For all foil kite riders

nothing2seehere
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Kitesurfing and windsurfing
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Peter Lynn Charger 3

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:20 am

I don't fly arc kites but I imagine the problem you would encounter would be the shift in flying skills to constantly steer the kite back towards the water. I know I find it annoying flying kites that constantly seek the water as you need to keep moving them back up again.

geokite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Blade, Firewire, SS, Lift, Peter Lynn, Kitech

Postby geokite » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:52 pm

SimonP wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:00 am
I just saw one for sale second hand: https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/kites- ... 91debc9b94
I used to fly an Arc back in about 2002. A kite with auto-zenith could be awesome for hydrofoiling in light winds when others are struggling to keep their kites in the air.
Does anyone hydrofoil with a kite like this?
I've been out, learning, on my HF with a twinskin three times now. First two times, the autozenith was not a problem, as I was riding healside and could comfortably keep both hands on the bar.

But yikes, now I'm riding toeside. Autozenith stinks when riding toeside, as the natural position of your hand does not counter-act the autozenith. Very hard on the wrist and shoulder to steer the kite down all the time.

Bridled foils rule in light wind. Twinskins might stay in the air, but they are still more likely to fall out than a bridled foil in the lulls.

zerogee_ca
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby zerogee_ca » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:32 am

geokite wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:52 pm
SimonP wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:00 am
I just saw one for sale second hand: https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/kites- ... 91debc9b94
I used to fly an Arc back in about 2002. A kite with auto-zenith could be awesome for hydrofoiling in light winds when others are struggling to keep their kites in the air.
Does anyone hydrofoil with a kite like this?
I've been out, learning, on my HF with a twinskin three times now. First two times, the autozenith was not a problem, as I was riding healside and could comfortably keep both hands on the bar.

But yikes, now I'm riding toeside. Autozenith stinks when riding toeside, as the natural position of your hand does not counter-act the autozenith. Very hard on the wrist and shoulder to steer the kite down all the time.

Bridled foils rule in light wind. Twinskins might stay in the air, but they are still more likely to fall out than a bridled foil in the lulls.
Do you ride with a rope harness? Makes riding toeside more fluid and natural.

nothing2seehere
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Kitesurfing and windsurfing

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:50 am

Don't think a rope harness is going to make any difference. The kite still wants to fly high - and you would normally use your bottom hand to counteract this. This is also the hand you would naturally want to remove from the bar - hence, its not ideal

For interest - I gather B&M stopped doing the rope slider in their ION range and went for a steel slider because the feed back from the foilers was that the rope allowed the angle of pull to change which threw them off balance. The steel slider keeps the pull more in line with the centre of the harness but still slides from side to side.

Return to “Foil Kites”