Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Sonic 2 factory mixer settings?

Postby foilholio » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:15 am

You don't need to replace pulley lines to correct for depower loss. Lengthening Zmain combined with a mixer test will do that ( I wrote a thread how to do it viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2392205 ). Loss of power = loss of camber, shorten Z or you can lengthen B and C, lengthening C while keeping B the same can increase power while not affecting stability as much.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:16 pm

foilholio wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:15 am
You don't need to replace pulley lines to correct for depower loss. Lengthening Zmain combined with a mixer test will do that
You're not wrong about Z, but let's be honest, if someone's kite has as much use as OP's they could probably stand to replace the sheathed lines that run through pulleys covered in sand/salt/etc. Not only is it a good preventative maintenance practice, but it'll let you just reset your mixer to mostly even instead of having to undo the Z bridle and make extensions that are (hopefully) equal enough in length to prevent uneven handling.

One path you use all manufacturer provided parts, the other requires a degree of difficulty in terms of your rigging ability. So again, on my own personal race kite I agree, but as a recommendation for someone who seems to be using it as a workhorse freeride kite, replacing the SPL's seems appropriate once the mixer no longer solves the problem.

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Postby Nem0 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:26 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:19 am
Been a long time since the kite came out of the box. I know how to tune the bar but I don’t remember what the mixer setting is suppose to be. I know one level was like 1cm shorter(or longer, can’t remember).
Checked the mixer of my 5 hours used Sonic2 11m.
A+Z are on the same Level.
B is 1,5cm deeper than A.
C is half way between A+B.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:28 am

Nem0 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:26 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:19 am
Been a long time since the kite came out of the box. I know how to tune the bar but I don’t remember what the mixer setting is suppose to be. I know one level was like 1cm shorter(or longer, can’t remember).
Checked the mixer of my 5 hours used Sonic2 11m.
A+Z are on the same Level.
B is 1,5cm deeper than A.
C is half way between A+B.
Thanks for checking, that seems to be what everyone is saying they are getting from factory. I took my 11 out yesterday is less than 10kts wind, backstall is basically gone (yay!) and maybe slightly loss in instability. My launch site is very difficult due to wind shadows so ended up swimming back in(first time at the spot). I might bring C back a little but honestly I'm good with the way it is now.

=ason-

Return to “Foil Kites”