Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Speed system / mixer test explanations

Postby foilholio » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:35 am

kit expert wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:59 pm
Mixer does not necessary change camber at all
See now that's it, stick to the same line and it's more believable. Now you'll gain more groupies and religious zealots.
kit expert wrote:
If you'd understand foilholio what I've explained here you could see it immediately by looking any modern foil kite.
Oh I understand exactly what you write but do you?
kit expert wrote:
the main reason for that adjustment is to counter pulley line shrink, not to adjust camber.
Come on now stop the contradicting in the same post! Better you say now mixer adjustment isn't needed because the mixer can't adjust camber then even pulley line shrink has no effect. Oh and by the way that video of Armin talking about how the mixer can change camber, he is an idiot.

I think you should really start criticizing Armin, it will make you look more superior.
kit expert wrote:
For example Ozone doesn't even have that possibility.
They didn't put water drainage on their first water foil either but hey what do I know.

kit expert wrote:
Pansh Aurora is not a very good design in the first place
So how many have you own and flown? LOL
kit expert wrote:
and even worse to improve it
I know I know ! things always get worse when you improve them! Pity the english language doesn't have word for that? I would call it WORSEN if it did!
kit expert wrote:
Some tweaks are for sure possible, but I meant something more than that.
Wow amazing!
kitexpert wrote:
I don't know what front stall and back stall means. It is a fact if you have tight Z and you sheet in your kite will backstall, even fast
You are the expert who am I to deny you? :-)
kit expert wrote:
and why on earth this trivial setup isn't more used if it was any good?
LOL

kit expert wrote:
If kite (sewn) shape does not match bridle shape result is distorted shape (bends, creases, bulging etc.) It means more drag and less performance. Exception is high AoA flying when added camber is more useful than distorted shape, because drag is very high in any case.
I have been telling all the Airlines to stop using flaps for the same reason. None of them listen to me! I started drawing airplane designs when I was 3, I am an expert what do they know!
kit expert wrote:
If you think low camber kite tweaked by mixer to high camber is somewhat better than kite with that same high camber "sewn in" you are wrong. Every part of that tweaked kite is wrong shaped for that new camber, every single part.
All those parafoil (kite and glider) companies that make all their foils like that, what idiots. Don't they understand what you say?
kit expert wrote:
Unfortunately I've not had any new ideas here, at least so far
I think you mean the last 2 decades.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:06 am

It is two totally different when 1) mixer is used as a method to control AoA when flying a kite and 2)it is used as a method to tweak kite airfoil shape, its camber. This tweaking could be just as well done without mixer, it is just changing some bridle line lengths.

Foilholio is apparently disabled to tell these things from each other and thinks that mixer is some kind of miracle invention which can make shitty kites great by tweaking it endlessly. No :lol:

It is another question if mixer combined with bridle line row locations do change camber during the flying the kite. Very often it does, but not necessarily and nowadays mostly used linear mixers don't do it much. Like I wrote, if you'd understand it you didn't have to argue, just looking at any modern kite is enough.

It is correct what Armin explains in his video, you can tweak bridle lines so that camber of kite changes. Like I already wrote it is not relevant how this adjustment is done. Mixer (in flight) always pulls line rows exactly same way (normally C 1:2, and B 1:4).

When you foilholio ask me to criticize Armin you just reveal your own lack of understanding :roll:

If Regis feels his kite works better with higher camber perhaps he should have higher camber kite. Tweaking low camber kite to high camber kite is not ideal but it is useful if better option is not available.

When you foilholio write companies making there kites and wings "like that" it is beyond ridiculous. You don't know how they do it, if airfoil is thick or thin or if it has low or high camber - you just don't know anything :D

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa

Postby foilholio » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:03 pm

kit expert wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:06 am
It is two totally different when 1) mixer is used as a method to control AoA when flying a kite and 2)it is used as a method to tweak kite airfoil shape, its camber. This tweaking could be just as well done without mixer, it is just changing some bridle line lengths.
Do you realize the mixer is part of the bride? Especially the Mains which is what you adjust when altering the "mixer".
kit expert wrote:
Foilholio is apparently disabled to tell these things from each other and thinks that mixer is some kind of miracle invention which can make shitty kites great by tweaking it endlessly. No :lol:
Congratulations for putting words in my mouth and making fun of disabled people. It is good to change mixer settings for some conditions.
kit expert wrote:
It is another question if mixer combined with bridle line row locations do change camber during the flying the kite. Very often it does, but not necessarily and nowadays mostly used linear mixers don't do it much. Like I wrote, if you'd understand it you didn't have to argue, just looking at any modern kite is enough.
I think what you are trying to say in a complicated way is you can't change the camber on a kite. Which I thought was your consistent mantra.
kit expert wrote:
It is correct what Armin explains in his video, you can tweak bridle lines so that camber of kite changes.
Now you are just confusing everyone, it can it can't. Make your mind and try stick to one personality, or did you miss some medication? Maybe that is the problem.
kit expert wrote:
Like I already wrote it is not relevant how this adjustment is done.
Are you trying to say "you can't adjust the camber on a kite"? How many times are you going to switch opinion on that in one post?
kit expert wrote:
Mixer (in flight) always pulls line rows exactly same way (normally C 1:2, and B 1:4).
Oh you are trying to say "you can't adjust camber on a kite". So if I fold a rope in half it is the same length right?
kit expert wrote:
When you foilholio ask me to criticize Armin you just reveal your own lack of understanding :roll:
You are correct I didn't see your multiple personality disorder. Now I know I am dealing with different people often in the same post it makes sense. Can you tell me the name of the person that believes in camber adjustment and the one that doesn't, or is it like one is not aware of the other?
kit expert wrote:
If Regis feels his kite works better with higher camber perhaps he should have higher camber kite.
No that wouldn't work at all.
kit expert wrote:
Tweaking low camber kite to high camber kite is not ideal but it is useful if better option is not available.
That is how advanced kites are designed.
kit expert wrote:
When you foilholio write companies making there kites and wings "like that" it is beyond ridiculous. You don't know how they do it, if airfoil is thick or thin or if it has low or high camber - you just don't know anything :D
look in the mirror and say that.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:21 pm

You foilholio mess different things together and then say I'm inconsistent etc. when I'm not doing it. And when you argue against trivial facts I've told here it is just stupid, Like if Regis had higher camber kite instead of tweaked lower camber kite it "would not work at all" or you claiming to know how "advanced kites are designed" or asking me silly questions like you do in your last post.

I've had enough of this nonsense :roll:

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa

Postby foilholio » Tue May 01, 2018 1:59 am

ROFL

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:53 am

about the release of the new Hawk kite from Pansh, there is another speed system implemented , we can present it and discuss it here to avoid long dicussions on the Hawk topic ;
here is its design :

and the conclusion I made when studying it :
Regis-de-giens wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:42 am
(...) In a nutshell Jacko (developped by some users on Genesis Pansh) and this mixer are not the same because Jacko will change de camber during the bar pull (less camber when puling in as far as I remember) ; Funalex (Hawk here above) , or standard, or the one I developped and called 'Malabar" or the pulley bars (that indeed just doubles the stroke) are all the same regarding camber stability.
Only difference is the lever arm felt in your arms vs standard 1:2:4 :
- Pulley bar or Malabar mixer test = +100% more depower, more agility and more bar pressure (geometrical , 2/ 1;2;4)
- Hawk = +50% more depower, more agility and more bar pressure (geometrical, 3 /1;2;4)
- Standard= +0% regarding depower, agility and bar pressure (geometrical, 4 /1;2;4)
... but all the sane camber evolution during the bar stroke ;

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:41 pm

See the thread I referred to. Jackov proposed a new untested mixer which is exactly the hawk mixer with the same stated goals.
viewtopic.php?p=1085311#p1085311

And this is the thread where you say that it won't work :wink:
viewtopic.php?p=1085365#p1085365

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:50 pm

:thumb: Yes, by looking at it in your link, they look the same ; my mistake sorry;
I have to remember why I thought Jacko would decrease the camber while sheeting in ... which is not the case on those mixers.

About the reserves I had at that time, was not actually a no-go or impossibility, but a " chance" that depending on wind irregularity, tension would swap from C to Z through the rear line pulley, so it could be less stable because rear line pulley could transfert stroke from C to Z without fixing them independently; but apparently, the constant partition of tensions ( C higher that Z ) is stable enough to get a stable profil; great ! And I know that Funalex tested the Hawk in high gusty winds . great ...

I'll look at previous posts again to chase the mistakes I could have done.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:07 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:50 pm
:thumb: Yes, by looking at it in your link, they look the same ; my mistake sorry;
I have to remember why I thought Jacko would decrease the camber while sheeting in ... which is not the case on those mixers.
Maybe you are mixing up two things: The Jacko mod used on the pre 2021 genesis and A15 refers to a 2/3:2:1 (Bar/Z:C:B) mixer which will indeed decrease camber as you sheet in (in theory). But the picture linked above by Jackov was a new proposal to avoid this issue.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:14 pm

Re Regis/Hawk mixer:

Not sure I can follow your ratios and the mixer is upside down to me so forgive me if this does not make sense; but to me that looks the same as a standard mixer except for the rear pulley. This pulley means that if tension in Z is high it will be moderated by pulling the attached loop thus exerting a pull on C until the tension is even. Some might, loosely describe, pulling on C as reducing camber, but I would prefer to think of C as the forward part of the trailing edge, where a pull on it could actually be increasing camber. These are just first thoughts and are not necessarily correct.

Return to “Foil Kites”