Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer hard/soft steering line question

Postby foilholio » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:31 am

LoL

kitenotexpertatall shouldn't even try because everything I wrote in that post is correct. The ratios are easily mathematically proven, the kite results are easily tested by anyone. WAC is such a simple device. It is merely a line between B( usually the main or pulley) and A main. It takes 5-20 minutes to make and install one depending if you want splices.
Regis-de-giens wrote: when backstall appears in light you first need to decrease AoA , so sheet-out the bar (and often even trim). So this WAC hard/Soft steering line will not engage at that moment and will be no use.
No it is definitely usable in light wind. First you can set when it activates, can be early or late. Second in light wind, even though you need to sheet out for static flight, you will and can sheet in for active flight. Here WAC can engage and not interfere with static flight. Then we have for the absolute low end on kites where static flight no longer works and only active flight does. This is were 1-2 knots is still flyable on most foils. Here increased camber through what ever means, WAC or adjustment will help lower the wind the kite can fly in. I fell as well I have observed static improvements with camber increase but then maybe it is just the recovery through lulls with active flight are better. You could observe the static improvement that even a little B is needed to help improve lift in lower wind, if instead this becomes Z the wing maybe is much more efficient but definitely has much more lift at those minimum AoAs.

Now all this talk of camber increase is no free lunch, the drag increase is massive, going upwind is near impossible, but water starting is never an issue. It's why I think a camber adjusting bar is probably the best solution to take advantage of it. If you have never shortened Z 20-30cm on a kite from normal then you may not have made these observations.
Last edited by foilholio on Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:06 am

Foilholio is out of WACK !

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:48 am

You are somewhat correct lol. I recently removed the WAC lines from my A15. lol.

I am surprised you must be reading my posts :-) Foil curious a bit? Girls also scratching your itch too now?

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:12 am

So,
I'd love for this thread not to spiral into some ridiculous quantum physics discussion of the WAC line.

Question:
I went through the plan lines, and it seems that the WAC line disappeared around the speed 4 series and never returned. It seems like it's an over engineered and most likely unnecessary part of the bridal?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:34 am

No it is somewhat necessary for the kites it was used on and can be used on most kites. It really depends on rider preference, there is no harm to removing it. It's not over engineering, it has a specific function and use. It depends again on rider preference. To understand what it is for and does read my other posts. If you don't understand them ask me.

Return to “Foil Kites”