For all foil kite riders
Kykeon
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: .
Brand Affiliation: $iemens

Re: Learning the bridle on my first foil kite

Postby Kykeon » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:20 pm

I agree that measuring everything is too much effort and little value.
But putting 8 small marks* in your bridle so that you can do a long mixer test when needed is something that will pay dividends.

*Either with a marker or by adding a small thread.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:54 pm

The number one thing to learn with the bridle on a foil for people new to them is bridle management to avoid tangles and get out of them. Never pull hard on things to form knots, never(generally) disconnect the lines especially in a tangle, wrap much of the bridles onto the bar, gently shake bridles to untangle when setting up, downwind launch :-) (downwind is easiest to avoid problems with bridles or kite, I just about always do it), learn to pull the kite through the bridles for bridle wraps, running your hand along the LE to check for bridle wraps, there is lots of techniques to untangle a kite on the water too like landing it opposite side up or pulling on a line from the good side to flatten it, swimming to it and sorting it out :-) Shaking it in the air to unwrap tip/s.

Mossy 757 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:09 pm
"I just bought a new car and I want to measure the torque on every bolt in case I need to make repairs later"

:lol: I can laugh because I had the same thought once. When you measure every line in your bridle, you end up with the same result as if you made a belt out of watches; a waist of time.

Like everyone has said, step 1: tune control bar and make sure lines are equal length. Step 2: fly it, figure out what you like and don't like. Step 3: come on the forums and read up about whether there's a fix for the quirks you don't like. Regis made a thread recently about mixer tuning that more or less covers all of the simple ways to adjust performance of a 4 row bridled foil.
:thumb:
revhed wrote: As I am considering exactly same kite but in light fabric I found this.
PANSH aurora 2 15m2 bridle.jpg
PANSHBRIDLE.jpg
Please let us know if these are even close?
How does yours fly?
From the color you have regular fabric.
Read, learn and understand that in the end the long mixer test will be valuable in tuning.
R H
One nice thing about Pansh is the larks head at kite attachments can make length adjustments easy!
Where did you find those line lengths?

One big negative to larks head at the kite is they get stuck in the kite bridles, which ELCs (those metal things) do much less and loop to loop never. It's not something most would notice but when you start pushing the limits with the kites, like slack line drifting or tricks which can drop the kite especially in waves these little things matter.
Kykeon wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:20 pm
But putting 8 small marks* in your bridle so that you can do a long mixer test when needed is something that will pay dividends.

How far up do you put them? Good idea which I have thought about a few times but never do.

Kykeon
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: .
Brand Affiliation: $iemens

Postby Kykeon » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:47 am

foilholio wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:54 pm

Kykeon wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:20 pm

How far up do you put them? Good idea which I have thought about a few times but never do.
As high as possible.
Preferably @ a1, b1, c1, z1

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:51 pm

UHMPE shrinks like crazy, even between when the kite is built and first flown, so don't freak out if your manufacturer line plan looks nothing like your real-world bridle. I tried to compare one of my Flysurfer's to the manufacturer's line plan and it was really frustrating.

Return to “Foil Kites”