Psycho2 convert to FLS

For all foil kite riders
kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Psycho2 convert to FLS

Postby kitexpert » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:23 pm

I did many years ago rebridling and conversion to 4 line in one of these kites. Turning became better and bridle drag perhaps was cut 50%, I don't remember exactly. Those days FS used ridiculously long bridle lines... I used to call it Psycho2.5. I also designed it a bit different canopy curve, more like it is nowadays in foil kites. That horrible long shrinking 1:2 wingtip line through the ring was of course ditched too.

After conversion I had excess bridle line for a small kite :)

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:52 am

FLS not possible on a 3-liner, but the FDS works fine. I made/used one on my old 3-line FS Titan 15.5, and several other kites since.

Reposting viewtopic.php?p=1004813#p1004813
...added a 5th line safety because I was not sure how it would behave/pull if the wind picked up. Yes it is an extra line and extra tangles for setup, but it's less tangles when you use the 5th line because the kite does not spin like when using a single front line. I used six 200# spectra lines from the Center-Left A,B,C and Center-Right A,B,C attachments to a single point connection. I calculated each line length as right triangles to the single point about 1 meter away from the kite. Testing I confirmed using the 6-Point bridle attachment to a 5th line, the kite does not spin when flagged, the two sides fold back, and the kite is safe/stable/stays down if it falls leading edge up directly downwind. This made recovery easy walking the 5th line. In very light wind it made downwind re-launch easy, just be prepared because the kite is inflated, and it will pull hard if launched directly downwind. Using 6 attachments also distributes the load over twice the connections as the FS 3 FDS Lines...

coffeeking
Medium Poster
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby coffeeking » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:22 pm

PugetSoundKiter wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:52 am
FLS not possible on a 3-liner, but the FDS works fine. I made/used one on my old 3-line FS Titan 15.5, and several other kites since.

Reposting viewtopic.php?p=1004813#p1004813
...added a 5th line safety because I was not sure how it would behave/pull if the wind picked up. Yes it is an extra line and extra tangles for setup, but it's less tangles when you use the 5th line because the kite does not spin like when using a single front line. I used six 200# spectra lines from the Center-Left A,B,C and Center-Right A,B,C attachments to a single point connection. I calculated each line length as right triangles to the single point about 1 meter away from the kite. Testing I confirmed using the 6-Point bridle attachment to a 5th line, the kite does not spin when flagged, the two sides fold back, and the kite is safe/stable/stays down if it falls leading edge up directly downwind. This made recovery easy walking the 5th line. In very light wind it made downwind re-launch easy, just be prepared because the kite is inflated, and it will pull hard if launched directly downwind. Using 6 attachments also distributes the load over twice the connections as the FS 3 FDS Lines...
Thanks, this is precisely the plan just now. 200lb lines on the 6 centre points, then a single 600lb line down to the leash. That should cover all major release loads and still be a breakable link in the event of something too nuts happening. Thanks for sharing your method!

Return to “Foil Kites”