Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pansh Aurora II vs A15me

For all foil kite riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pansh Aurora II vs A15me

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:40 pm

Exactly ! I detailed because some LEI user do not practice that since it is not so key on LEI.

olebarry
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ireland
Style: Onshore dumpy beach breaks, small airs
Gear: Flexifoil Shiva 3D 2015 11m
Pansh Aurora II 10m
Gastra Spark 2013 7m
Best Guroo 2008 6M
Flysurfer Radical 5 138 * 42
Alpine Foil VR5 V2 with XLP wing
Has thanked: 0

Postby olebarry » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:48 am

Just to update everyone on this I ended up buying a secondhand 10m ultralight Aurora II from a local friend who had fitted the mixer system from an old flysurfer speed 4.

It had been stored away for a year after it had started to go out of tune.

On my first test flight on the beach it seemed to easily overfly...loads of power and in particular lift...turning was slow on a 55cm 4 line bar but not unbearable. I shortened B and C slightly using the mixer. Kite then sat slightly better back in the window although I still needed to sheet in at 12 O'Clock to avoid overflying when parked.

I hit the water in around 8 knots on my hydrofoil...got up and going with minimal effort. Great upwind angle but lower wingtip seemed to easily loose shape in the small lulls? Overflying still perhaps?

Tried my first gybe on it, very slow on the downloop and then way too much power as I left the bar out through the power zone...ended up crashing the kite and with a bridle tangle near the wingtip...firstst ever reverse relaunch nearly worked but the tangle dragged it back down...after maybe 3/4 minutes it started to take on some water...I resigned myself to a long swim in. Unfortunately on the way in the kite reached the break zone before I could pack up. End result of this was two snapped bridle lines but the kite itself appeared okay.

Waiting now to get two new bridle lines made up but have to say I think for the money these kites are very good..Just be gentle on them they don't like crashing. :nono:

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:42 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:27 pm
IMO you will not get more power from the A9 compared to Flite 10. My extreme lower end on large hydrofoil was about 8-9 knots with the A9 and is about the same with the 10m Flite in my memory (approx becasue never tested the far low-end as I switch to Pulsion 12m).

It is just that A9 will hang in the air with less wind and with less (no ...) rear line tension, so be more stable during the pure downwinds or slack line phases of unprecise gybes. But it will also loop larger than the Flite, which can be disturbing ; and still requires some rear line tension if you want to make it turn ...

So 12m or 15 m or nothing if you want to actually increase your low wind ; 9m envisageable if same wind as Flite is acceptable to you but more stable with slack line ( no fronstall like the Flite or most LEI)
Will the A9 drift better than the Flite?

My Flite 10 is wearing out and I'm not 100% sold on the Ultra 9m (early days but feels like it has less power except in the loops) but boy does the Ultra try its best to stay dry. Its hands down the one I want to use when learning anything new but I always go back to the flite if I just want to cruise around and jump. Wondered if the A9 might bridge the gap between the two (not so powerful in the turns and drifts enough to recover after a crash easily)

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:01 am

olebarry wrote:I shortened B and C slightly using the mixer
olebarry wrote: then way too much power as I left the bar out through the power zone
I will keep trying to get the point across... but if you shorten B you lose depower. Better to extend Z for making more stable. And most likely you need to extend B,C and Z in ratio to get full depower again.
olebarry wrote: 10m ultralight Aurora II from a local friend who had fitted the mixer system from an old flysurfer speed 4
Little weird, what happened to the speed4?
olebarry wrote:wingtip seemed to easily loose shape in the small lulls?
If you slack Z more it should fix it. Depending how the tip is bridled, you could lengthen Z or shorten C or B , or if there is no A then maybe lengthen B. All depends on the cord locations at the tip. Shortening the very front and rear destabilize. More to the middle stabilizes.

Very low lulls will knock the shape out of foils especially if they are to the side. 12 oclock they are most balanced and hold shape the best. If you quickly pull a rear line on the high side of the kite you can sometimes correct them on slack lines.
olebarry wrote: ended up crashing the kite and with a bridle tangle near the wingtip
Sometimes you need to flip it first and it will then untangle. Other times you can pull on the good side to flag the kite or just a bit and it will untangle. Other times you have to swim to the kite and untangle it, best you learn this on the beach first. Generally timing and techniques to avoid and undo tangles is learned with time. Also getting your body tangled in line or bridles is very dangerous, wind lines up if you go to the kite.
olebarry wrote: End result of this was two snapped bridle lines but the kite itself appeared okay.
I suspect the LCLs on Pansh arn't engineered right. Flysurfer uses ones far too strong now and bridles and parts of the kites tend to rip now. I generally have no issue with foils getting damaged in surf, as long as "disclaimer" there is no tension in the lines. If a kite is going to pull tension in waves I drop the whole thing, full release. I often release the leash in preemption of this. It may be time consuming to recover and untangle a foil after release in surf, but it is much worse to repair a broken one. Having sad that, my foils take a punishing no LEI could in the surf. I have repeatedly had some kites hit by 2-3 head high waves with full line tension and no damage. Not pleasant on me but a quick ride to shore.
olebarry wrote:Waiting now to get two new bridle lines
Have some line and a knife with you and the cut and tie knots. Splices and stitching are not a must.
olebarry wrote:Just be gentle on them they don't like crashing.
There is no magnetic blow off valves on the Ultralight is there?
nothing2seehere wrote:Will the A9 drift better than the Flite?
Depends on what you consider better. It will drift in lighter wind and float slower out of the air. But it won't do so as easy. You will need to learn how to make it drift well, and as unsettling as it is for a LEI rider it does this directly above your head ( or the middle of the window) where it has perfect balance, you know that thing Thanos is on about.

Foils punish hard when flown wrong, with tangles and swims. That said I surf with them and slack the lines so much I can almost guarantee you havn't seen something like it before, even in vids. No line tension is the best for surfing.

olebarry
Rare Poster
Pansh Aurora II 10m
Gastra Spark 2013 7m
Best Guroo 2008 6M

Postby olebarry » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:32 pm

olebarry wrote:I shortened B and C slightly using the mixer
olebarry wrote: then way too much power as I left the bar out through the power zone
foilholio wrote: I will keep trying to get the point across... but if you shorten B you lose depower. Better to extend Z for making more stable. And most likely you need to extend B,C and Z in ratio to get full depower again.
Foilholio as always thanks for the informative response :thumb:

Loss of depower range sounds about correct I will look at the B / C / Z ratio to try and overcome this. Currently the depower range is no better than my 11m LEI.
olebarry wrote: 10m ultralight Aurora II from a local friend who had fitted the mixer system from an old flysurfer speed 4
foilholio wrote:Little weird, what happened to the speed4?
No idea what happened to the speed 4 this guy goes through a lot of foil kites..
olebarry wrote: ended up crashing the kite and with a bridle tangle near the wingtip
foilholio wrote:Sometimes you need to flip it first and it will then untangle. Other times you can pull on the good side to flag the kite or just a bit and it will untangle. Other times you have to swim to the kite and untangle it, best you learn this on the beach first. Generally timing and techniques to avoid and undo tangles is learned with time. Also getting your body tangled in line or bridles is very dangerous, wind lines up if you go to the kite.
Great advice on how to overcome tangles by getting the kite to flag on the good side. It all comes with experience I guess.
olebarry wrote: End result of this was two snapped bridle lines but the kite itself appeared okay.
foilholio wrote:I suspect the LCLs on Pansh arn't engineered right. Flysurfer uses ones far too strong now and bridles and parts of the kites tend to rip now. I generally have no issue with foils getting damaged in surf, as long as "disclaimer" there is no tension in the lines. If a kite is going to pull tension in waves I drop the whole thing, full release. I often release the leash in preemption of this. It may be time consuming to recover and untangle a foil after release in surf, but it is much worse to repair a broken one. Having sad that, my foils take a punishing no LEI could in the surf. I have repeatedly had some kites hit by 2-3 head high waves with full line tension and no damage. Not pleasant on me but a quick ride to shore.
foilholio wrote:Have some line and a knife with you and the cut and tie knots. Splices and stitching are not a must.
Yeah in the future I will definitely be going for the full release option in the surf. Regardless 2 broken lines is definitely preferable to a ripped canopy so I think I got off lucky. I must look into getting some dyneema for the bridle repair so and keep it in the car..would 3mm be suitable? Too much drag? Current bridle lines appear much thinner maybe 1.5mm.
olebarry wrote:Just be gentle on them they don't like crashing.
foilholio wrote:There is no magnetic blow off valves on the Ultralight is there?
There appears to be a magnetic blowoff valve on this model? maybe it isn't an ultralight after all but the fabric feels incredibly lightweight compared to a standard material speed 3 at the local beach.
foilholio wrote:Foils punish hard when flown wrong, with tangles and swims. That said I surf with them and slack the lines so much I can almost guarantee you havn't seen something like it before, even in vids. No line tension is the best for surfing.
I would agree that foils do seem to punish hard but so far I am loving the tiny packdown size, the lift for foot switches and the low drag feeling as I shoot upwind, can't wait to try the 10m in a 20 knots Twin top session for some big hangtime airs! Drift is something I have yet to get to grips with always worried about a frontstall in a gybe etc. Hence my downloops. I'll have to trust the kite to drift with me more once I get it set up well!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:07 pm

Bridle line diameter depends where in the bridle. The thicker stuff would be for the mains, 1-1.5mm. Pulley lines are thickest 1.5-2mm. Generally some kite line can be used for these thicker bridle lines and even the pulley line. 3mm is way too thick even for pulley lines. As you go higher in the bridle the lines get much thinner, Flysurfer generally uses 100kg line at the kite and thinner still for their race kites. If you grab a flysurfer line plan, you can see what lines they use and get an idea what is needed. Jerry Brown Line One Hollow Core is good for making bridles,and easily spliced. Also cheap dyneema/spectra fishing lines from china are fine, but usually can not be spliced. Having a few strengths is good. I have stuff from like 20lbs up to maybe 1000lb for kite lines. Lower strengths are good for doubling over and making extensions.

You can roll foils up really tiny for travel. I usually roll once, unroll, fold length wise into 1/3 or 1/4 and roll again. To roll quick and tight, you loosely and quickly roll ( bigger rolls faster), then at the last meter roll very tight. You can also just pack them straight with no rolling into the bag like a sleeping bag or paraglider. If you roll them with bar out at the tip, you can hold the bridles and middle of the kite while rolled and the wind will unroll the kite in the air. Quickly grab the tips when they come out. Let go of the middle. Sand one tip, sand the other tip :-) Shake bridles out, (prefill center vent in light wind), run bar and lines out and launch. 30 to 90 seconds from rolled to flying.

Oversheeting seems to help when slack lines start and generally when kite is about to go funny. Generally the kite won't overfly unless you have a wave pulling you down wind, which you could ride swell on a hydrofoil to do it. The problem with slack lines is eventually kite will fall with gravity to the water. Another reason to start it high at 12oclock so it has further to fall, longer lines work well because of this and drag. You also can ride through your lines which is not good. If you were really into down wind riding, or wanted to say make it more stable for offshore riding you could try attaching tails to it. Won't help upwind riding though :-) TIght Z works well for power downwind too, but not stable.

Pansh standard fabric I think is a little lighter than Flysurfer standard. I thought Pansh didn't include the magnetic valves on the ultralight but I may be wrong.

olebarry
Rare Poster
Pansh Aurora II 10m
Gastra Spark 2013 7m
Best Guroo 2008 6M

Postby olebarry » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:48 am

Just to update on this:

Got the bridle lines repaired and kite seems to be static flying well. Looking forward to another session at the weekend with further tuning going to add some pigtails to easily play with Z length.

I'm enjoying the new foil kite experience so much that I decided to take a punt on a 2019 genesis 6m for high wind foiling 25 - 30 knots. Planning to build a custom bar with lots of throw and hoping that the really low AR will keep it stable.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:16 pm

Has anyone tried the “new” Genesis 6m for higher wind foiling?

olebarry
Rare Poster
Pansh Aurora II 10m
Gastra Spark 2013 7m
Best Guroo 2008 6M

Postby olebarry » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:01 pm

Jyoder wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:16 pm
Has anyone tried the “new” Genesis 6m for higher wind foiling?
Will update as soon as I can windy season arrived last weekend!

F-Bear
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: SpaceBall Beach
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Gear: Kites: Switch Element V3 9m, Switch Nitro V4 14m, Best Waroo 17m, Airush DNA 13m, Pansh A15 12m with Jackomixer, Genesis 6m with Jakomixer, Flysurfer Peak4 5m
Boards: Lightwave Wing, Slingshot Wakefoiler with H2 wing
Bars: Mash-up (favorite is older Airush with ozone trimmer, Switch CL, custom lines), older Switch with ozone trimmer and modified quick release so it actually works.

Postby F-Bear » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:53 pm

maybe we need to start a new thread for the Genesis 2019 ? I too am interested in this kite.....$100 delivered to my door? YES PLEASE !

F-Bear

Return to “Foil Kites”