Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone and Flysurfer fanboys, tell me why...

For all foil kite riders
andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone and Flysurfer fanboys, tell me why...

Postby andylc » Thu May 17, 2018 3:54 pm

All I know is that when I bought the Soul I asked for an Ozone bar due to my dislike of the Flysurfer one. Steph Bridge who I bought the kite from said 'the boys' have some awesome demo bars that they are using at the moment (Ollie, Guy and can't remember the other stupidly talented sons name) but there isn't a production date planned yet. Haven't seen one.

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Thu May 17, 2018 4:07 pm

The Sonic FR 18m was my favorite kite, until I got a Peter Lynn Aero 20m ultralight. That kite stays in the air in no wind and has insane power and speed. Looking forward to the Aero v2 21m ultralight. I haven't flown any flysurfers newer than the FR or speed5 but the Aero v1 was better in every category other than inflation time compared to my flysurfers, the new v2 aero they added more inflation vents so I imagine that issue is fixed. The only ozone kites I've seen in person are the LEIs and beginner foils and any race kite will run circles around those.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu May 17, 2018 5:34 pm

kitejumping wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:07 pm
The Sonic FR 18m was my favorite kite, until I got a Peter Lynn Aero 20m ultralight. That kite stays in the air in no wind and has insane power and speed. Looking forward to the Aero v2 21m ultralight. I haven't flown any flysurfers newer than the FR or speed5 but the Aero v1 was better in every category other than inflation time compared to my flysurfers, the new v2 aero they added more inflation vents so I imagine that issue is fixed. The only ozone kites I've seen in person are the LEIs and beginner foils and any race kite will run circles around those.
Yea the Sonic FR 18 is a pretty heavy pig. I thought about getting the Sonic2 since it’s a hell of a lot lighter but I really like the FR so really havnt has the need. It’s amazing how easily that kite untangled itself and was fast enough to loop. Gotta love that 2nd lift in a jump.

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Postby Nem0 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:50 pm

kitejumping wrote:
2 weeks ago we had a 17m Aero. At the beginning it was realy good. The lightest barforces I've ever had.

BUT...after a short rain it was not able to fly anymore! A kite which is not allowed to get wet is not good for kitesurfing!?!

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Thu May 17, 2018 9:24 pm

Nem0 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:50 pm
kitejumping wrote:
2 weeks ago we had a 17m Aero. At the beginning it was realy good. The lightest barforces I've ever had.

BUT...after a short rain it was not able to fly anymore! A kite which is not allowed to get wet is not good for kitesurfing!?!
Not able to fly in what way? I've only had to relaunch mine once in water and it did it super easy, but I had it in the air about 5 seconds after it touched the water. Most of my riding is on snow so never fully tested its water relaunch abilities.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri May 18, 2018 2:15 am

^
Yeah, well there you go...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri May 18, 2018 4:22 am

downunder wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:46 pm
Yes, there is. But there is a price of 450 Euros even for the v3.

I like the FS bar, but only when I removed all bits and pieces I didn't like. But, I'm picky. Armin replied, like, it takes time. I haven't got the time.

Also, on the LEI front, I've compared Edge v7 and Boost2 - exactly the same shape in cm. Exactly. The only difference are struts position, and small details. But, my Boost1 LE exploded near the strut. And, not only one v1, as reported.

D.
What bits and pieces? Can't understand these people swapping the bar for an Ozone bar of all things -- that'd be like replacing your leather steering wheel with a broken shovel handle.

And let me guess -- when you informed Flysurfer of your kite failure, they insisted there was nothing wrong with the gear, then they blamed you for following their instructions and over-inflating the kite, then posted photos that misrepresented the damage, staked you onto Facebook and challenged you to call them and discuss it "if you're man enough" then tell everyone on the forums you're a raving psycho for doing so, then finally fulfilling the warranty when consumer law is brought into it?

No?

But hey, they win races so they must be the best :lol:

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri May 18, 2018 4:32 am

^
No.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Fri May 18, 2018 5:30 am

This is a silly thread.

Who cares what kite company is winning races? I could care less. Kite racing, yes it is tough, but it is like watching paint dry from a spectators perspective.

You could try to list objective standards until the cows come home, but both companies have their strengths and weaknesses.

Personally, I like FS better, but I would never bother to get into an argument with an Ozone fan, I would just let them take a spin on my FS Soul and let them decide. Plus, Ted Bautista is awesome as the FS North America Distributor.

The only thing that would make this conversation complete is for PMU to tell both sides that Ram air kites are crashing in 2018 followed by his copy and paste. :rollgrin:

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Postby Nem0 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:35 am

kitejumping wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:24 pm
Nem0 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:50 pm
kitejumping wrote:

Not able to fly in what way? I've only had to relaunch mine once in water and it did it super easy, but I had it in the air about 5 seconds after it touched the water. Most of my riding is on snow so never fully tested its water relaunch abilities.
First of all: it was the normal version not ultralight.
It just get wet from a little rain and after that the ears collapsed and didn't stay outside anymore.
After a lunchbreak and second rain it was not able to launch it again!
The other kites 21/18m Soul, 18m DiabloV1 had no problem with that!

Return to “Foil Kites”