coffeeking
Medium Poster
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: FS Speed5 - not getting on with it

Postby coffeeking » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:39 pm

Hmm TBH I've had the 12 out in 15 gusting 22 and it was already feeling pretty nice even on the dinky board - in the (standard) punchy gusty winds here it's hard not to be taken for a jump by accident at times.

I've picked up a 150x50 King Gee to give it a whiz, let's see how that goes!
Frankly, you are no small fry and you have no business going out with a kite that small in less that 15 knots unless you are on a hydrofoil.
:rollgrin: I'm certainly no small fry, I have a 17 psycho2 for really light winds but it's really not a friend of gusts being old tech - first time I put it up it was 8 gusting 15 and a moment's lapse on the bar pressure while I was talking to someone and I floated about 12 feet off the beach for about 5 seconds.

I'm going to give this bigger board a spin - and I'll work towards higher winds as my nerves allow - popping an inflatable in the air at the edge of the window even at the top of it's range seems perfectly harmless, launching the foil even in mid-range is still un-nerving for me at the moment.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:24 am

coffeeking wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:39 pm
Hmm TBH I've had the 12 out in 15 gusting 22 and it was already feeling pretty nice even on the dinky board - in the (standard) punchy gusty winds here it's hard not to be taken for a jump by accident at times.

I've picked up a 150x50 King Gee to give it a whiz, let's see how that goes!
Frankly, you are no small fry and you have no business going out with a kite that small in less that 15 knots unless you are on a hydrofoil.
:rollgrin: I'm certainly no small fry, I have a 17 psycho2 for really light winds but it's really not a friend of gusts being old tech - first time I put it up it was 8 gusting 15 and a moment's lapse on the bar pressure while I was talking to someone and I floated about 12 feet off the beach for about 5 seconds.

I'm going to give this bigger board a spin - and I'll work towards higher winds as my nerves allow - popping an inflatable in the air at the edge of the window even at the top of it's range seems perfectly harmless, launching the foil even in mid-range is still un-nerving for me at the moment.
Convert to side launch...I find it must less dramatic in higher winds.

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:33 am

Try your celeritas with straps and loop the kite to get going that board is super fast and loves to boost. Land your jumps with a down loop , it will keep tension on the lines.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:32 am

I own a Bronq XL 150x50 that is I think very similar to the King Gee and it's a killer in light winds. This board has the feeling of a standard sized TT but lets you ride in no wind, never feels too big, it's really a miracle, nothing to compare with the classic door (I also own a Flying Carpet) that are great in light winds but horrible in gusts and when the wind picks up. I think whit a foil about 12 and the King Gee you can stay upwind with no effort in 9-10 knots.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:18 am

cwood wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:18 pm
fernmanus wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:05 am
Once you have checked the bridles and lines to make sure everything is trimmed properly, wait for a windy day. Take the 12 out in 20 knots+ and send it. You will be surprised by the magical landings of your foil kite. Frankly, you are no small fry and you have no business going out with a kite that small in less that 15 knots unless you are on a hydrofoil. Ride the kite powered up and it will put a smile on your face :rollgrin:
When I got my 12m I was on twin tips and I called it my miracle kite in the wind range that Fernmanus references. The fist time I sent it I almost killed someone by landing on them due to my brain not being ready for the height and hang time.

Foiling, its another matter. The Speeds are just too heavy. On a TT they rock. Also loved my 15m....pulled like a truck.
I just helped my friend tune his S5 12m. It was a night and day difference in power. Huge low end when looping (have you tried a downloop water start?), but still sluggish to rise back up to the zenith on the power stroke. You had to aggressively start turning it upwards a second before you got to the bottom of the stroke to keep the energy in the kite.

coffeeking
Medium Poster

Postby coffeeking » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Thanks for the tips folks, definitely going to try tuning the kite - it's pretty sluggish feeling on turns and has a tendency to tuck the tip if I'm not holding a decent amount of back line tension, at which point it's killing the speed and falls back off the plane.

Looks like a combination of improvements to be made. I'll report back when I've seen any wind at all - the UK seems to be sat under the biggest zero ever for the foreseeable future!

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2

Postby Carlos_C » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:01 pm

Telling me about the wind......Have a shed load of kite pass weekends and no wind. Am not going to do a 100 plus mile round trip for 10 mph.

If you are ever round Southend way there are a whole bunch of experienced FS riders who can lend a hand tuning

coffeeking
Medium Poster

Postby coffeeking » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:59 pm

That would be awesome, I'd love to meet you all! If I'm down I'll dig up your contacts and give you a wave!

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.

Postby Skywalker7 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:04 pm

Try it with 2 or 3 meter extension. That will help you to make wider turns and generating more power in lighter winds. You might also want to check the lenght of the control lines and shorten it with a few cm. It can be set at the end of the bar under the floaters. It helps you that you can pull the bar easier so you can prevent tip collapses and the kite will turn faster too. However for light winds you need to keep in mind that you have to move the kite with speed and not just pulling the bar totaly as with a shorter control line you might kill the speed of the kite as well the power.

coffeeking
Medium Poster

Postby coffeeking » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:09 am

Popped some 6m extensions on it. Got the 150x50 King Gee, did a mixer check (it was about 10mm out) and took it out yesterday - totally different situation. in 10-12kts I can easily get upwind now, and when it gusted up to early 20s it was a beautiful feeling kite. And it depowers spectacularly - almost couldn't believe how well it behaved, I'm shocked. It got a bit uppity in torrential rain when it got heavy and started folding tips on me, but before that it was rock steady and I was having to fight to get downwind back to the beach lol.

Still not quite got the old jump timing right yet, but with the board and the extensions it's a night and day difference.

Thanks for all your advice folks, saved me selling this beaut.

Return to “Foil Kites”