Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

pansh a15 in 9m

For all foil kite riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

pansh a15 in 9m

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:04 pm

Hello,

I just tried my new Pansh a15 in small size (9m) on a hydrofoil:

- wind 9-15 knots and then dropped to 8-10 at the end, maybe less at the far end.
- 4 lines bar (55 or 60 cm width) ; about 27 m length = a bit too long for this kite IMO ; PS: I can set my rear lines length directly from the bar so I cannot tell if it it requires some little extensions to the front lines for a standard bar
- balanced bar pressure
- came sometimes a bit beyond my head on the beach, but I think it is due to unstable wind at the spot start; when punctually disturbed by turbulence, it stays as a bloc and came back in the wind window smoothly
- very good stability out of the bag during the ride, including wind variations and drift downwind;
- loop is round and good ; better than Aurora IMO and similar to average free-ride foilkites; less constant power than a Pulsion (less boost + power becomes rather close to the zenith)
- slight tendency to back-stall compared to Pulsion, but better than Elf race kites ; IMO similar to average free-ride kites
- long bridles up to line connections
- very rapid air purge and pack-up

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: pansh a15 in 9m

Postby Matteo V » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:21 pm

So are you happy?????

I think the A15 is my next kite. Would a 65cm bar be too much for the 9m? - I like long bars for my foil kites since I like access to stalling a tip or stalling the whole kite. Stall is the one thing I cannot do without in any kite, tubie or twin skin.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:12 am

Cool to hear. Curiosity got the best of me so I ordered a 9m A15 in Ultralight a few weeks ago.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:13 am

Great . So, we will have several point of views ; yes overall I am (very) happy with it, and it worth its money ! its stability seems better than average foilkites (in low end during the test) and agility at least similar ; wind conditions were not high and stable enough to assess its performance (in term of upwind angle) which should be lower than other foilkites and close to an LEI .

Regarding the light cloth it is not mandatory in 9m2 , but I must say that with my light weight, I was happy to have it when launching it, going out of shore and then come back to shore with very little wind ( kite was almost not flying without working but I was able to reach back my starting point by looping the kite and downwind riding. Working the kite in its upward part is also easier in lulls.

I am thrilled to test it on the snow and with higher winds.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:25 am

New kite landed today. I had enough daylight for a short static flight on land. Standard lines on a 2016 Ozone bar (20m?) The wind was 12 knots recorded. Gusts to 14 by my estimate.

Ultralight is 1801 grams. The bridle is very long and fiddly. Its not a big deal but may put off somebody who is not disciplined with a foil kite. It was set up correctly from the factory. Connected to the Ozone bar using ELC as knots on the front lines and using just loops on the back lines. The kite inflated easily and came right to zenith, flying true and stable with 4 equal line lengths.

The upside is it does fly pretty well in lightish wind. Even when depowered down low at the edge of the window is easy to bring the kite to zenith without down looping. Its stable and seems reasonably durable. In flight the bar pressure is very light. When sheeted to the point of backstall there is noticeable sag in the rear lines. Turning speed is reasonable for a 9m foil kite. The canopy is solid in the air and is easy to do stunt kite style propeller tricks with this kite.

Moving the bar does not seem to make an immediate change in kite power in the way one would expect from flying tube kites or modern Ozone and Flysurfer foil kites. Sheeting in does not have a big effect on lift, but slows the kite down as it moves across the window. It also will pull the whole kite much deeper in the window. Sheeting out allows the kite to move to the edge, but with an increase in power as it speeds up until it reaches the edge. The result is a kite thats not very exciting, and I suspect some edging will be needed to access the depower.

Immediately I find my self wondering if I could get more out of it if I shortened B and C. I also wonder if I'll have time to bother. Compared to Hyperlink 9 in regular cloth at 1764 g. The Hyperlink is fast through the air, faster turning and produces a ton of lift when pulling on the bar. There is no question the Hyperlink will go earlier on the hydrofoil for me and be more fun to fly.

I think this Pansh is a good kite for the price. I think A15 in a larger size would make a good light wind insurance policy for somebody who does not want to spend more. But I think it would be a shame if a kiter were to judge foil kite performance based on this kite alone.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:52 am

Huh,

I'm also very happy with my Sonic v1 9m, paid about 360 Euros, no bar, so can't complain:) If only I could find 11m in here...

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:12 am

downunder wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:52 am
Huh,

I'm also very happy with my Sonic v1 9m, paid about 360 Euros, no bar, so can't complain:) If only I could find 11m in here...
Thats a very nice price on a Sonic. I would guess this A9 is about as opposite a Sonic as you could get.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:40 am

Hello jakemoore . I am 100 % with your review and conclusions
About fun to use I feel the same comparision between a15 vs Conceptair Pulsion that you have described with a15 vs Hyperlink. I would add that Pulsion stays earlier in the sky in low winds.
We can repeat that a15 is very stable, accessible and plug and play for a foil beginner.

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:43 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:25 am
New kite landed today. I had enough daylight for a short static flight on land. Standard lines on a 2016 Ozone bar (20m?) The wind was 12 knots recorded. Gusts to 14 by my estimate.

Ultralight is 1801 grams. The bridle is very long and fiddly. Its not a big deal but may put off somebody who is not disciplined with a foil kite. It was set up correctly from the factory. Connected to the Ozone bar using ELC as knots on the front lines and using just loops on the back lines. The kite inflated easily and came right to zenith, flying true and stable with 4 equal line lengths.

The upside is it does fly pretty well in lightish wind. Even when depowered down low at the edge of the window is easy to bring the kite to zenith without down looping. Its stable and seems reasonably durable. In flight the bar pressure is very light. When sheeted to the point of backstall there is noticeable sag in the rear lines. Turning speed is reasonable for a 9m foil kite. The canopy is solid in the air and is easy to do stunt kite style propeller tricks with this kite.

Moving the bar does not seem to make an immediate change in kite power in the way one would expect from flying tube kites or modern Ozone and Flysurfer foil kites. Sheeting in does not have a big effect on lift, but slows the kite down as it moves across the window. It also will pull the whole kite much deeper in the window. Sheeting out allows the kite to move to the edge, but with an increase in power as it speeds up until it reaches the edge. The result is a kite thats not very exciting, and I suspect some edging will be needed to access the depower.

Immediately I find my self wondering if I could get more out of it if I shortened B and C. I also wonder if I'll have time to bother. Compared to Hyperlink 9 in regular cloth at 1764 g. The Hyperlink is fast through the air, faster turning and produces a ton of lift when pulling on the bar. There is no question the Hyperlink will go earlier on the hydrofoil for me and be more fun to fly.

I think this Pansh is a good kite for the price. I think A15 in a larger size would make a good light wind insurance policy for somebody who does not want to spend more. But I think it would be a shame if a kiter were to judge foil kite performance based on this kite alone.
Thanks again Jake (and others).

Very helpful review for general info, etc.

After reading maybe 100s of individual posts, much of what you stated is confirmation of my understandings for foil kites and the Pansh Aurora II.

Was able to fly my 10m again and now understand that the amount of trim is WAY too short - even though equal line lengths. So changed length of trim system and I'm sure that my next experience will be very similar to your review and many other reviews and videos.

Thanks!!!!

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:02 pm

Tested my a15 in 9m2 on soft snow (main application in my case) ; very happy with it .

Stability is really really good even in mountains; you benefit from closed cells structure and it seemd more stable than the Ozone open cell from a friend (rapid feeling to be confirmed) . Agility is enough to climb up mountains ; I would have dreamed of shorter radius without pulling hard on the bar but it is acceptable, far better than Lotus S4 10m but not so good as Concept'air Pulsion.

Launch and relaunch were really safe in this wind range, and I have been able to relaunch several times in all 'funny' kite initial positions. Depower is not wonderfull but I was able to ride comfortably in 4-16 knots (26-28 m lines are still a bit long for this 9m2).

Wind was too low overlall to test proper jumps, but hangtime seems medium I would say (which can be an advantage in snow). I tested my first tacks on ski and it was so great with the a15 that it became the main theme of the day :jump: . : with / without speed, with / without loop, with / without unvoluntary backward jumps , with my ski trace never re-crosssing itself (like air tack on foil, upwind only), etc ...

Light cloth is not mandatory but it was very comfortable even in 9m2 in 4-5 knots lulls to keep the kite in the air waiting for the next gust.

This is a very good deal for that price IMO.

Return to “Foil Kites”