Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Magdalen Island , Baja
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone , North
Brand Affiliation: None

Ozone Hyperlink 15 ?

Postby early bird2 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:51 pm

I'm looking for a 15 meters and since I like my Hyperlink UL 12 so much I thought : How about an Hyperlink UL 15 or 15.5 ?
This could be interesting , anyone ever heard about Ozone going this way ?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Re: Ozone Hyperlink 15 ?

Postby TomW » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:01 pm

A Hyperlink Super Ultralight 15m. With same sheet and go behaviour as other Hyperlink.

I bought a used Sonic 2 13m for light wind, used it first time yesterday. It's a completely different experience and flying technique compared to 9m Hyperlink. I'm not so sure now if it's the right kite for me, but I'll give it a season and see if it's right.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:19 pm

Have you tried the 15m ChronoV3 UL yet? I think you might like it. The V3s have a quite similar feel to the Hyperlink in regards to Bar Force and turning.

--
Gunnar

early bird2
Medium Poster

Postby early bird2 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:35 pm

Gunnar , I had a V2 and this was a very good kite , have not tried the V3 yet, the thing is I really enjoy the simplicity of the Hyperlink and for snow the open cell is a plus . When I switch from my R1V2 to the Hyperlink I really enjoy the small amount and shorts bridles and I wish I had a HP 15 .

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:21 pm

Well doesn't HL cost about as much as Soul? Why anyone wants to buy a 1.4l Volkswagen if you can have latest hybrid Mercedes for the same money :lol:

Or is it some kind of brand loyalty thing :roll: I've never got that (if you are not affiliated)

early bird2
Medium Poster

Postby early bird2 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:53 am

kitexpert , I have never seen a Soul in my area . You seem to be convinced they are way better than HL , are you affiliated ???
I thought the Soul was more comparable to the Chronos V2 or V3 .
I'm open to demo a Soul but I can't see where and when I will get this opportunity . Ozone is about the only foilkite we see around here and I never had any issues with this brand .So I have a tendency to stay with this brand .
It is tough to judge a brand from any forums because opinions are quite often biased ...so time will tell if the Soul was that good .Did you have the opportunity to demo a 15 Soul and if yes , how would you compare it to an Ozone Chrono V2 or V3 or even a HL ?
beside , I really like the idea of a kite that can be used opened and closed cells since I kite on snow about 40 days a year .
By the way , I had 2 VW Westfalia that I enjoyed traveling with , Never own a Mercedes but probably spent as much money with buying kites ....hi hi hi .

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:03 am

The Soul and the Hyperlink are two completely different kites. Earlybird wants a kite with simple bridles and an open cell option. The Soul does not fullfill those criteria.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:26 am

gmb13 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:03 am
The Soul and the Hyperlink are two completely different kites.
Ah ok, thought Hyperlink and Soul are both classified as Freeride kites,
while Chrono v3 is a Freerace, isn't it? Did I miss something here?
gmb13 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:03 am
Earlybird wants a kite with simple bridles and an open cell option. The Soul does not fullfill those criteria.
Ah ok, I thought he wants a 15 m² Hyperlink UL which doesn't exist.
And yes, Hyperlink is much simpler in construction value, but not in the way to have a bridle that will not tangle more easily. The complexity of Soul is, that you have many option to set up the kite to nearly as new shape, even if it is very old, while the simple answer from Ozone is: "Buy a new bridle".
And seriously, I like options, as the ozone zipper for snow, but don't forget, if you want to use the full snow system with the reef line safety system (originaly invented by FS), you have to install this 5te line, which you can do in a different traditional way on every foil kite in the same time (minimum 15 minutes) ... so if this is the big argument? I am not sure.

@early bird2:

So I think if Gunnar doesn't sew one personally for you :wink: , also to me
- Soul 15 m² (1999 €) would have been the first thought and
- MINIMA 15 m² would have been the secound, especially if price has any meaning to you.

But would expect that Gunnar is right for sure when talking about similar bar forces, when changing from HL to Chrono, which is an important factor, too.
(Have to add: also the Soul has higher bar forces just can compare to Chrono v1 and v2, but very similar to both.)

But if this and the for sure a bit better performance (but maybe not relaunch cabability), is worth to pay triple :o :
15 m² Chrono3 UL 3199 €
15 m² MINIMAbeta 1099 €

You have to decide yourself.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:43 am

I read you say there is no Hyperlink 15m, I checked their website, what? No 15m ?? Whats going on there Ozone?

Those prices are pretty stark,but lets just add a bit of Pansh to make it starker lol!

15 m² Chrono3 UL 3199 €
15 m² MINIMAbeta 1099 €
15 m² Pansh A15 330 €
15 m² Aurora 2 297 €

Wow! No wonder people are in disbelief at Pansh. No team whores, no car dealers, no twerking trendies, no Jeoff Bezoze = supercalifragilisticexpialidociously cheap!

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:32 pm

I've been riding my Soul 15m for about a month now, have about 30-40 hours on it. Early bird, what do you want to do with your kite? What kills Ozone for me is the lack of bridle adjustment, you're loosing performance on your Hyperlinks everyday with no way to gain it back without a costly and time consuming bridle change. The leading edge reinforcements are more fragile on Ozone kites so you need to be more careful when packing up. I can literally ball up my Soul and now worry about it. The close to open cell feature is pretty neat and I can see it being very useful in your case but zippers tend to lock up and I've seen accounts where people can't open the deflate zips already. Flysurfer use to have zippers as well but this is why they changed. I understand about brand loyalty but I would definitely get a demo in if you can. I can start on my twintip (134) in around 8kts and I've taken my 15m out in winds up to 25kts for some big air sessions(I'm 185lbs). Fantastic kite.

=Jason-

Return to “Foil Kites”