Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

9m Hyperlink UL loses pressure too soon

For all foil kite riders
damsko
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee
Gear: RRD Cotan, Mitu Pro Strapless, Best shortstick, Naish Parks HD '16, RRD Religions '15
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

9m Hyperlink UL loses pressure too soon

Postby damsko » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:01 pm

First of all: the kite is setup in closed cell mode. I checked the zippers behind every intake and closed them. They came 90% closed from the factory but they’re all tightly sealed now! Same goes for the deflate valve.

What happens is that after landing the kite loses internal pressure really quickly. Where my friends 15m Soul is still looking like a solid wing after a few minutes my Hyperlink is completely deflated. Also preinflating only allows me to get some air in but I can’t get the pressure remotely close to said Soul.

Is this normal? I saw a video on vimeo of a 12m with normal cloth holding air just fine. Is this an ultralight feature? Me being a noob? Or should I get something fixed?

While flying the kite behaves wonderful and turns fine. I could not find any tears or holes so far.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Re: 9m Hyperlink UL loses pressure too soon

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:38 pm

Hi damsko,

with light cloth there is always the risk of getting leaky in a shorter time. Flysurfer Speed 3 with the old Deluxe cloth in 2010 had this problem after 4 years and 300 sessions in my case, as I remembere value measured with the shown porosimeter dropped to 20-30 sec.
Maybe you have a good kite or paragliding shop nearby so you can test if it is about the cloth. Know that values can vary a lot with color and position, tips are typically worse, due to higher loads.
To give an impression in pictures:

- 15 years old heavier Flysurfer Psycho 1 after about 300 sessions of usage: 45 sec. till the cylinder dropped to bottom.

- 1 year old Flysurfer Sonic1 Deluxe+ after 100 sessions of usage: 600 sec. and more:

- Just the FS Lotus cloth is something that as seen even after 5 years don't drop significantly even after many sessions. Here you have to cut in holes to get the air through :wink:
- also the Ozone Chrono V1 has a pretty good cloth in my Impression, but haven't measured since a while.
- About the Soul I am not sure yet but will measure my SonicRace with the same cloth, but would not expect to be better than Deluxe+ and for sure wont reach Lotus

damsko
Rare Poster
Gear: RRD Cotan, Mitu Pro Strapless, Best shortstick, Naish Parks HD '16, RRD Religions '15

Postby damsko » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:25 am

If it would be the cloth after 4 sessions in less than a month that would be insane. The thing is brand new! The ultralights are build to order so it probably was made less than 2 weeks before I got it.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:00 am

From my experience Ozone foilkites are just not stitched/assembled in a way that it holds air like Flysurfer or even other foil kites.

My Chrono V1, V2 en R1 V1 deflated also really quick and where like a sponge when dropped on even ripple-free water. My Peter Lynn aero's could float for ages compared to the Ozone's I had and even then only had a handfull of water inside where Ozone became more like a waterbed.

Don't know the exact cause, but it must be the seams, inlets etc instead of the cloth as that is as airtight as it can be on a new kite.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:04 pm

I have probably 40 hrs on my Hyperlink 9m UL. Not having any problems. But not comparing inflation time or remaining inflated with anything else. I inflate and launch straight downwind every time. No pre inflation.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:13 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:45 sec. till the cylinder dropped to bottom
When measuring porosity, do you consider air loss through the seams?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:15 pm

Are there any performance attributes that you think are malfunctioning? Is this just about your perception of how fast it deflates on the beach relative to a different brand kite, or is there something here that you're trying to troubleshoot because it's presenting an impediment to your enjoyment of the kite?

I've not seen a Hyperlink in person, but I've seen Chrono 1, 2, R1V1, R1V2 in person, and they have all struck me as more porous than the fabrics used by Flysurfer, Elf, and F-One. Elf is really stout and very stiff, Flysurfer is like magic and basically made out of duck skin, and F-One seems like a more plasticy/glossy fabric than Ozone which seems more like "cloth."

damsko
Rare Poster

Postby damsko » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:39 pm

Well relaunch suffers a bit of course. While flying it's all fine. However the contrast to the Flysurfer is just really stark and this not something I expected from a premium kite at this pricepoint. It makes me wonder why it's called a closed cell kite.. I'll drop by my local shop this weekend and ask them to have a look. If it's a lemmon I'll get it replaced.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:50 am

jakemoore wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:13 pm
Horst Sergio wrote:45 sec. till the cylinder dropped to bottom
When measuring porosity, do you consider air loss through the seams?
To measure that and take all factors into account you are best to do a full kite deflation timed test.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:52 am

Since i have a hyperlink 9m UL, i checked my valves/socks last night. I´ve never even looked at them.
The zippers were all closed.
But my highly uninformed thinking is that perhaps the valve sock is :
1. not long enough
2. being held " open " in reverse pressure by a stiff zipper along one side.

That seems to be where air is getting out...

Personally, I´ll never be snow or land kiting- so ill never use those zippers- could have skipped them and the mesh over the valve. save weight, material, manufacturing time.
and why would i need open cell in the snow ?? If it works on water, why wont it work on land ?

Return to “Foil Kites”