For all foil kite riders
kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Re: which kite to complement Ozone Hyperlink 12m and Ozone Chrono V2 UL 18m

Postby kitejumping » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:11 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:05 am
It is a bit out of topic, but my initial point was that I do not see any adding value advising this kite to wil until there are enough reviews to avoid unadapted choice. The review you provide does not seem very objective, guessing that such a guy (that already has in hand one prototype and one serie model of Soul) may have certain "links" with FS; BTW the sonic race cloth is 32 gr / 27 gr (27/27 was tested then abandoned by FS); This is a significant improvement vs the heaviest sonic fr, however not a killer among race foil kites (r1v2 is lightest for example), while final weight of the Soul will also depend on internal structure architecture, which at first sight seems (for good rigidity reason certainly) dense, hence not the lightest vs Pulsion or HL light. Let's see after a weight measure :P
How much do the R1v2's weigh? My 20m Aero is less than a Sonic Race 18m. Never flown a sonic race, but the aero ultralight 20 destroys my sonic fr 18 for light wind performance.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:04 am

2.4 kg. For info Pulsion 15 is about 2kg .
Peter lynn Aero is a wonderful option for marginal wind. Zenith is very close to Pulsion according to a friend how owns the two. Starts almost at the same low end if the wind is very regular and then ride much faster. A bit less stable in the very low end and near the exreme wind window. I would really compare it to the r1v2 on this point. Forget the soniv fr v1 for marginal wind ... so not surprised ta Aero is better in marginal wind...

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:45 am

My largest kite is an 18m Chrono with the next size down being a 12m.
A 15m perhaps would probably fill the gap quite nicely in theory, but from experience it if I bought a 15m I can’t imagine ever using it.
For me, when there’s not enough wind for the 12m, then I select the 18m. It’s very much a personal choice and subject to the usual variables.
Looking at the title of this thread “Which kite to complement Ozone Hyperlink 12m and Ozone Chrono v2 UL 18m” They are two very different kites(design wise) and whatever kite you place between them I would suspect that one kite is not going to get much use.

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:04 am

A 12m and 18m is a good combo.

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.
Been thanked: 0

Postby hudstur » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:14 pm

Ok, I have a Chrono V3 15m and want to complement with a smaller foil kite. Thinking a Chrono V3 9m or 11m, probably an 11m. Or , now with the Hyperlink out maybe a 12m HL UL instead of the Chrono. I am 102kg/225lbs. Ride a Lift foil board. When i buy one of the selections mentioned, one would take the place of my Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5m and 12m, and I would keep my Flite 8m and 10m. Any suggestions or insights greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Hud.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:31 pm

Depending on what wind speed you feel comfortable riding in may form part of the decision making process for when trying to decide what size kite to go for.
I don’t ride foil boards so not able to comment as such, but my understanding is that you need less wind as compared with a twin tip for example.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:24 pm

I think for freeride, a foil kite quiver can span a 5m-6m size gap pretty easily if the user skill level is there. For example, a freeride quiver might be 7/12/18 or 8/13/18. Back when Nico Parlier was riding the original R1V1's on his Spotz2, he said his quiver was 8, 13, 17.

Racers usually want 4 kites (limited by the rules in most places), so the gaps would become a little smaller. Schools or beginner riders would want their inventory in 2m gaps so that they can match kites to conditions perfectly, especially at schools with lots of different rider sizes/strength/weights using the gear.

I've found immense value in light wind beach sessions with my largest race foils, usually on days when it's too offshore or too light to foil. Run around practicing one-handed tacks and gybes as if you were on the water just to get the timing down so that once you're on the foil, the kite flying feels natural. That's the biggest difference I've discovered since flying foil kites, "what's possible," is always a factor of skill and experience when talking about these things, and there's no such thing as too much practice.

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Skywalker7 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:50 pm

wil wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:05 am
I have only just used my 12m Hyperlink twice. First time went ok till the wind dropped and it did a perfect Hindenburg and then it became impossible to relaunch. filled up with lots of water. Got rescued. Second time was in 8 to 10 knots wind but a bit up and down with patches with very light wind. Dropped the kite 3 times. Even after if rolled over a few times and got tangled got it up. I was quite pleased with that because I would not have been able to relaunch my Cabrinha Apollo 12m. I am an beginner to intermediate foiler and had some trouble getting used to under looping it. I also have an 18m Chrono V2 UL but this is such a big kite that I am not that comfortable taking that out yet in fluky wind conditions. Do not want to swim in with that much material. My question is what is the most cost effective way of getting a foil kite between these sizes. I presume the Pansh (either Aurora or A15 Ul versions) could do the trick. Do the Pansh kites handle a lot different from the Hyperlink?
If you have a twintip and surfboard and a hydrofoil on the beach you can handle the missing gap between the 12 M and 18M easily, if not then you need a 15 M. The Flysurfer Soul is very good and very stable kite, and insanely front stall resistant. Just rode yesterday the 12 meter and after an unhooked tricked (s-bend) I got some extra gust and there was no chance to hook it back so I had to let the bar go. My safety leash was set on a suicide mode so the bar went up untill the trimm (the kite already was depowered for the unhooking) and the kite was shooting up to 12 and the edge of the wind window and I was expecting a huge frontal with my kite is collapsing. No collapse was happening, the kite remained stable at the 12 o'clock. Very interesting test. If you have a chance just test ride a Flysurfer Soul.

Return to “Foil Kites”