Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Re: Lecca-Lecca Minima 11m First Flight

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi omg,
not knowing / nevers seen your pumping skill, hard to say. If you can pump around without kite, than it will work for sure :wink:

And also in for sure not more than 6 knts with 62 kg on a ca. 650 cm² monofoil, even on 17 m short lines, it worked fine, see 1:07 min around the church:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... fKuXzQIqqQ
http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2399859

But not knowing Onda and with 80 kg I would expect the 15 m² will be the better choice as the MINIMA is in the starting loop not one of the very fast and powerful foilkites per m², at least as long your goal is to be the very first at really around 6 knts.
Otherwise if being one of the firsts at around 7-8 knts is enough and being able to always come back with a dry kite is also important, than the 11 m² with a minimum of 24 m lines should work well. Can also depend to which smaller kite you want to connect. I think latest at 20 knts I would go in as overpowered with the 11 m² and foil with straps, which should be similar for you on the 15 m².

VB705
Rare Poster
Local Beach: VA/NC
Gear: Best, Slingshot, BRM
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby VB705 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:36 pm

I’m on a surf foil also. Riding the H2 slingshot wing. This foil comes up at very slow speeds. I weight about 89 kg/ 197 lbs.

Waiting for some decent wind to test the 11 M in. Wind isn’t looking rideable today but possibly this weekend.

I did practice launching and landing this week in 5-10 mph winds and was very happy with the ease of launching. I needed a bit more than that to actually ride though as it was very up and down that day. I’ve only flown it one time before this and I had some experienced help and a little more wind that day.

Keep in mind I’ve never owned or flown a foil kite before. I will definitely post my results once the wind cooperates.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:12 am

Horst Sergio wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:58 pm
Hi omg,
not knowing / nevers seen your pumping skill, hard to say. If you can pump around without kite, than it will work for sure :wink:

And also in for sure not more than 6 knts with 62 kg on a ca. 650 cm² monofoil, even on 17 m short lines, it worked fine, see 1:07 min around the church:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... fKuXzQIqqQ
http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2399859

But not knowing Onda and with 80 kg I would expect the 15 m² will be the better choice as the MINIMA is in the starting loop not one of the very fast and powerful foilkites per m², at least as long your goal is to be the very first at really around 6 knts.
Otherwise if being one of the firsts at around 7-8 knts is enough and being able to always come back with a dry kite is also important, than the 11 m² with a minimum of 24 m lines should work well. Can also depend to which smaller kite you want to connect. I think latest at 20 knts I would go in as overpowered with the 11 m² and foil with straps, which should be similar for you on the 15 m².
Is there an advantage to stabless or is that just for fun?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:33 pm

He said before, bit more efficient and no catapulting with breaches. I would think the main negative is balance. Given he kites a unicycle things become clearer :-)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Ive now been riding the Moses 633 wing, which is very similar to LF Impulse, Cloud 9 wings. My friend has one and we´ve hydrofoiled together. Ive been out on Hyperlink 7, 9 ul and Sonic 2 13m - several times on on the Sonic in light to powered conditions.
The " surf foil " works fantastic with these kites. I can imagine the Lecca-lecca is great too.

Be interested to hear how the depower is compared to my kites. I find these kites are depowering much much better than LEI ( north mono) and much more controlled. I´m not really in the market- the kites above are working great and have me covered in 99% of the wind i will hydrofoil in.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:18 pm

TomW wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:53 pm
Ive now been riding the Moses 633 wing, which is very similar to LF Impulse, Cloud 9 wings. My friend has one and we´ve hydrofoiled together. Ive been out on Hyperlink 7, 9 ul and Sonic 2 13m - several times on on the Sonic in light to powered conditions.
The " surf foil " works fantastic with these kites. I can imagine the Lecca-lecca is great too.

Be interested to hear how the depower is compared to my kites. I find these kites are depowering much much better than LEI ( north mono) and much more controlled. I´m not really in the market- the kites above are working great and have me covered in 99% of the wind i will hydrofoil in.
Thanks Tom... very helpful to know which size would you pick for 6 - 10 knots with a surf style foil now that you have been able to fly a few different kites with it... given the choice between 11m and 15m?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:21 pm

Laughingman,

When I asked around, my local kite buddy that's been flying foil kites for 10years and now Hydrofoiling too, he said 15m is too big for freeride. That a 13 is enough, that a 15 would not add any low end. I'm 75 kg, and I'm riding in 8knots low end. Where I kite if it's 6knots it's like 3-6 knots or more like 6-10. Average 8. I've found the 13m size to be good.
Too bad lecca lecca is only in 11 or 15.

Bryan Kiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, The Netherlands
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 2, Zian Hantu
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bryan Kiter » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:33 pm

I got the chance to test the Lecca Lecca Minima 11m2.
I weight 65kg and for all the sessions I was out on a hydrofoil.
In the first two sessions, the wind was around 10 knots with gusts up to 15 knots.
The third session was above 18 knots, that was way to overpowered for me on hydrofoil.

So here are my impressions:

This kite is super easy to fly. You don’t need to pre-fill before you launch.
It stays very stable in the air and I had never experienced any issues with tip tucking or something like that.

I noticed a lot of grunt which is good for foiling powered and for going extremely fast on your downwind stroke.
I got the feeling I’m able to going faster downwind with the Minima then with my Sonic 2 11m2.
The upwind angle is also very good.
Not like that from a race foil but more like a Flysurfer Speed and Ozone Hyperlink.
So still very good.

In the upper wind range, it helps when you keep the kite above you a bit when you are on your upwind stroke and feeling overpowered.

Until 15 knots it all felt very easy. I didn’t have to think about anything and water relaunching is a piece of cake with this one.
I can fly this kite with my eyes closed, cause I feel where the kite is everywhere in the wind window.

I had to get used on how to get started on the foil.
You need to work the kite hard, but when you keep the bar sheeted in, you will learn the trick fast.

Thanks to its mixer, it's possible to tune this characteristic a bit.

In higher winds, the kite becomes a beast. In power, but also in flying speed.

The kite is well build. I like the thick, stiff bridles!

I hope to get a session soon in under 10 knots, cause my feeling says this is where the kite will shine.

Conclusion:

The Lecca Lecca Minima is a very easy kite to fly.
Is very stable and has lots of power.
Easy to launch and relaunch.
Well build with a nice clean bridle system.

stefmoris
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Puntone
Gear: Mikeslab Bullet (3,4,.....)
Brand Affiliation: lecca-lecca / Mikeslab

Postby stefmoris » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:06 am

Hi everyone, I sent an 11 MINIMAbeta to Kiteforum member "downunder" in Perth Australia, and he has invited anyone who is interested in the Perth area in trying it to contact him via PM. -stef

dan_kan
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Poland, Gdansk, Rewa
Favorite Beaches: Rewa, Kuznica
Style: foil
Gear: FS Soul, Onda 683

Postby dan_kan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:39 pm

omg wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:52 am
hey people who have tested the 11m, what's the lowend estimate for Onda 633 foil, please? I am 80kg, and look for a kite for marginal winds, say 6knots and onwards. Would the 11m fit the bill? I am pretty good at pumping the foil on plane etc.

Thanks! :jump:
I have tasted my Minimabeta 11 with Onda 683 last weekend. The wind was around 8-9 knots and dropped to 5-6 when i finished. I realize that it was so light after I landed the kite and measure the wind again. I had no problem to play with this gear at this wind range. My mixer was B+1cm, C+2cm. I really like this kite. To start at low wind it needs a trick to move the kite depowered and when it start to accelerate power the kite.. In my opinion I have more power than i had at my previous kite FS speed 3 15m2 (maybe the bridle lines was stretched enough to lose the low end - hard to say).
I'm 80kg like U

EDIT:
Yestardey I could check out again the low end of this kite with 683s. With my mid level skills I was able to start at 6-7kt wind - a friend measured the wind while I was trying to start. I think that very important is also the board, my is Bracuru Hover.

Return to “Foil Kites”