Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby drsurf » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:58 pm

Nem0 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:49 pm
Flag53 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:48 am
Has anyone tried adjusting the profile adjusters yet ?
I shortened each PMA one knot!
Don't touch the last one in the tips.
Otherwise they start to clapping.
And the kite performance changed in what way?

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:31 pm

At the Manual we have details about the PMA and its effects (page 20): https://flysurfer.com/de/download/20122/

We only recommend to touch them if you know very well what you are doing. If you have a problem with the mixer test, don't tough the PMA.

The PMA Profil Momentum Adjuster change the airfoil pitching momentum when the kite is depowered or have slacked lines.
This means, you define the remaining min AOA while depowered. The depowered AOA define how much resistant you have until if collapse (AOA<0) and how big the amount of depower is.

If you increase the momentum (shortening the topsail), the Kite nosedive less and is more stable=higher remaining AOA. But at the same time you reduce the max depower you get.
If you decrease the momentum (shortening the botsail), the Kite nosedive more and gets more unstable. At the same amount you increase the max depower.

Usually, we recommend not to touch the PMA, except the kite flys not perfect and all other setups (Bridle, Mixer, Straps inside the Kites, ...) is are on original length. It is like overclocking a CPU. You should know well what you are doing.

We deliver the SOUL quite stable. There is a possibility to decrease stability to get more depower. The PMA change depower at the place where the PMA are. It is also possible to make the kite more stable, at the part of the wingspan you want it.

The personal perfect Setup of PMA can be at one kite a bit different than at the other one. Don't just copy and paste the setup from some else.

I hope, that explains it a bit.

Cheers, Armin

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed

Postby Flag53 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:30 am

Thanks for the reply Armin 👍

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.
Been thanked: 0

Postby hudstur » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:17 am

I have a Soul 12m for sale with bar/lines. Flown twice. Totally new
condition, no repairs or blemishes. Got injured, my loss is your gain.
$2,200, includes packaging & shipping.

Hudstur@bellsouth.net

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster

Postby Armin Harich » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:12 pm

Olly did his King of the Air entry video. If you want to see the first foil competing there, please vote for him and share it. It would be even more interesting for every one, even for PMU :-)

You can vote after every reload of the page:
https://www.redbull.com/za-en/events/re ... ew-entries

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:50 pm

havnt flown a soul yet but own a few others foil kites and will have to agree with this guy the new foil kites are really amazing and will please 80% or riders who actually try one. They do a lot of things very well .
drsurf wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:55 pm
downunder wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:15 pm
drsurf wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:48 pm
Been using the 6m Soul mainly on a foilboard but also twintip. I'm 65kg and live in a windy area but have been using the kite in winds from under 10 knots to about 20 knots.
• Bar pressure neither high or low, gives good feel for the kite
• Speed in a straight line builds gradually and on a foilboard is currently faster than my skill and choppy conditions allow
• Good turning speed considering it's high aspect, high projected area, compared to LEI kites. Power is in a different part of the turn but by varying sheeting you can make it work how you like it.
• Upwind on foil or TT is excellent. Even in light wind you can sine the kite for power and still make ground on a TT
• It feels like a kite anyone could use, it's easy to fly and control. However the better you are the more you'll get from the kite
• it doesn't seem to take on water. Unless you've absolutely no wind the kite relaunches from the water better than any other kite I've used. Pull one line or do a reverse launch. I've swam in bags of water with past foils but with the Soul it's hard to imagine. (Oh if you think the profile means you'll take in a lot of water you'd have to be an amateur. Anyone with any foil sense would roll the kite up before it filled assuming there was no wind to launch. And the Soul fabric seems to repel the water)
• All foil kites like a helper for landing. However I've landed the Soul on the back lines myself easily with no problems or tangles
• Downwind on a foilboard is where the Soul really shines. Fantastic drift makes it easy to control and keep in the sky where you want it. Heavier LEI kites cannot compare
• You have to fly the Soul when new for about 5 hours for it to stretch the lines into perfect position then it really feels sweet
• Biiigg wind range

You also need to fly the Soul for a couple of hours to really get a feel for the kite. A couple of runs on a TT won't give you time to get the most out of the kite. It really needs to be used with a foilboard to see how good this kite is. I've yet to have a day with light enough wind to say I can't get flying on my foilboard, and this is a small 6m foil! Granted I'm light and I do have a Moses 633 as one of my foils :D

Now I must disclose that I sell Flysurfer kites as well as other brands. Over the past 20 years I have used foil kites and Arcs previously and found too many downsides, and therefore have a range of LEI kites which work well for me. But the more I fly the Soul the better it feels.

Downsides: It's expensive. In Australia good foil kites like Souls and Hyperlinks aren't cheap. However the Soul seems built to last. No zips anywhere to corrode when packed away, all bridle lines available as spare parts along with other hardware. Bridles have easy adjustment checking and there is also additional tuning capability built inside the kite. I think that Flysurfer recommends speedsystem bridle replacement at 250 hours which is a lot of kiting and seems to reflect a materials strategy that is designed for longevity. So considering this and the wind range you may needs less kites and update them less often. This may equalise the price differential.
If you're in Australia and in NSW and want to try these kites feel free to contact me.

Have fun, Dave
Umm,

You do realize that u are comparing apples against oranges? Moses 633? Have no idea what that is.

As I said, and the user reported after me, 12m is quite slow with steering.
6m pivots well? Sure, it is 6m.

Plus, there are reports an6m will overfly the wind window. Just saying, search this forum. Overflying is quite dangerous on a foil...

Remember, there are a lot of “real” amateurs, as u called me, who will buy this kite as a first foil. And Im not one of them.

It is a good kite tho. Cant fault it. But saying that it will replace the whole quiver says more about the rider than the reality. For me, it is horses for courses.

I mean, u selling it, so...Its strange how many sellers are reporting all glory, its little too much me thinks.

D.
Ahh Downunder. Read a bit about you, thought you'd take the bait :D

Apples, oranges, my good man we are talking about kitesurfing here! I'll just accept you had a minor brain fart about fruit.

Now your next comment about not knowing what a Moses 633 is tells us all a lot about your knowledge. Over here on the east coast we have google which can tell you all about a Moses 633 foil, one of the most talked about foils this year.

Of course a 12m Soul can be slow in steering compared to a tube kite if a) you're not experienced with turning a foil, b) you're comparing a 12m foil with a 12m tube kite and it goes on, but thats enough for now. Suffice to say a 12m Soul or Hyperlink could replace a 17-18m tube kite power wise for many users. Accordingly a 6m Soul can replace a range of tube kites for my weight from 5m to 9m. The characteristics are different, not good or bad just depends on what you like after you have used a given kite long enough to form a reasonable opinion. I use tube kites as well and sell them too. I reckon all the kites I sell are great :D

There are reports that people lighting farts can spontaneously explode leaving absolutely no trace :o But really, that's bullshit just like the propensity of the 6m Soul to overfly the wind window. You should know that all high aspect foils fly further forward in the wind window, but in my experience the 6m Soul drifts like something that drifts really well. And as much as I've tempted it to overfly while regularly crashing my foil board it shows no such desire.

Yes, I would have to say you would be an amateur to just buy a foil kite without any knowledge of how they work just as much as you would be an amateur to buy a tube kite online and try it out on a crowded beach with no knowledge of how it works. The foil kite buyer would be more cashed up however if they were buying new :D
I taught myself how to kite back in the days when two line kites were the latest thing and safety gear was something you had add yourself. Broke ribs and my neck on some of the basic gear back then. Much more advice now to help you learn to kite and decide what you need. You'd be crazy to not take advantage of that.

It's a good kite as you agree, and many others who use the Soul rather than selling it, (them be buyers), also agree. If you've used foil kites over the past 20 years you'll understand that kites like the Flysurfer Soul and Ozone Hyperlink have cracked a sweet spot where they actually can be used for a wide range of kitesurf, land & snow activities and are really great on foilboards. I do like a tube kite on my surfboard but I am gonna try surfing with the 6m Soul on short lines :D

When it all comes down to it, opinions are like arse holes, everyone has one. But factual experience comes from spending time and learning to get the most out of a given item. You seem to have a desire to take down what you see as hype and replace it with your own hype. It's still a democracy here and you're free to do so but be careful not to cross the dickhead line :D

BTW didn't you get a lecca lecca 11 MINIMAbeta as per the last quote here viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2400110&p=1028987 ... r#p1028987
How about a detailed report/comparative test unless I've missed one you've posted...

Have fun, Dave

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:39 pm

What other bars are you guys using on their Souls?
I intend to use an alternative bar to FS, I simply do not like it.
I will need to ensure the flag out is sufficient and line connections are suitable.
Any ideas?

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:57 pm

I use an Ozone race bar - same length and strength lines as FS but much prefer the bar, QR etc. Only thing is the double depower pulley so longer trim to pull, I actually like this as it means I can depower very accurately. I use a size larger than Flysurfer recommend, ie a 55cm bar for the 12m Soul.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:50 pm

Also consider a full carbon bar. As you tend to leave the bar attached to the foil it tends not to get rinsed and corrosion under the grip becomes an issue. Happened to my old FS bar so now use carbon bars instead.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:37 pm

New bar for fs peak is very nice. Eventhough you dont like fs bars look at it. Its very minimalistic setup one of cleanest from mass production. I personaly use custom carbon bar.

Return to “Foil Kites”