Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone and Flysurfer fanboys, tell me why...

For all foil kite riders
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Ozone and Flysurfer fanboys, tell me why...

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed May 16, 2018 10:33 am

So I figured I would start the ultimate showdown thread to determine who is the better foil manufacture, Flysurfer or Ozone. A couple beers with no wind here here might have influenced this but here goes.

I would call myself a Flysurfer fanboy. Mostly because I have had better than fantastic service from my USA rep (thanks Ted) who has always taken care of me to the point of replacing damaged kites and boards free of charge. There's that fantastic no questions asked warranty (as long as it's not purposely done of course) on all their kites expect the Sonic (which by the way, some shops are still honoring the warranty even for those). There's an adjustable bridle which allows you to easily retune the kite back to factory specs (ozone's genius solution is just replace the entire bridle), the prices are better, and for the higher end race kites, theres not this bullshit built to order kind of mentality. Seems like the Sonic Races, are kicking ass in the competitions as well, and when it comes to the Soul vs Hyperlink debate, there's no contest.

So please Ozone fanboys, tell my why would you buy the inferior brand now? I know that having a dealer close by helps but shit, I get my gear from Ted and I'm usually not even on the same continent anymore but I know he will take care of me. Convince me I'm wrong and that Ozone is the better brand. Hell it even seems on the inflatable side that the Boost is better than the very fragile Edge, but I don't do inflatables (pumps are for chumps) so I won't get into that. So fanboys, flame away. Explain to me how your chrono/hyperlink,R1V2 is that much better.

Disclaimer, I am not affiliated with Flysurfer even though Ted does give me great deals. I've own Psychos, Speeds3,4,Lotus, Sonic FR/2, and soon a couple Souls. I even had a Chrono 1 18, which the bridle tore apart on itself. Even thought it was a known defect, I still had to pay several hundred bucks to get it shipped to Vietnam to get it replace.

So flame away and prove me wrong.

=Jason-

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Re: Ozone and Flysurfer fanboys, tell me why...

Postby WH Lithuania » Wed May 16, 2018 11:06 am

Funny guy. You can start by checking what rides world champion and that pretty much should tell you why racers are still buying R1V2 that was released in 2016. How many flysurfers released since then? And still inferior to old R1V2.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Wed May 16, 2018 12:02 pm

What’s the point starting a debate when you’ve already made up your mind?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed May 16, 2018 12:31 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:06 am
Funny guy. You can start by checking what rides world champion and that pretty much should tell you why racers are still buying R1V2 that was released in 2016. How many flysurfers released since then? And still inferior to old R1V2.
So what you're saying is, *I* could get out there on an R1 and win because the gear is so good that rider skill is irrelevant?

Yes, that's pretty much the Ozone argument. Guess Terry/Steve has been writing your speeches. :roll:

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Wed May 16, 2018 1:12 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:31 pm
WH Lithuania wrote:
So what you're saying is, *I* could get out there on an R1 and win because the gear is so good that rider skill is irrelevant?

Yes, that's pretty much the Ozone argument. Guess Terry/Steve has been writing your speeches. :roll:
No, there is no kite that would make me world champion. However, I state the fact that Ozone produces such great kites that even world champion chooses it to win.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Wed May 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Both are top quality kites.

I ride Ozone mainly just because is what local shop has (beetween other brands), and always I have the chance to try before buy, something that I can't do with Flysurfers.

If the local shop had Flysurfer as main brad I will probably ride Flysurfer.

I think you can't go wrong anyway if you buy Flysurfer or Ozone.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Wed May 16, 2018 2:11 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:12 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
WH Lithuania wrote:

No, there is no kite that would make me world champion. However, I state the fact that Ozone produces such great kites that even world champion chooses it to win.
Yes, well Daniela Moroz has left Ozone for FLYSURFER now, as has Max, Florian... need I go on ?

(Judging by his riding I reckon Nico would be competitive on anything)

But we as consumers are the real winners right ? And I also agree we ride what we can easily try and demo. Local shops determine what *most* kiters choose to ride.

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster

Postby WH Lithuania » Wed May 16, 2018 2:41 pm

Jzh_perth wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:11 pm
WH Lithuania wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:12 pm
Kamikuza wrote:

Yes, well Daniela Moroz has left Ozone for FLYSURFER now, as has Max, Florian... need I go on ?

(Judging by his riding I reckon Nico would be competitive on anything)

But we as consumers are the real winners right ? And I also agree we ride what we can easily try and demo. Local shops determine what *most* kiters choose to ride.
You miss the point like any other flysurfer fan. Ozone makes great kites and results prove it. That's the fact. Just wait until they release R1V3 and see how folks are switching to it.

Anyway, this is a really silly discussion. What we should be all happy is the competition between foil brands. Just look how much innovation was during last few years. Foil kites became usable for average LEI Joe. That's only because there are a few brands competing and investing in foil kites development.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Wed May 16, 2018 2:53 pm

I do agree with you - Ozone makes great kites, as their results testify. I am mainly stoked that we consumers benefit from ongoing development and refinement in soft kites. In 2014 I was the only guy at my spot riding foil kites and now it’s relatively common.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Wed May 16, 2018 3:01 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:41 pm

You miss the point like any other flysurfer fan. Ozone makes great kites and results prove it. That's the fact. Just wait until they release R1V3 and see how folks are switching to it.

Anyway, this is a really silly discussion. What we should be all happy is the competition between foil brands. Just look how much innovation was during last few years. Foil kites became usable for average LEI Joe. That's only because there are a few brands competing and investing in foil kites development.
I’m a Flysurfer fan today mainly because of the debacle that was R1V1. Just to confirm that R1V3 did release but it appears was a dud.. No better than the R1V2. it’s currently listed on the Formula Kite approved list more than a year ago. The new Flysurfer Race kites are pretty sweet so I’m sticking with Flysurfer for now... Beach politics may change my choice.

Return to “Foil Kites”