Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby andylc » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:22 am

Flat water and a 134/40 Lieuwe Shotgun. I’ve never gotten on with light wind twin tips. Not sure if it’s because of my weight but I find that if I have enough to get going a light wind board doesn’t really make much difference, and I don’t like the feel of a bigger board.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:50 pm

This thread screwed with my head. I have a hyperlink 9m and was about to buy the 12m, then I came across this...

I've ordered the 8m and 12m Soul without the ability to demo it, arrives next week. In two weeks there will either be a 9m Hyperlink for sale or two Souls!

Hope you guys are right!

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:03 am

We are so right. You will have a Hyperlink for sale. Says me without having flown a Hyperlink...

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:38 pm

Got my Soul 12 a couple weeks ago,

Generally wind conditions at lake Calima-Colombia (Home-Spot) are extremelly gusty so foil kites are a general no-no.
We have a few experienced foil racers on our spot going arround mainly on Ozone R1 V1's and R1 V2's, and I cant start telling you how many times they had to be picked up by a boat due to collapses, tangles, knot ties and water filled equipment.
Due to this I was really hesitant on getting a Soul, but oh god I was wrong...
The soul 12 behaves exceptionally well! launching from the shore, which usually is almost imposible on the Ozones R1's due to extremelly gusty conditions is as easy as a breeze. The kite literally eats gusts and whenever the wind dies down it just lightlly backstalls and gets positioned deeper into the wind window.
The kite is really good at going upwind, in both Twintips and hydrofoils, if compared with a high aspect inflatable (Cabrinha Apollo), the Soul seats closer to the edge of the window ang gives a more constand pull. When comparing to the upwind eficiency of the race foils there the soul fails to get the same angles, but just marginally.
Jumping is another great feature of the kite, my soul 12 really goes high, and the hangtime is amazing, although i ve still need to grasp the timing to land my jumps.
In conclusion, I m totally in love with the Soul, and I am seriouslly considering replacing my 9 meters pivot with a Soul 8.

Here i leave you a small clip I made last week.

https://youtu.be/s48Co5WXo2o

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:13 am

juanpasala wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:38 pm
Got my Soul 12 a couple weeks ago,

Generally wind conditions at lake Calima-Colombia (Home-Spot) are extremelly gusty so foil kites are a general no-no.
We have a few experienced foil racers on our spot going arround mainly on Ozone R1 V1's and R1 V2's, and I cant start telling you how many times they had to be picked up by a boat due to collapses, tangles, knot ties and water filled equipment.
Due to this I was really hesitant on getting a Soul, but oh god I was wrong...
The soul 12 behaves exceptionally well! launching from the shore, which usually is almost imposible on the Ozones R1's due to extremelly gusty conditions is as easy as a breeze. The kite literally eats gusts and whenever the wind dies down it just lightlly backstalls and gets positioned deeper into the wind window.
The kite is really good at going upwind, in both Twintips and hydrofoils, if compared with a high aspect inflatable (Cabrinha Apollo), the Soul seats closer to the edge of the window ang gives a more constand pull. When comparing to the upwind eficiency of the race foils there the soul fails to get the same angles, but just marginally.
Jumping is another great feature of the kite, my soul 12 really goes high, and the hangtime is amazing, although i ve still need to grasp the timing to land my jumps.
In conclusion, I m totally in love with the Soul, and I am seriouslly considering replacing my 9 meters pivot with a Soul 8.

Here i leave you a small clip I made last week.

https://youtu.be/s48Co5WXo2o
Lake Calima was one of my favorite stops on my motorcycle trip down to argentina, love it when the fog rolls in, it's like kiting in the clouds. Highly recommend the Soul 8m. I'm able to do powered kiteloops and I can't wait till I get enough wind to try the upper limit. Inflates super fast and drifts really fucking great. Here's the video I made of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5cn3iAfnic&t=24s

Macster
Frequent Poster

Postby Macster » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:12 am

Nice one Adventure Log. Check out the last jump this guy does!

https://youtu.be/g-RxT1FQ_Ws

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:08 am

Yea that's on the 6m, no surprise it loops fantastically.

Macster
Frequent Poster

Postby Macster » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:25 am

Finally got out on my new 12m today. Wind was all over the place.. 30 mins of 10 knots, then up to 18 knots then back to 10 again and an incoming tide which ate more into the power.

I rode on my highrocker wakestyle board with boots which is pretty wind hungry but at 82kgs, I could still ride the 12m when even the 15m LEI kites were struggling to hold their ground. So low end and power were very good but that's pretty standard on a foil kite.

Jumping was easy with very good height. I did find it dropped me fast so i started throwing downloops on the way down to soften the landings. One downloop i threw too early, just off the apex of the jump at about 9-10 meters high and felt the full fury of the Soul and a pretty rough landing where i thought i might have broken a rib for a moment!

Launching and landing was ok, possibly a bit easier than my Hyperlink cause it seems to hold a little more shape when filling with air / launching and once inflated, stays inflated.

Flew it on my 50cm Ozone bar with 20m lines. Loops were fairly quick but you needed to fishpole. The brake handle got caught up a few times when looping, strangely this has never happened to me on the hyperlink. Maybe it was because i got pulled downwind really fast and got some slack in the lines.

Anyway, very happy and just some quick observations / first impressions so far. Keen to try on my foil board soon.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:47 pm

Macster,

How's the bar feel, depower throw, depower feeling compared to your Hyperlink?

Macster
Frequent Poster

Postby Macster » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:59 am

TomW wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:47 pm
Macster,

How's the bar feel, depower throw, depower feeling compared to your Hyperlink?
Hi Tom - I have the 9m Hyperlink and this was a 12m Soul so probably not the best comparison. Bar pressure was stronger on the Soul but not excessive like an old school cabrinha switchblade or ozone c4.

The Hyperlink is more susceptible to the canaopy bending if you sheet out too quickly whereas the Soul kept its rigidity better and behaved a bit more like an inflatable kite.

It semed like the Hyperlink depowers more when fully extending the bar but again hard to tell when comparing a 9m to 12m.

Hyperlink sits a little deeper in the wind window and you never feel like its going to over fly when at 12pm whereas the Soul sat slightly further forward and I had to put a bit of depower on when standing on the beach.

I didnt need to use the trim strap much once underway so I cant comment too much yet on it's depower ability other than that the bar throw offered ample control in 10-18 knots.

Will be kiting solid over the next 3 days so I'll write more soon. I also bought a 8m soul which will offer a better comparison to my 9m hyperlink. Cheers

Return to “Foil Kites”