Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Bar recommendations

Postby Macster » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:40 pm

Hi all

I have two Flysurfer souls but no bar. I was using my ozone one but I had to sell that with a kite.

I found the brake handle on the Ozone bar was a little sketchy when kitelooping and was prone to getting snagged on the centre lines but I did enjoy the benefits of a brake handle. Also I like the pvc tube.

The Flysurfer bar looks ok though I heard a new model is iminent. Will the new model come with a pvc tube?

Any other options? Im.now using my cabrina 2017 bar as a temporary solution which doesnt have the steering line balls or a brake handle, so not ideal but doable.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Re: Bar recommendations

Postby foilholio » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:29 am

Brake handles are stupid, for the reason you mention and more particularly they make quicker relaunching and light wind relaunch harder.

Cab bars are nice( just the bars though nothing else :-) ). Just make up some rear line leaders with balls, or stopper knots to grab at the right place. I prefer balls as they are easier to adjust, you only need like 2 each side, one could even be enough. Older flysurfers just had thicker rope no balls. The balls help you grab the rope in the right place for relaunch, they also help with one handed relaunches.

If you need measurements for anything just ask.

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:05 am

I am using a north click bar on my soul, and a slingshot sentinel bar on the speed5

The slingshot is a better match for foil kites, the middle line is not pu coated so it is easier to grab and pull during relaunch, it also has the handles. I was asking about the new flysurfer bar, however i don't think it will be available soon.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:09 am

Problem with Click-bar is that it binds if you turn the kite which is IMO the worst thing in kite bars and foil kites like to be sheeted. I really love Flysurfer own bars. You can steer and sheet at the same time. Un-winds twisted lines. Easy to replace depower line (with core dyneema for security) if worn out.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:19 pm

Not being able to sheet and steer at the same time is really really bad for foil kites. I would steer clear of PU covered depower ropes.

I am a bit over flysurfer auto untwist. It interferes with the sheeting a bit. Makes riding or tricks that involve twisted lines just a little more difficult than they need be. And that's using a modified Infinity 1 release which works much much better than the newer one.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:36 pm

The flysurfer bar is decent but there’s issues that they never have corrected like bungees to secure the lines which never work, grip that easily gets damaged and those damn bar floaters which always tears. The latest infinity 3.0 CC is pretty good but I’m curious to see what the new 4.0 has in store. I expect the new bar to be released with the need Speed/Sonic so that won’t be happening till new yearish I’m betting. Anyone have any spy pics of the new bar? I know they’ve been testing it for awhile.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:43 pm

The Bridge crew have proto bars I know, apparently it may be out in September but I’m not sure how reliable this is.

How does a brake line interfere with launching and relaunching exactly? I do use it for self landing - it’s useful to loop around a stake and keep the kite on the ground although I’m sure I’d manage some other way if I didn’t have one. How to people without one do it when required?

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:06 pm

Thanks all. What about the Core bar?

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites
Has thanked: 0

Postby baxterbradford » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:22 pm

I'm using the Core Sensor 2S with my 18m Soul. It works fine despite at 54cm being shorter than the recommended 60cm for the 18m.

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:27 am

baxterbradford wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:22 pm
I'm using the Core Sensor 2S with my 18m Soul. It works fine despite at 54cm being shorter than the recommended 60cm for the 18m.
Sorry but even if i love it, the Core Sensor2 bar is in fact not suitable to ride with a high aspect foil kite like the Soul. You just can't securely flag the kite with this bar. This is pretty dangerous if you are not aware of that. Also this bar is 52cm but that's fine.

Return to “Foil Kites”