Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pansh Aurora II 10m - one item off bucket list

For all foil kite riders
oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Pansh Aurora II 10m - one item off bucket list

Postby oldkiter » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:38 pm

IMG_20180111_120055509_HDR.jpg
I took advantage of the Pansh 1/2 off prices to get an Aurora II 10m. New to foils but kiting since 2003 - all open ocean.

I'll give updates - if I live through this!!

Some early observations now and pictures to come (seem to be having trouble loading pics - maybe files too large). Got a few in!

Placed the order over new years weekend but arrived in southern California in about 10 days. No communications until day of arrival when I got ALERT that package could not be delivered. While I was trying to track package it arrived.

Package was reasonably well packed with extra protection under entry seals and only one minor corner dent.

The kite and bridles and lines look good, especially for the price!

It came ready to fly but my intention is to use a 4-line bar with single frontline safety and 22m lines, and leave that bar with the kite. I did run out the Pansh bar to determine if the lines were equal lengths. The Pansh line are equal lengths, BUT the bar comes setup so that at "full power" the outside entire lines ( including bar leaders) are too short if bar pulled in to CL - would "backstall". Only if most of depower strap is pulled in would all be equal when bar pulled to CL. There are 2 pigtails above the cleat either of which could be removed.

Is that the experiences of others with the setup?? Does setup of bridle require the uneven bar lines??
IMG_20180111_120400619_HDR.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20180111_154722258_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180111_155131109_HDR.jpg

Kykeon
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: .
Brand Affiliation: $iemens

Re: Pansh Aurora II 10m - one item off bucket list

Postby Kykeon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:48 pm

Thank you for your update,
have fun,
I'll be following you!

My 12m a15, ready to fly bar was like this:
with the bar pulled in and no trim line pulled (std calibration set up), the front lines were 5cm longer than back ones (most other bars are equal length that way)

I also noticed that the kite was backstalling a bit with the ready to fly version set up. (which is not necessarily a bad thing)

I added pigtails at the kite and tuned them a bit so that I can fly it with any "equal" bar with no backstalling.

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:55 am

Thanks for response.

Assuming 5 cm is approximately 2 inches, it takes at least 15 cm (6 inches) of trim to have equal lines when bar pulled to CL. That would REALLY be backstalled!

Mainly wanted confirmation that the lines should be about equal, and that the bridle setup does not require significantly different line lengths.

Otherwise I would have to blame myself!!!

I'll keep trying to add more pics - and comments.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby downunder » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:22 am

Congrats
On the similar note Ive had first Sonic FR flight on Saturday. Was soooo different than anything else :)

mrandrewandrade
Rare Poster
Local Beach: In Canada: Long Beach, Long Point, Turkey Point, Nickle Beach, Sauble Beach Oliphant
In France: la nautique, leucate, VN
Favorite Beaches: La nautique in France
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switch Element, Nitro and Helium
Been thanked: 0

Postby mrandrewandrade » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:43 am

I was thinking about getting an Aurora II, and was wondering too what modifications people made.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:05 am

Just one remark for people interested in Ultra light cloth : On both the Aurora v2 (15m) and A15 (9m) that I have received , Pansh removes the magnetic blow-off valve ; I suppose it it to save some additional weight ;
... not that I think it is a compulsary thing, but it is good to know.

BTW having a slight backstall when fully powered-up can be useful for snowkite application ; I am not saying Pansh did it on purpose, but I personally like this and do not mind to trim 5 cm if i want to cancel it. And I very often use a bit of trim on my HF.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:14 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:05 am

BTW having a slight backstall when fully powered-up can be useful for snowkite application ; I am not saying Pansh did it on purpose, but I personally like this and do not mind to trim 5 cm if i want to cancel it. And I very often use a bit of trim on my HF.
Mesmerizing :) Can you explain in more details why?

Thx

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:25 am

For example it allows to recover more easily when turbulences of the mountains can catch the leading edge for a frontstall. You can also punctually force the kite to keep lower in the sky when you fear to get an instability at the zenith or extreme wind window. Maybe you have experienced it with your sonic (during a jump for example), because you can easily have this characteristics on a race foil kite since the AoA change is higher for a given depower stroke.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:53 pm

downunder wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:14 am
Regis-de-giens wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:05 am

Mesmerizing :) Can you explain in more details why?

Thx
With a foil kite, you can backsheet hard and "brake" to slow the kite down. With an inflatable, you can really only sheet out or send the kite high to kill power. The ability to brake the kite by oversheeting is a unique advantage foil kites have for dealing with power. It's nice to have a little oversheeting when it's super light, if the kite tries to overfly the edge of the wind window and starts to collapse, you can usually oversheet it a bit, pull it back into the center of the wind window, and recover without it collapsing.

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:31 pm

Interesting comments on "braking"! I learned early on in kiting to have a little oversheeting on inflatable kites. This allows a bit of stalling when on waves to allow more "drift". So my bars are setup with about an inch (2-3 cm) of backstall. Good to know about the advantage on foils. It may be that Pansh has so much built in when delivering so that it is safer for newbies. Thanks all. Keep info coming!!

Thinking of doing first few sessions on land with 17-18m lines. Any disadvantages?

Pictures below show amount of trim needed for equal lines when Pansh bar pulled to CL.
Attachments
IMG_20180114_105628862_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180114_105546262_HDR.jpg

Return to “Foil Kites”