For all foil kite riders
PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: Pulsion 18m

Postby PullStrings » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:10 pm

:coolshades:
Last edited by PullStrings on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:21 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:13 pm
Regis-de-giens wrote: So IMO marginal wind flight ability allows you to either reduce your swimming risk
I don't know, or is the opposite true :lol: If wind is very low there is a risk it will go near zero and it is game over no matter what kind of kite it is. Of course it has some interest to push the limits, but it is not for great majority of kiters, including hydrofoilers.

Personally I just don't want to push the envelope too much (if I do I prefer to do it on the snow/ice, then I can go to 4-6kn depending wind and surface quality, but it is quite lame). I just had decent foil day with a LEI, no white water or other kiters. No difficulties to keep kite in the air, I guess it was about 8-9kn. If it is lower than that there is something else to do.
Well, sometimes you say you do not seek marignal winds, but sometimes you give advices to even improve low end of the bests light foil kites ... you need to choose my dear ! :wink: Personally on this topic I focuss on comment linked to your second option :cheers:

So the answer is definitelly YES : because swimming risk is linked to the following ratio : [your wind objective] vs [lowest wind flight of your kite]. If you maintain your ride objectives ( say 8 knots with your LEI), then your LEI will offer you only 1-2 knot margin vs light foilkite = 4-5 knots margin before dropping the kite in water (or on snow which is also very uncomfortable in mountains). Figures are not contractual and just for illustration purpose.

So ... you WILL reduce the swimming risk with a kite flying in less wind :thumb: . Now of course if you decide to also decrease your low end (which I love to , and I feel not alone ...), you may get down back to your initial risk, but you will ride more often which is my first priority for a light wind kite when I arrive on the spot (and the same for my family when we agreed on a slot :claps: ) .
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:21 pm

foolholio wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:37 am
try 10000+ and you can start to lecture me on what can and cant be done with a foil kite.
Did i hit a nerve ?
Let's calculate
10000+ divided by 2 hour session each time
That's 5000 sessions divided by 250 times a year = so riding 5 times a week year round
That's 20 years non-stop = so you started to ride ram airs on the water date :07/09/1998
Is that correct ?

Last edited by PullStrings on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2

Postby Carlos_C » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:36 pm

I once kited in conditions where teh wind went from about 7-9 knts to 0. Was on a speed 3 19 I think.......kite would drop on its's TE - sit there for 5 mins - the wind would pick up - I'd yank teh centre line - relaunch and away I'd go. I'd ride for a couple of minutes - and wind would drop. The kite happily relaunced as soon as wind picked up.

But if you want to talk about kites not wanting to relaunch I have a set of 7 and 9 5 line Fuels - that whilst nice riding kites are the worst for relaunch - and never take them in waves...a swim guaranteed every time if you ditch kite.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:22 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:21 pm

Well, sometimes you say you do not seek marignal winds, but sometimes you give advices to ev.en improve low end of the bests light foil kites ... you need to choose my dear ! :wink:

I've done lot of marginal winds (very probably more than I should have), but I don't want to take any more unnecessary risks and get into difficult situations. And why shouldn't I give advice to improve kite designs, if I see how it could be done? Of course I'm not against to improve low end and some other qualities as well - even though improvements are not very significant. For sure Pulsion is already a very good low wind kite.
Regis-de-giens wrote:
So the answer is definitelly YES : because swimming risk is linked to the following ratio : [your wind objective] vs [lowest wind flight of your kite]. If you maintain your ride objectives ( say 8 knots with your LEI), then your LEI will offer you only 1-2 knot margin vs light foilkite = 4-5 knots margin before dropping the kite in water (or on snow which is also very uncomfortable in mountains). Figures are not contractual and just for illustration purpose.
But it is seen personal wind objective will be lower if kite allows it. I trust much more 9kn wind than 6kn wind and I greatly prefer a self rescue with a LEI in 7kn than with a foil kite in 4kn. Today I helped a friend of mine with Speed21, his kite bowtied and didn't recover. It took hundreds of liters of water inside and pulling it to the shore and draining it was quite a work, there was a risk to tear it too. It wasn't only because of low wind, but still a good reminder what kind of mess a foil kite can become. Finally wind got too low and many LEI's dropped, but not mine because I kept looping it until I was out of water.
Regis-de-giens wrote:
you may get down back to your initial risk, but you will ride more often [/b]which is my first priority for a light wind kite when I arrive on the spot (and the same for my family when we agreed on a slot :claps: ) .
Yes, you can ride more by taking more risks.
PullStrings wrote::coolshades:
It really seems like this 10000 hour veteran lives in different reality than we 1000 hour newbies. Just drift it to the water in no wind, pull a line, untangle it, wait and go :D

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:39 am

kitexpert wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:22 am
PullStrings wrote::coolshades:
It really seems like this 10000 hour veteran lives in different reality than we 1000 hour newbies. Just drift it to the water in no wind, pull a line, untangle it, wait and go :D
:lol: Well said about hoolio !
Last edited by PullStrings on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:17 am

kitexpert wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:22 am
But it is seen personal wind objective will be lower if kite allows it. I trust much more 9kn wind than 6kn wind and I greatly prefer a self rescue with a LEI in 7kn than with a foil kite in 4kn.
That is true but you never choose the wind speed. Hence the real question is : When kitexpert arrives on a spot with 9 knots average with punctual lulls that seem 7-8 but may go further down . Very common . which kite reduces your chance to swimm or relax you more to go riding ? LEI vs Pulsion ? Pulsion ... and the best it hangs in the sky, the more tricks you can attempt even in light, while you will remain very prudent with a LEI to go back with a dry LEI.
My convinced opinion at least ...

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:19 am

Pullstrings you seem to be having a bit of a melt down there? Did I hit a nerve? :lol:

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:51 pm

foilholio wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:37 am
1000hours well that is foil beginner still, try 10000+ and you can start to lecture me on what can and cant be done with a foil kite.
:lol: Ok, I was wrong.

When I put holio on my ignore list last days, I first thought that it is maybe just a virtual bot spaming insulting and sometimes just sensless comments to fulfill what goal ever.

But as now it also starts to write some funny comments, as this one above, it comes into my mind:

It must be "funnybot" himself, that's why it can be sometimes funny and sometimes violating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzjsSrAQTNA

Living2Kite
Medium Poster
Gear: Hq, Slingshot, Ozone, Peter Lynn.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Living2Kite » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:33 pm

Foilholio,

please be careful, don't give out any personal information. I have reason to believe you are being targeted by a German sex mob on this site.

-Officer Corvette of the Not So Innocent Images Hoarding Project.

Return to “Foil Kites”