For all foil kite riders
neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pansh Aurora II vs A15me

Postby neilhapgood » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:05 am

loving this thread as having the same dilemma myself.

again I weigh 80kg and ride a HF, I can't gybe and don't see myself learning so just drop in the water and turn the board around, I am normally always in choppy water and doing quite long runs up and down a 2km long beach. I am the only person that kitesurfs there.

Between work and family I have to prioritise my water time so try and go when its going to be good, I am massively attracted to the idea of foiling in 6-7 knots but wondering is it as good as it sounds or even with a 15m foil kite do you still often have a nightmare with kite falling out sky and hard work to get going etc, in which case would I be better getting a 12m foil kite and just going in 8 knots plus?

If I do go for a 15m which is better out the two pansh options, like I said I am not gybing and go in the same direction for a long runs, I am not worried about going super quick but equally I have had an LEI in the past that as you sped up on the foil it just sat back to far and pulled you onto your toes so want to avoid that as well, although in low winds that might not be an issue?

Thanks

Neil

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:48 am

Niel,
You'll learn to air gybe. Keep at it. Actually a foil kite helps learning as then provide more stable and consistent pull. And i find foil kite drifts better .

I am 75kg . Wear a lot of rubber so add kgs. . have 7-9 m hyperlink . And Sonic 2 13m. Use the 9m down to 10 knots. If it's 6-12 I'll use Sonic 2 13m. If it's 15+ I'll use the 7m, but all season 47 sessions ( I log them) . I have 40 on hyperlink 9m. 6 on Sonic 13m and 1 on hyperlink 7m . The 9m works good 10-18 knots, most common wind here.

It was good decision for me to get the 9m first, learn to fly it, then get the 13m for lighter wind. Light wind with foil kite can be tricky I have read, but so far my experience with Sonic 2 13m is that it is easier than LEI. I was using north Mono before in 12-9-7m . They fly in light wind but get overpowered quickly.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:55 am

it is not obvious at first sight, but lateral traction as you describe comes quite rapidly in low wind because the relative wind of the HF is important in proportion to the low real wind; so it pushes the kite backward and transform to lateral traction; however for non-gibing person (which will often waterstart thus) or with the intention to learn gybe in good condition (and better chance to relaunch), A15 should be easier... , but also easier to handle on the beach , even if both have long bridles; lower wind will be easier to reach with A15 at the price of a bit less comfort in straight line and more rapidly over-powered (more lateral traction but is it a real issue in your case ??? feeling the power of lateral traction can be pleasant in low wind if not looking for upwind speed.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:16 pm

Laughingman wrote: thanks Foilholio... is it worth getting the bar just to eliminate any unforseens with my bars or is the 5th line really supposed to be slack. Seems some people say it needs tension?
Well the Pansh bar has it's own unforeseens, chickenloop is rubbish, safety line at the bar is too thin and the whole doesn't seem setup right or well. I would recommend have a bar setup and permanently connected to the kite. For that you could buy the Pansh bar and use it for parts to make something. The bar itself is okish, lines are reasonable and it's cheap. There is much better lines and bars to be found else where though.
bar
Fifth has no tension it is just for safety and is not necessary if you use front line safety.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:09 pm

neilhapgood wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:05 am
loving this thread as having the same dilemma myself.
again I weigh 80kg and ride a HF, I can't gybe and don't see myself learning so just drop in the water and turn the board around,
Neil, the flying gybe is easier then you think once you are on the right equipment in the right conditions... practice your heel to toe-side turns with your twin-tip and then do the same thing with the hydro foil when conditions are right. Once I tried it the fear of it melted away... but could only do it with my right hand forward... so went back to the twin-tip and practiced with my left hand forward till it felt more comfortable.. went back to the HF and pulled it off withing 3 attempts. Don't bother switching feet yet... just ride toe-side its easier then with a twin-tip

ladomi
Medium Poster

Postby ladomi » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:51 pm
slack lines (Flite is not wonderful on this point).

Light cloth is necessary to differenciate from the very good OR Flite.
This is very informative. I have just started hydrofoiling and have 5 sessions. I have OR Flite 12M & 10M. I have trouble going downwind in light conditions. I have to pay very careful attention to the kite with lines that are slack and the kite does not want to react. I'm also finding in general the pull is very weak coming out of a downloop on my jibe attempts and if the kite goes down it will not relaunch.

Considering regular prices, I would never get a kite specifically for HF. However this price point is incredible and is making me reconsider. Would the A15 do everything better than my Flites? Could the 9M possibly replace my 10M
and 12M?!!

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:27 pm

IMO you will not get more power from the A9 compared to Flite 10. My extreme lower end on large hydrofoil was about 8-9 knots with the A9 and is about the same with the 10m Flite in my memory (approx becasue never tested the far low-end as I switch to Pulsion 12m).

It is just that A9 will hang in the air with less wind and with less (no ...) rear line tension, so be more stable during the pure downwinds or slack line phases of unprecise gybes. But it will also loop larger than the Flite, which can be disturbing ; and still requires some rear line tension if you want to make it turn ...

So 12m or 15 m or nothing if you want to actually increase your low wind ; 9m envisageable if same wind as Flite is acceptable to you but more stable with slack line ( no fronstall like the Flite or most LEI)

ladomi
Medium Poster

Postby ladomi » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:37 pm

Thank you. Since I'm beginning to hydrofoil I'm amazed at the ability to get out in lightwinds on the 10M Flite so if the A9 is similar I would be content for now. Especially if I didn't have to work the kite to keep it in the air. I think I could live with a slower loop.

I'm unable to relaunch the Flite when getting in the lower range. Will the A9 relaunch better in that lower range? If yes, does it require a lot of skill?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:31 pm

Yes far far better. A9 is quite easy . You just pull the two rear lines from above the floats up to get the kite higher than its span, then you release one of tge two lines for a half loop sending tge kite to the zenith. Just needs some meters in front of you for the first trials.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:36 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:31 pm
Yes far far better. A9 is quite easy . You just pull the two rear lines from above the floats up to get the kite higher than its span, then you release one of tge two lines for a half loop sending tge kite to the zenith. Just needs some meters in front of you for the first trials.
So reverse launch? That is what is sounds like...

Return to “Foil Kites”