which kite to complement Ozone Hyperlink 12m and Ozone Chrono V2 UL 18m

For all foil kite riders
borist
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: which kite to complement Ozone Hyperlink 12m and Ozone Chrono V2 UL 18m

Postby borist » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:05 am

I find HL's front stall very mild, a possible issue only at gusty spot. You could use brake cross-line to prevent it on land or put couple inch long pigtails on front lines. You can trim that amount in easily if you want to get lines even while riding.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:23 am

Agree the front stall is mild. The only two places I experience are:

1) During wind shifts in light winds if the kite is sitting at the edge of the window especially with the bar depowered. There is a need to fly the kite actively or keep it back in the window

2) After water relaunch while the kite is flying to zenith again if the kite is fully depowered.

I hope Ozone does not tune out the front stall for V2 if we lose the fast forward flying character and power for size. Its just a little less tolerant of error than most mid aspect foil kites and its a worthwhile trade for the performance.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:42 am

wil wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:30 am
Regis and jakemoore. I am coming to the conclusion that I would be best to fly the 12m Hyperlink on longer lines. I have 25m lines and 20m lines. Also will try to set up so the kite will back stall a bit when bar fully pulled in.

In regards to getting the kite to back stall what are the suggestion in terms of back or front line length's?
In decent wind I'm using a regular bar with equal lines, either Ozone with 20m or Naish with 24 m. The shift from 24 to 30 meter lines makes a significant difference for me in light winds.

Its tough to answer exactly because there is more inherent back-stall due to rear line sag as the lines get longer. So for example I am using 300 pound Q-Power on 30 meter lines to reduce the sag. The lines are very thin compared to most kite lines. Also I have my bar set with a cleat and very large amount of movement in the trim so I can go to very over sheeted to very depowered. I'm not really looking to see where in the trimmer the lines are equal.

So my advise is to tune the bar so there max power with zero back-stall as one would expect with an equal length 20M line bar. Then add 5-10 cm to the rear lines. Once you pull the bar to the max, the kite should lose power, back into the window to about 45-60 degrees straight downwind, but not collapse. This will not be a desirable setting if you are riding unhooked or using the bar against the chicken loop to shift your weight around, but it helps a lot to keep out of trouble when dragging out for water start or trying to keep the kite in the air in a lull or during a crash.

Last tip to keep the kite dry is when body dragging out in light winds or setting up to water start, keep the kite high in the window, between 11 and 1 and don't fully depower the bar unless you are prepared to downloop the kite.

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor

Postby Nem0 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:19 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:50 am
Gents, the Soul is not out yet, why putting highlight on it now ? it seems to have a lot of internal reinforcements, and FS was not searching weight saving for years, so guessing it will be a lightwind killer is optimistic...
Because they will start selling it in 4 weeks! :thumb:

The Soul will be built with the same fabric as Sonic RACE! The Sonics are one of the lightest kites as you can see in the IKA list!

There is a new comment of an very expereanced kiter http://forum.oase.com/showpost.php?p=13 ... tcount=105 which makes me beleaving the Soul would be one of the best kites ever!!! :rollgrin:

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:05 am

It is a bit out of topic, but my initial point was that I do not see any adding value advising this kite to wil until there are enough reviews to avoid unadapted choice. The review you provide does not seem very objective, guessing that such a guy (that already has in hand one prototype and one serie model of Soul) may have certain "links" with FS; BTW the sonic race cloth is 32 gr / 27 gr (27/27 was tested then abandoned by FS); This is a significant improvement vs the heaviest sonic fr, however not a killer among race foil kites (r1v2 is lightest for example), while final weight of the Soul will also depend on internal structure architecture, which at first sight seems (for good rigidity reason certainly) dense, hence not the lightest vs Pulsion or HL light. Let's see after a weight measure :P

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:37 pm

Will... i think fitting another kite in between your HL 12 and Chrono v2 18 UL might be a bit of an overkill as your setup seems awesome. I use the 15m Chrono v2 UL at 68kg, when conditions are super light and understand your concern of dropping the kites and being forced to do a self rescue. The UL material is very impressive for light wind performance as im sure you have experienced with your 18m. I think to possibly close the gap between your 2 kites, is with a 12m HL in UL material (ie if you had the opportunity to sell the HL 12 and replace with HL12 UL). I have put a handful of hours on the 7m HL and have been very impressed on the lowend stability and power. I havent seen any hindenburgs on this kite most likely due to the fact that even when there is not enough power to pull me, the kite will still fly comfortably. Saying that, when conditions are super light for the relative size kite, i will at times (when fallen off board) fractionally oversheet the bar (add more back line tension) so the kite sits back a fraction, and keep moving the kite. Naturally if the kite starts stalling heavily, sheet out, but as it races forward, sheet back to get the a certain level of line tension. It is possible that with more time on the water the windrange gap between your two kites will be reduced.

Turbaani
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby Turbaani » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:23 pm

IWB2 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:37 pm
Will... i think fitting another kite in between your HL 12 and Chrono v2 18 UL might be a bit of an overkill as your setup seems awesome. I use the 15m Chrono v2 UL at 68kg, when conditions are super light and understand your concern of dropping the kites and being forced to do a self rescue. The UL material is very impressive for light wind performance as im sure you have experienced with your 18m. I think to possibly close the gap between your 2 kites, is with a 12m HL in UL material (ie if you had the opportunity to sell the HL 12 and replace with HL12 UL). I have put a handful of hours on the 7m HL and have been very impressed on the lowend stability and power. I havent seen any hindenburgs on this kite most likely due to the fact that even when there is not enough power to pull me, the kite will still fly comfortably. Saying that, when conditions are super light for the relative size kite, i will at times (when fallen off board) fractionally oversheet the bar (add more back line tension) so the kite sits back a fraction, and keep moving the kite. Naturally if the kite starts stalling heavily, sheet out, but as it races forward, sheet back to get the a certain level of line tension. It is possible that with more time on the water the windrange gap between your two kites will be reduced.
Well this topic is about windranges so...

How do you feel on the 15m UL? Is it a perfect size for you for lightwind hydrofoiling or would you benefit from 18? Or how much you lose lowend if you had only a 12m chrono UL?

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:33 pm

Hi Turbaani,
I do really like the Chrono V2 15 UL.. I think having this kite in the UL material is needed to push the super lowend when riding a foilboard at my weight and foils used. I felt the UL material in the Chrono allowed for a bit more stability when pushing the lowend when compared to a 11m V2 in their relative size. I think at my weight the 15m V2 Ul was a good choice for my largest kite, however ones mind is always thinking is it possible to get out in lighter wind with another kite... lol . The 18m Chrono V2 UL possibly could have provided a fraction more lowend but I was unsure about going that route. I did see on kiteforum someone (Marco , I think) who has the 15m V2 UL (and around 68kg) mention that the R1v2 in 17m or could have been 19m went to a whole new level of lowend which was interesting to hear. Ozone offers a 11m and 13m Chrono V2 UL, however don't think a 12m UL as you request. There was a Chrono 12m V1 however this was more of a race kite like the R1. Saying that There is a definite improvement in lightwind performance when going from the 11m Chrono V2 to the Chrono V2 15UL. The 11m starts to windtip tuck, show signs of stalling when pushed at its lowend and the 15m UL is very comfortable in those same winds and of course can be pushed lower. I think there is a nice compliment having those 2 sizes in the Chrono V2. If I had to replace the 11m v2 it would be in the 11m V3 UL next time or even possibly a HL 9m UL.

Turbaani
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby Turbaani » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:43 pm

Thanks for the response IWB2!
I have been thinking which size to get as my first foil, and you gave good tips. I think im going for the 15m size too.

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:11 pm

Turbaani,
no worries... I would definitely put the HL in the UL into the options as well such as the 12m. I have used the 7m HL a little bit and have been very impressed with how forgiving and stable it is. I have not tested the water relaunch but reports seem very positive in this area. The Chrono V2 seems to have more lift when going though tacks/gybes, than the HL, however this could be just due to using the 7m which will feel lighter. The Chrono V3 sounds like a very good option also as they have worked on making it more forgiving and stable and when in super light winds or gusty winds this is key.

Return to “Foil Kites”