Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Sonic 2 factory mixer settings?

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:16 pm

My Sonic2 11m is badly out of tune with lots of backstalling and loss of power. This week I’m finally going to have some time to sort it out but I remember that the mixer ABCZ aren’t even on the sonic2’s from factory. Anyone know exactly what it’s suppose to be? I’ll start first with the bar and lines and work my way to the kite. Thanks.

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sonic 2 factory mixer settings?

Postby Nem0 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:56 pm

This is the normal setup out of the box!
Below the floaters you can length the backlines one knot!
But if you do some powerful loops, your backlines should be streched in the right length, so the setup out of the box should fits best!

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:19 am

Been a long time since the kite came out of the box. I know how to tune the bar but I don’t remember what the mixer setting is suppose to be. I know one level was like 1cm shorter(or longer, can’t remember).

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Skywalker7 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:53 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:19 am
Been a long time since the kite came out of the box. I know how to tune the bar but I don’t remember what the mixer setting is suppose to be. I know one level was like 1cm shorter(or longer, can’t remember).
My Sonic 2 13M L.E. came some -1cm on the B lines, but it might be different on the on the Sonic 2 11m. My friend used to change the mixers left right and center but he says that the zero setting (all levels are even) the best on his Sonic 2 11m.
However the best solution would be to measure line shrinkages and correct this with the mixers. Without measuring you can just set the mixers for feel. My bet would be to add 1 cm extra for the C's on the mixer and that might help to correct the possible line shrinkage on the C lines. (In paragliding generaly the C's used to shorten as they get relatively less weight compared to the A and B levels.) The first foil kite is the Soul where the designers worked out a simple way how you can easily correct any line shrinkage. The tech video on the Soul explains this.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:19 am

Replace your pulley lines if you can't tune the kite with the mixer. They shrink a lot and deform the kite, if you replace them you usually get back a little depower throw and reduce the backstalling. First test is to level the mixer, fly it, then shorten C 1cm see how it flies, etc. C shortens B, so making small tweaks to C first is a good starting point

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Appreciate the help guys, going to tackle it in the next couple days and hopefully I'll get it sorted out.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Ok, ran through everything and took about 30 minutes in total. On the bar the back lines were about 3 inches shorter with one being slightly longer most likely due to safety pulls in higher winds. Corrected that by shortening the front lines(rears were already on longest knots).

On the mixer, C was about 1.5 inches shorter with B being about half that. The wing has been super stable so I just brought C back even with A/Z and left B where it was which ended up being a little more than 1 CM shorter. Did a quick test flight(wind was too light to take it out on the water) and backstall is basically now gone and no noticeable stability issues. I'll put about 5 hours on the wing and see how it goes and maybe tinker with B then.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:16 pm
Ok, ran through everything and took about 30 minutes in total. On the bar the back lines were about 3 inches shorter with one being slightly longer most likely due to safety pulls in higher winds. Corrected that by shortening the front lines(rears were already on longest knots).

On the mixer, C was about 1.5 inches shorter with B being about half that. The wing has been super stable so I just brought C back even with A/Z and left B where it was which ended up being a little more than 1 CM shorter. Did a quick test flight(wind was too light to take it out on the water) and backstall is basically now gone and no noticeable stability issues. I'll put about 5 hours on the wing and see how it goes and maybe tinker with B then.
Glad that fixed it! Letting out C is usually the ticket for a kite that's aging; the caveat there is that since Flysurfer doesn't have a way to lengthen Z built into the mixer, you may eventually need to add a pigtail of sorts to let her out to prevent any wackiness at full power down the road since relaxing C relaxes B as well and without a commensurate change to Z you'll end up a little strapped there, especially since those lines all shrink more than the front rows of the bridle that carry more load.

Definitely measure your pulley lines, aka "Spare Part Lines" because based on what you said you're dealing with and what seems to have worked, I'd highly suspect those are shorter than stock. You might get another 1 or 2 "C relaxations" out of your mixer before those need to be replaced, which is pretty straightforward.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:36 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:36 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Glad that fixed it! Letting out C is usually the ticket for a kite that's aging; the caveat there is that since Flysurfer doesn't have a way to lengthen Z built into the mixer, you may eventually need to add a pigtail of sorts to let her out to prevent any wackiness at full power down the road since relaxing C relaxes B as well and without a commensurate change to Z you'll end up a little strapped there, especially since those lines all shrink more than the front rows of the bridle that carry more load.

Definitely measure your pulley lines, aka "Spare Part Lines" because based on what you said you're dealing with and what seems to have worked, I'd highly suspect those are shorter than stock. You might get another 1 or 2 "C relaxations" out of your mixer before those need to be replaced, which is pretty straightforward.
What kind of wackiness would I be expecting to see? I'll try to measure Z next time I'm out but yea there's not much left on the C to play with. I have been extremely rough on this foil this last year. Spent most of the year strapped on the back of my motorcycle for over 10000 miles and about 25 countries. Lots of putting away wet and sandy and the such so I'm pretty happy that I havn't really had any problems until lately. I hope I can take it out tomorrow and see how she flies. I'm in Northern Africa for work for the next three months and the wind is mostly going to be only strong enough for foiling, so I really wanted to get it back in shape for that.

=Jason-

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:02 pm

With Z too tight you can end up with weird front stalls and stuff because it'll be pulling too much camber on the trailing edge of the wing. I'm not an expert, other than with my Sonic1 I basically ran out of adjustability and had to replace my spare parts lines...I never got to the "lengthen Z" part because I sold the kite and replaced it with a Sonic2 which I've never flown because of a back injury I'm just navigating out from.

This video is worth a watch for tuning FS kites...and ultimately I don't claim to be an expert, but the way they've set up their speed systems is pretty intuitive once you mess with it a bunch. Right around 2:15 he starts talking about adjusting B and C relative to AZ.

https://vimeo.com/9488886

Return to “Foil Kites”