v2 15m light (Recent) and aurora v1 Funalex 22m (2014). Hard to highlight the difference because at 60 kg I was not charging the 22m a lot ...
V2 15m is far much agile in turn and stability is comparable. But this is principally explained by the reduced size and higher wind for the 15m, as you suspeted, so I would not ensure it is representative to compare v1 funalex vs v2.
Light cloth really helps lower end, but especially for hydrofoil. Some kites from other brand are even lighter for winds below 6 knots.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:25 pm

Great to hear stability is similar.

Return to “Foil Kites”