Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Soul vs. Ozone Hyperlink for LW foilboard riding

For all foil kite riders
jash999
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Flysurfer Soul vs. Ozone Hyperlink for LW foilboard riding

Postby jash999 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:14 am

Does anyone have experience /can compare the two kites for foilboarding (in LW 7 knots- ish specially)?

I am currently using Chrono2 in 15 and 11, but after a few swims when the wind has died unexpectedly I am wondering about a kite with easier relaunch ( one staying inflated longer than Chrono2 in the water ) or easier packing down in water in worst case (enough time to pack down before all the air has gone out).

Any thoughts on which kite?

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul vs. Ozone Hyperlink for LW foilboard riding

Postby Nem0 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:24 am

Have a look at 4:25 in this video...
https://youtu.be/JWLTVxiPVGE
The air stayes very long insinde!

If you need 15m there just the Soul is available!

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Sun May 06, 2018 5:42 pm

jash999 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:14 am
Does anyone have experience /can compare the two kites for foilboarding (in LW 7 knots- ish specially)?

I am currently using Chrono2 in 15 and 11, but after a few swims when the wind has died unexpectedly I am wondering about a kite with easier relaunch ( one staying inflated longer than Chrono2 in the water ) or easier packing down in water in worst case (enough time to pack down before all the air has gone out).

Any thoughts on which kite?
Both are VERY good. But the soul generates more power and relaunch us much better

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:06 pm

can't comment on the Fs,

at my spot only hyperlinks... the ultralight 12 allows foiling with 5-6 knots for experienced riders. 5 is really the lower limit...

The regular hyperlink does not fly that well in extreme low winds.

nayy

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:05 pm

Both are good kites if comparing HL ultralight vs Soul. I own regular HL and would have bought Soul if it was available sooner. In larger sizes Soul would be my preference today

Heimo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wallersee Austria
Favorite Beaches: Wallersee Austria, Gargani Italy-Vieste, Podersdorf Austria
Style: freeriding, foilboard-beginner
Gear: Gear? Board: Anton Lotus + Magma Foilboard, Kites: 3 flysurfer Speeds 12-21
Been thanked: 0

Postby Heimo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:11 pm

Here some impressions about a very lowend session with many wind-holes - just them, to show the real behave of the HL12:

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kubkV7AhlWw[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/kubkV7AhlWw

This is not about foiling but more about wind-lulls and HL..

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:45 pm

Man you are struggling with that thing. First 1 min you had an easy LE up relaunch, the easiest relaunch you can get and it was ,well, ruined :-). One hand on front lines to give depower pressure to open and fly kite. Other on bar or rear leader of side to open and fly first. Keep that side that wants to fly on or near the water till the other side is ready. Back stall on the bar makes it so easy. Whats with all the tugging? I like the backloop great for water starting. Brakestrap hinders your relaunch skills. I think maybe you do have backstall on the bar, or maybe it's really light in lulls or something. Your bar throw may be a little short, could pull some depower maybe. Yep lulls, I survived to 6mins and spent.

Heimo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wallersee Austria
Favorite Beaches: Wallersee Austria, Gargani Italy-Vieste, Podersdorf Austria
Style: freeriding, foilboard-beginner
Gear: Gear? Board: Anton Lotus + Magma Foilboard, Kites: 3 flysurfer Speeds 12-21
Been thanked: 0

Postby Heimo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:36 pm

First minute - the easy starting failed, because the backlines were catchd by my cam on the helment and i was too slow to untangle it... Thanks for the inputs, ill try..

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:57 am

I saw no lines tangled on you at the very start. The kite is jumping uncontrollably off the water because you are tugging on the front lines uncontrollably. You just needed to carefully apply pressure to them by pulling them in. The more you pull them in the more the kite will fly. If it is lifting off too early let them back out more or control that side (or both) with the bar or a leader.

There can be a time to tug when you are in a hurry and there is water in the kite. Otherwise just try being smooth and careful. Learn to control the kite downwind. Maybe do some practice just flying the kite downwind of you. Flying upside down, sideways, heli loops would be good too. You could do it in lightwind on land.

No brake strap and some thicker rear leaders would help as well. You can see in the vid how the brake strap really interferes with kite control. You can't pull much on one side of the kite without it also starting to pull the other. That is going to limit and make lots of things much harder.

Now I watch a bit past 6mins. Try always forward sine the kite rather than looping. You will build momentum better like that in light wind. You loose momentum with the loop going back. Loops work going straight downwind (no forward) and for waterstarting(no momentum). You can sine the kite almost vertical up and down. Just keep it moving forward with you not back.

Also sheet out a bit on the upstroke and in on the down stroke. You never want to stall the kite while building momentum. Keep it flying fast with the most pull.

LONG
Rare Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER

Postby LONG » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:52 am

When trying to relaunch the kite remember to control the bar.
In the clip i see the bar is inverted: red side on your right hand, so when the kite was ready to restart and taking off ,it pivoted around the tip and fell down again. No matter if your line are crossing, check the right side of the bar always on the right.

Return to “Foil Kites”