Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Test of Pulsion 3.69m

For all foil kite riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Test of Pulsion 3.69m

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:32 pm

Hello all,
I recently bought a second-hand conceptair Pulsion 3.69m2 that tested today. This foilkite is so small that it deserves a dedicated post ...

Image When packed, It enters in a shoes carton box !!! Or 15 liters back pack.

My objective is both wave-foil riding in high wind and ponctual use on snow with very high winds.

Today was without waves but extreme irregular wind : from 7 knots lulls to 45 knots gusts and variable orientation within a minute. Local kiters were sitting on the beach praying for smoother conditions to come.

I launched the kite very easily (middle of the wind window and felt very safe on the beach so i took my large hydrofoil (1200cm2) and tried ... (we have rocks shelters around)

It worked well even if i am not used to such conditions and small kites. Kite is safe and agile enough, but not too much ( like could a 4m LEI be, at least too much for my comfort and taste).
- Depower is good ; 45 knots seems the limit for my light weight. Even with this small size, a trim is useful.
- lower end is hard to announce due to the wind varations today but I would say between 10 knots and 14 knots to be confirmed when steady.
- 1 relaunch from the water : same technics as LEI .... but fare more rapid and easy !
- stability is incredible and combined to its excellent drift you can let the bar go and kite stays up almost alone even in gusts.
- when drastic turbulences collapse the kite, it closes in two during 1-3 seconds but re-open very smoothly even in the middle of the window (i was so in confidence that i have even let the bar fully go while it was re-opening just to see and get no "ejection". This is a good point for snowkite .
- I was not in confort overall in these conditions but I was the only one riding 3x30 minutes (others tt and foilers tried and gave up rapidly).
- loop is powerfull (like bigger pulsions). This could be disturbing in waves if not prepared to but provides a very good low end.

I am very happy with it. The combo with large hydrofoil leads to incredible wind range ... and riding with such a micro-kite is awsome (agility, space in the window for loops) ... and I could envisage even smaller !
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Re: Test of Pulsion 3.69m

Postby slowboat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:48 pm

I’m intrigued by these kites for wave riding due to their drifting ability. Wonder how this compares to his small “wave kites”. I also have a concern about self landing in higher winds

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:56 am

That kite is very different than big sizes of Pulsion. So much so perhaps it would have been better name it differently?

Compared to Wave kite from the same brand it looks quite similar. What are the differences?
Regis-de-giens wrote: - stability is incredible and combined to its excellent drift you can let the bar go and kite stays up almost alone even in gusts.
It should be, AR is very low. I know from my own experience it is possible to make a kite with much higher AR which is extremely stable (0 collapses/over flying during those years I used it). This was about ten years ago. I survived with it in gusts that collapsed low AR FS kite several times.

Drawback with this kind of kites is that they are of lower performance than "normal" kites, but of course in high winds it doesn't matter or may be even a benefit.

Spanwise straps and LE stiffeners are noteworthy details. Bridle is dense on A and B, C has less of it. Excessive line drag slows down kite (can be beneficial) and keeps it deeper in the WW (beneficial for stability, but not for depower) Structure of kite is strong for sure.

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:58 am

I have the 6.5 pulsion. I also have a 6.5 original wave. I find that the pulsion is much faster through the wind window on the powerstroke and generates much more power during that stroke. I also find that it has more depower than the wave kite when not being moved. Although I find the wave kite has lots of depower, it just sits deeper in the wind window. I was curious if the 3.69 has the same attributes? Really powered-up I prefer the wave kite because it is a much gentler if I make a mistake and the power stroke generates power much more slowly. Underpowered I prefer pulsion because the powerstroke will get me up on the foil easier. Do you think this is the same with the 3.69 pulsion?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:17 am

I think it is the same indeed. I hesitated a lot with the CA wave 4.5 or 3 m.
Benoit Tremblay develops each size of Pulsion (whicha are not scaled-up). So IMO , pulsion 3.69 has lower AR because for freeride use it is not necessary in high winds while better stability of lower ratios is apreciated and useful.

I choose 369 vs wave or its ideal size for me and a bit more LD ratio for snowkite and upwind at low speed. And because it needs a bit more piloting (hence fun) which i like.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:25 am

Here is the video ; Sorry the quality is affected by the harsh conditions;

https://youtu.be/QhgDhh5kksM

For those who want to skip the full 4 minutes :
- crash et relaunch at 1:40
- huge wind variation at 2:20
- the highest gust at 3:44 (46 knots recorded)

The kite keep safe in those conditions ; one of the sessions I will remember in 2018 !

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed May 08, 2019 10:30 am

anoother one last week on the "promenade des Anglais" in Nice, great landscape with "Negresco hotel" ; in very low wind in the end, where even HF with 10m LEI had stopped riding ... I reached the shore with pain

also tested again in 25 knots and a bit more ; I start liking riding with a very small kite , and considering even smaller than 3.7m2...

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun May 19, 2019 11:02 pm

Now in Marseille in April, south of France, i just finished the editing...
Always a lot of people having questions about how possibly to foil with such a "kite for kids " :baby:

What I love is the rapidity and safety of the preparation and launch...

Now i am curious to test the CA wave in comparison, so maybe i may sell it (or interested by any punctual swap with a 4.5 of 3 wave if interested)

Return to “Foil Kites”