Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

light wind foiling pansh aurora 12m ul or ozone hyperlink ul

For all foil kite riders
wil
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Raglan, Tauranga New Zealand
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki
Style: free ride
Gear: Switch Kites and Decay boards, Naish Venturi, NJS CF6, Makaira Zeeko foil, Home made foil Clearwater creations wings
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

light wind foiling pansh aurora 12m ul or ozone hyperlink ul

Postby wil » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:01 am

Hi,
I am interested in a solution for light wind foiling. I am after a foil that does not fall in the water in light winds. I heard a lot of good stuff about the hyperlink but they are quite expensive. Does anyone have experience with both these kites. Which of those 2 kites would stay in the air at lowest wind speed.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: light wind foiling pansh aurora 12m ul or ozone hyperlink ul

Postby jakemoore » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:07 am

Have not flown a Pansh or even seen one in person but pretty much every single Pansh thread on every single forum has a lot of talk about how to tune a brand new kite so it flies right. In my mind this is especially problematic for light wind riding. Obviously I am tempted by Pansh price point and have been for many years. I suspect I could tune the kite to my satisfaction as I have done with other foil kites. But I also have to consider the value of my time and the limited opportunity I get to play outside when there is wind.

I'm very stoked with the 9m Hyperlink in regular cloth for light wind hydrofoil. With the Hyperlink you are going to get a kite that flies correctly from the start.

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide

Postby gbrungra » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:17 am

Cost-no-object, I would love to try a hyperlink.
I would also love to see a side-by-side comparison of the hyperlink and a concept air pulsion.

I would look for used foil kites before buying a new pansh.

Disclaimer, I have never owned any of these kites, I've just been reading every forum post for 2-3 years...

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:58 am

ultimate low wind capacity is the Conceptair Pulsion. Better than all ozones and Pansh, even in light cloth.
From my experience recent auroras need no briddle adjustment in low wind except a bit of trim ; (Maybe a bit for highest wind in some example).
From a friend who owned HL and Pulsion : HL more robust in time, Pulsion for a bit more advanced riders and unbeatable stay in the air , more agile in turn. HL more watertight and easier to roll (Specially in water)

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:20 pm

Get a Lotus Speed 4. Cheaper and stays in the air on the slightest breeze.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:48 pm

s4 lotus stays in the air similarly as Aurora light. Not more not less and both are very good at flying in lower wind. But again, Pulsion is another world from my experience (I had these 3 foil and also s2 silver arrow)

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:29 pm

Skip the pansh . Their kites are hit and miss I would say 50% come out of the factory with some kind of issue. Ure better off looking around for a good used foil kite lots of deals out there . Most modern foil kites will stay up in 4 or 5 knots with min effort So I don’t think it would make much of a difference with a UL if ure looking for a kite tht won’t fall out of the sky . I think UL fabric gives u the benefit of a early start let’s say 5 knots instead of 6 . Regardless of wht type or size of foil kite you use 6 knots is usually the min wind needed for a decent session.

wil
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Raglan, Tauranga New Zealand
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki
Style: free ride
Gear: Switch Kites and Decay boards, Naish Venturi, NJS CF6, Makaira Zeeko foil, Home made foil Clearwater creations wings
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby wil » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:49 am

Regis i value your opinion. You have experience with the Pansh and the Conceptair Pulsion kite.
What is the best value for money considering I am 90 kg intermediate kiteboard foiler and a desire to get a lightwind kite that will get me going in the lightest wind?

Pansh Aurora II 12m
Pansh Aurora II 15m
Pansh A 15 12m
Pansh A 15 15m

I want one in ultralight. The Ozone Hyperlink in UL will be at least 3 times as expensive. I can buy a standard cloth one second hand for double the most expensive Pansh.
the Concept Air Pulsion will also be at least 3 times as much as the most expensive Pansh. I am not sure whether the 15m size will give me more low end. Can you please comment for me.

Windrider please don't provide anymore negative comments. I already know you don't like the Pansh products.

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide

Postby gbrungra » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:23 am

Lots of decent looking used foil kites, by ozone, flysurfer. Even a few from Elf, and peter Lynn.

http://c.ikitesurf.com/classifieds?sear ... &deleted=0#

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:51 am

I can try to give you an order of "lightest wind ability", and will try to "project" to 90 kg, but you need to keep in mind that I am -50 % lighter and my advice on A15 is more a projection than a real test ( I assume it is not so far from a Pulsion, maybe just a bit less agile and fast: I have just received a A15 in 9m but not tested yet and it will not be dedicated to light winds);

I would say that Aurora and A15 have both interests for you; from your PM yesterday I understand that you are looking for a steady kite in light winds with good relaunch , and you have some ride experience on PL foil ( I suppose it is ARC models like Charger or Venom); in that case I would finally risk to choose A15, but it is hard to ensure that because I know nobody having testing a A15 on a HF and in marginal wind :

pro A15:
- A 15 have better relaunch (easier rotation on wing, wind will be catch at higher elevation)
- A 15 will remain more stable in light winds in the zenith (certainly less prone to over flight) : this can be a dominant aspect for onshore winds when you may have to swim backward with both ends to get out of shore by creating your own relative wind.
- A15 will need less briddle adjustement (if any on the Aurora) and more stable in the time
- A15 will be easier to water-start and foil-up without good "HF pumpimg skills"
- A15 will support better lines extensions without loosing much up-end and agility (like a LEI)
- A15 certainly more stable in high winds, but less comfortable when parked during a ride with HF
- A15 more quicker turn and smoother/powerfull loop (good for waves or carving)
- A15 more forgiving in slack lines (frequent when working on transions, specially in extreme light winds when you jibe toward the kite)

pro Aurora 15:
- Aurora will give you more riding speed and up-wind angle
- Aurora will be more comfortable in straight line (more forward pulling)
- Once foiling-up, Aurora will maybe accept better ponctual lulls without loosing planning (i.e. marginal wind below 4 knots during 3-4 seconds)
- Aurora will have a better wind range (almost same low end but better high end which is important in light winds)
- Power/Depower stroke of the bar will be more efficient (shorter) than A15
- Aurora may stay similarly or better in the zenith if can work the kite (hands available) , but less "auto-zenith"
- More feed backs available from riders (and some on HF)

I also understand that you have experience with BRM clouds which will be clother to the A15. I do not fly Clouds but I understand that they have really good marginal wind ability , so I am not sure you will gain a lot with A15 or aurora (except relaunch and upwind angle that should be improved), but in any case with your weight you will need 15m and not 12m.

So attempts of conclusion :
If you have good skills to loop kites and avoid or recover from slack lines, Aurora should give you almost the same marginal low-end, with more comfort in straight line specially in high end; if you have complicated on-shore conditions, and/or high risks to put the kite in the water, and prefer working transitions / Carving safely rather than up-wind angle, A15 should be your candidate with less risks of briddle instabilities (fabrication quality or wear in time). Ultralight is a must off course; If you keep your Clouds in your quiver, I would choose Aurora 15 to gain riding speed and have a "different" kite. You may be disappointed on the actual gain of low end vs Clouds, unless you buy a foil kite which has even lighter cloth.

Return to “Foil Kites”