Style: freeride
Gear: OR Flite
Sector V4 54
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Short mast cons during learning

Postby rolkite » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:11 am

Hi, Im a begginer and just trying to keep foil balanced on 60cm mast and LF Happy Foil 2017 medium aspect carbon wings.
I understand this wings are a little fast reacting than desired to begin with, but that´s what I could get.

My question is if using the full mast at this stage should I have more time to react with front foot to counter balance the sudden rise of the nose (involuntary dolphin motion), by having "more distance" to impact water.

Thanks a lot

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Re: Short mast cons during learning

Postby Jyoder » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:56 am

I find if my front foot is too far forward, then I dolphin more because i’m leaning back too far to compensate. I’m on a full length LF mast. I doubt mast length makes much difference in this one regard, except that with a short mast you may be able to recover more easily by planing the board on the surface instead of nose-diving and crashing.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:00 am

In the beginning any wings feel “little too fast reacting” :)
I doubt the long mast gives you more time to recover from porpoising, but it certainly makes nosedives pointed more down and you “eat it“ more often.

Keep riding - you’ll be over porpoising in a few sessions. If you feel porpoising happens when you slow down - you’re reaching lowend (stall speed) of your wings.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:19 am

I did the early stages with a 90cm mast due to it being what I had. I think a shorter mast would have had fewer painful wipeouts. As said a few sessions and you will move past that.

If the nose is coming up suddenly consider moving your back foot forward or moving the foil back in the tracks if the board has the option. Keep it low and learn to go faster.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:22 am

I find that shorter masts require you to really be careful with your elevation above the water. If you have a longer mast and you rise up a little higher than you would like, you have more time to gently steer the foil down. I have shorter masts for shallow water but I really dislike using them.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:47 am

When you write "involuntary dolphin motion", it indicates that you currently don't have good control yet. You are letting it "dolphin". Just stick with the shorter mast....guarantee you it will not take as long as you think it will to tame the dolphin.

rolkite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Buenos Aires
Style: freeride
Gear: OR Flite
Sector V4 54
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby rolkite » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:24 pm

Really appreciate your comments, I ll be trying with patience...
Have a good sailing!!

Return to “Foil Kites”