Ozone R1V2
Cabrinha Switchblades
RRD Passion MK9
Brand Affiliation: NONE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Flysurfer VMG

Postby f2020 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:08 am

Does anybody have any information on the upcoming Flysurfer VMG? Availability, Performance?

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer VMG

Postby foilonfoil » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:32 am

Focus is to get them out to the racers first. New wing profile and new bridle system. Improved stability but feedback is an incremental update from Race. Race will continue to be available for another 18 months. I just upgraded from Sonic 2’s to Race. New bridle may eventually be retrofitted to Race. There some some smoking deals on used Sonic Race now.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:07 am

Interesting, is there some forum info on this anywhere? Foilonfoil, how's the adjustment from the Sonic2 to Race?

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor

Postby Nem0 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:30 am

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:39 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:07 am
Interesting, is there some forum info on this anywhere? Foilonfoil, how's the adjustment from the Sonic2 to Race?
Sonic Race and VMGs are beautiful kites - a higher aspect ratio than the Sonic 2’s provide a more agile kite - fast moving. The 18m Race moves almost as quick as a 15m Sonic2. I find they have plenty of power with speed and power is transferred more through the front lines so bar pressure is lighter. Tips are stable. They are built to fly with much shorter lines than the Sonics - short lines are required to handle gusty winds. With the high aspect ratio, wrapping a tip due to gusts or rotor will be more difficult to clear than a Sonic so good foil kite experience is recommended... it’s not your first foil kite. All the nice features of a flysurfer foil kite including lcl’s, adjustable bridles, and a trailing edge seam that will not gather sand.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:23 pm

foilonfoil wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:39 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:07 am
Sonic Race and VMGs are beautiful kites - a higher aspect ratio than the Sonic 2’s provide a more agile kite - fast moving. The 18m Race moves almost as quick as a 15m Sonic2. I find they have plenty of power with speed and power is transferred more through the front lines so bar pressure is lighter. Tips are stable. They are built to fly with much shorter lines than the Sonics - short lines are required to handle gusty winds. With the high aspect ratio, wrapping a tip due to gusts or rotor will be more difficult to clear than a Sonic so good foil kite experience is recommended... it’s not your first foil kite. All the nice features of a flysurfer foil kite including lcl’s, adjustable bridles, and a trailing edge seam that will not gather sand.
Race vs S2....agree on what you say, including the tips....not as forgiving as the S2. Bar pressure is insanely light and they charge to the front of the window on those front lines but behave very well once they get there. They take on water FASSST. One other observation....there are not pull tabs on the vent....so not only nearly impossible to see in a self rescue, if you wear gloves or mitts in cold water you cannot open them. Local mod is to sew some small string lengths with a not on the end on each side.

f2020
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Phuket
Favorite Beaches: Phuket
Style: Kitefoil Performance and freeride
Gear: Taaroa Sword RS Ti 2018 UHM
Taaroa Sword RS 2017
Taaroa Sword2 Race Wing 2016
Ozone R1V2
Cabrinha Switchblades
RRD Passion MK9

Postby f2020 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:21 am

Flysurfer VMG officially released.

https://flysurfer.com/project/sonic-race-vmg/

f2020
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Phuket
Favorite Beaches: Phuket
Style: Kitefoil Performance and freeride
Gear: Taaroa Sword RS Ti 2018 UHM
Taaroa Sword RS 2017
Taaroa Sword2 Race Wing 2016
Ozone R1V2
Cabrinha Switchblades
RRD Passion MK9

Postby f2020 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:24 am

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:18 pm

It looks like the aspect ratio went down with the VMG compared to the Race, seems a little weird that the more racy VMG kite has a lower aspect ratio.

I have several of the Sonic Race kites and all of the Sonic 2 kites. They fly a little different, I prefer the Sonic 2 but like the Race in the bigger sizes because of the lighter fabric. I have tried different line lengths and prefer longer lines on the bigger kites but then again, I am not racing.

I would be helpful for those that have flown both Race and VMG kites to compare, I understand the VMG is the newer kite but it looks like the construction is very similar to the Race.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:08 pm

sedluk wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:18 pm
It looks like the aspect ratio went down with the VMG compared to the Race, seems a little weird that the more racy VMG kite has a lower aspect ratio.

I have several of the Sonic Race kites and all of the Sonic 2 kites. They fly a little different, I prefer the Sonic 2 but like the Race in the bigger sizes because of the lighter fabric. I have tried different line lengths and prefer longer lines on the bigger kites but then again, I am not racing.

I would be helpful for those that have flown both Race and VMG kites to compare, I understand the VMG is the newer kite but it looks like the construction is very similar to the Race.
Do you have a 9m sonic2? Some here have tried it and hated it enough to send it back. I have 11m and 15m sonic 2 and love them but got the race 9m due to the bad reports on the 9m s2. Would love to hear from someone that has flown both the s2 and race 9m.

Return to “Foil Kites”