Rare Poster
Gear: A few Access foils
Kahoona 12
Rally 14, 15
Learning on a 6m WASP
Brand Affiliation: None

Why do my front lines twist?

Postby soplo » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Newbie question alert: I've noticed that my front lines get REALLY twisted and it's hard to untangle without disconnecting/reconnecting the line. Am I causing that somehow? And how important is that? I can't tell if it's affecting handling that much, but I'd rather be safe.

I'm not doing powerloops or anything—just figure 8's and maybe the occasional twist when the kite lands upside down and I reverse launch. But I quickly flip the bar and untwist if the kite flips the wrong way. Still, the front lines seem to always be twisted.

When I pack up the kite, I wrap the lines in a figure 8 around the bar, and the rear lines come out fine (not tangled with anything).

Most recently this happened with an Ozone Access (2011 model, I think?).

Thanks for any tips!

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Re: Why do my front lines twist?

Postby kitejumping » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:34 pm

If you always loop the kite the same way the front line used for the safety will get twisted, even when you remove the twists from the bar.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Why do my front lines twist?

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:09 pm

Do you have a swivel between your chicken loop and where the front lines split above the bar? On my Ozone control system, I can just untwist the front lines below the bar because ther'es a swivel between the CL and the depower rope.

Return to “Foil Kites”