Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Learning the bridle on my first foil kite

For all foil kite riders
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Learning the bridle on my first foil kite

Postby lovethepirk » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:29 am

So I'm completely clueless and feel like a beginner in some respects again here, so play dumb with me please haha :lol:

I got this new 15m Pansh Aurora 2. I am aware it could fly incorrectly or could eventually do so. I'd like to measure the line lengths and learn this beast inside and out. Here are my questions:

1) A is the leading edge, B is next, then C, then Z at the trailing edge right?
2) The picture below shows the leading edge lines in my left hand. I know any line could shrink or lengthen, BUT if for some reason I need to change the leading edge lines, do I start with modifying the line closest to my left hand which is the Orange Line #1?
3) As a foil kite owner do you ever have to move your way into any of the other lines I singled out in the photo to change the length?
4) Is there any benefit to myself or anyone else if I spend a couple hours measuring every single line exactly?
5) The lines look like q powerline or something I'm not familiar with...how the hell do you change the length? I'm used to splicing dyneema, this stuff is sleeved.

Thanks for the help.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Learning the bridle on my first foil kite

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:52 am

Jesus nobody needs to measure their lines unless there's something apocalyptically wrong. You can stretch them if needs be, but even if you measure them right and replace them with a correct length, odds are good that it won't help -- you need to think more holistic. What you'll find is the canopy will stretch and the lines will shrink and it'll drive you crazy if you don't just fly the kite and enjoy it, then perform minimal maintenance at the end of the season...

1. Yes.
2. No, you should start by stretching the bridle lines.
3. I've had to replace broken bridle lines in the middle, which involves partial disassembly of that part of the bridle.
4. None whatsoever IMO.
5. Assuming that it's like all other foil kites, those ones bearing the most load will be sheathed dyneema. Those nearer the kite regular "amsteel".

Does that thing have a mixer/speed system?

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:06 am

Kam,

I don't even know what a mixer/speed system is. People are talking about how the Pansh kites could need line shortening/lengthening so I was inquiring about where I would do that. Would that occur near my hand or closer to the kite?

kostantin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sahlenburg
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc
Gear: Switch, PANSH, Fisch Kiteboards

Postby kostantin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:38 am

The 15 flies out of the bag.

If you have no experience with foil kites it might make sense to find someone on the beach that shows you all the tricks.

tks

Kosta

Kykeon
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: .
Brand Affiliation: $iemens

Postby Kykeon » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:18 am

Pansh has a fantastic price but misses some details.
Most probably it flies OK out of the bag.

I recommend that you make some markings now so that you can do a mixer test (or even better a long mixer test) when it gets out of tune (like every kite)

This will be needed after many hours of flying. Then you will also face the problem that the mixer is not made to be adjustable and you will have to diy.
But for the time being, mark the points and they will pay dividents

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:04 am

I'd like to measure the line lengths and learn this beast inside and out
If you really want to measure line length for future reference - you should be doing it under tension. Flysurfer recommends 5kg weight for that. Pansh - do the same.

Download line plan if available from Pansh. Then you know the naming of bridle and factory lenghts which you can check your own measurements. Naming: Flysurfer uses A as first row from leading edge. Then from middle to out is numbering, like A1 = front center bridle. Left and right sides are equal so indexing/numbering does not count them. Pansh probably the same.

Mixer is where you have the pulleys where main line and steering line is mixed for airfoil "command". Dyneema running through pulleys is the wear part. Flysurfer calls them spare part lines. Shrinkage of spare part lines causes airfoil shape to change over time. So mixer test&adjust recovers airfoil shape close to original. Flysurfer has easy to adjust knots for adjusting mixer. I read above that Pansh does not have easy-adjust-mixer, but maybe figure 8 knots or something could be used to adjust.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:21 pm

lovethepirk wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:06 am
Kam,

I don't even know what a mixer/speed system is. People are talking about how the Pansh kites could need line shortening/lengthening so I was inquiring about where I would do that. Would that occur near my hand or closer to the kite?
Is there a system of pulleys between the front and rear lines, between the lines and the bridles?

Tune your bar as usual. Then fly it. Stop over-thinking it :lol:

You'll probably find it'll be a little different to tube kites :D go easy with the bar, don't choke the kite -- you get power by letting the kite fly.

Now you can figure out if you have issues...

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:00 pm

Hey, lovethepirk. I agree with Kamikuza. Just fly the kite and base your next steps on a few solid sessions with the kite on the water. You may be pleasantly surprised with Pansh. My Aurora II flew just fine out of the bag and I haven't made any adjustments at all. Like you, I'm still a foil kite novice, but I'm happy with my Pansh so far.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:09 pm

"I just bought a new car and I want to measure the torque on every bolt in case I need to make repairs later"

:lol: I can laugh because I had the same thought once. When you measure every line in your bridle, you end up with the same result as if you made a belt out of watches; a waist of time.

Like everyone has said, step 1: tune control bar and make sure lines are equal length. Step 2: fly it, figure out what you like and don't like. Step 3: come on the forums and read up about whether there's a fix for the quirks you don't like. Regis made a thread recently about mixer tuning that more or less covers all of the simple ways to adjust performance of a 4 row bridled foil.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:31 pm

As I am considering exactly same kite but in light fabric I found this.
PANSH aurora 2 15m2 bridle.jpg
PANSHBRIDLE.jpg
PANSHBRIDLE.jpg (44.87 KiB) Viewed 2055 times
Please let us know if these are even close?
How does yours fly?
From the color you have regular fabric.
Read, learn and understand that in the end the long mixer test will be valuable in tuning.
R H
One nice thing about Pansh is the larks head at kite attachments can make length adjustments easy!

Return to “Foil Kites”