For all foil kite riders
jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: A15 15m first impressions

Postby jakemoore » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:28 pm

I hang them to dry in my shed with brass tea cup hooks in the terminal loops of the Z bridles. I used to do a hair dryer where I removed the heating element. Now I just let it hang a few days if needed.

20 liters no problem. Be patient. I have even swam to the kite, turned it leading edge up, unwrapped bridles, and swam back to tense the lines.

As long as the wind picks up the leading edge it will pump the water out, especially for Flysurfer. I can't say if A15 has an easy time draining water. It does have more of that classic foil kite experience of sheeting out for power and sheeting in for turning even than Sonic.

So never give up on relaunch unless: 1) The wind is so low that the kite won't sit up to catch the wind. 2) You are being pulled into danger, e.g. off shore winds or 3) You are about to go through the surf zone and the kite will be thrashed by the waves

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:44 pm

Can someone please post a diagram of the differnt lines and where to find them? re... Z line... wtf is a z line....

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:22 pm

Z line refers to the Z main, which is the first of the Z bridles that connects to your rear lines. The Z bridles are the bridles that connect closest to the TE/trailing edge or very rear of the kite. Pull your rear lines up and look for the lines that connect to the rear of the kite that is the Z bridles.

Bridles go in spanwise rows or galleries labeled in order front to back A,B,C, and Z. Various brands have other stupid labels for them that confuses everyone. Even Flysurfer will relabel Z to BR, but still refer to it as Z in many places I guess just to f*** with everyone. You can have variations of the number of bridle rows but always starting with A and ending with Z. For example A,B,Z and A,B,C,D,E,Z. Z are also commonly referred to as brake lines or brakes which is one of their functions.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:57 pm

Thanks foilholio, Flew my A15 again last night, this time I started in about 4- 6 knots and ended in about 89 knots. I felt like I could foil as soon as I got it in the air but was not there for that, I was trying to learn to make power with it based on the previous suggestions. I think I have it now.

I flew it for about an hour in total but the sand that is in there is not moving to the tips. It seems to be trapped in the same spot on both sides about 7-10 chambers in from the tip... it is not a lot but enough that it is visible while flying. Any other suggestions on getting that sand out or should I even worry about it?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:56 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:57 pm
I started in about 4- 6 knots and ended in about 89 knots.
Nice wind range ! :lol:
For the sand unless you can feel the added weight locally when in hand, nothing urgent .

If you want to get rid of it, just hang the kite vertically at the center cell, Trailing edge down, and shake cell by cell to push the sand to the next cell, then hang the kite from this new cleaned cell up to the next one, ect ... up to the tip ; then you can open the velcro at the tip to purge the sand

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:06 pm

lol opps... 8 knots

and thanks for the tip. I will try that, seems counter intuitive to leave sand in there after I spent extra for the light weight material.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:49 pm

I understand but the actual weight is lighter than it appears. Once i remove a lot a lot of sand, about one yellow box in a "kinder surprise" i.e one ball of 2cm diameter andbit was weighting ... 20 gr ...

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:19 pm

If you grab the front lines and shake or violently pull it can help move the sand. Also when the kite is side ways the sand can move through the bigger holes in the cell walls. It may still be wet hence not coming out yet. You could try shaking it on the ground to get it loose of moving to the next cell.

Return to “Foil Kites”