My second foil...and i feel like a beginner again! Help

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
spacemonkey
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My second foil...and i feel like a beginner again! Help

Postby spacemonkey » Fri May 30, 2014 5:05 pm

Hello, i have been foiling for a year now on a Moses foil, this a low AR foil. I can do everything on this ( gybe , tack, jump, ...). Now i want to begin racing, so i got myself a Taaroa Sword with a Temavento board. This thing is completely different, can't foil a meter on it. Its very twitchy, lifts up too much and then i go down again, can not get it stable. Is this just me or is there an issue with the setup? Maybe i should go faster on this one? Help, help

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: My second foil...and i feel like a beginner again! HELP

Postby Hawaiis » Fri May 30, 2014 5:30 pm

Every foil has its difference, it only take a couple of sessions to sort it out. Just be patient, try to ride with the board touching water first.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Re: My second foil...and i feel like a beginner again! Help

Postby BraCuru » Fri May 30, 2014 5:59 pm

You need to go faster than on the Moses before you start to lift a board and it would be simple.
Keep touching the water, accelarate even a bit downwind and once you got much more speed than usually liftt a board. Otherwise you will be "kangooring" all this season ;)

ozchrisb
Frequent Poster

Postby ozchrisb » Fri May 30, 2014 6:02 pm

As BraCuru said, go fast. You also might want to put the foot straps as close to the nose as possible. This will help you keep the front wing down when it start to lift. Have fun once it clocks they're amazing machines. I love my Sword!

spacemonkey
Medium Poster

Postby spacemonkey » Fri May 30, 2014 7:14 pm

Hey Marek, nice word "kangarooing" could not have said it better, haha.

Thanks for advice, I'll try to put the straps all the way toward the nose.

And then go fast with the board on the water, wish me luck, I'm gonna die.

Can't believe the speed is so much different...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri May 30, 2014 10:30 pm

Actually your headline is more correct than you maybe thought at first :thumb:

Others who has started on low AR foils, has said the very same "They had to learn all over as beginners again" when switching to high AR race foils :naughty:

This is normal, and can feel and be a huge quantum leap most often - back to basics and learning again.

So I think you just need to take your time and enjoy the challenge (I do) :rollgrin:

8) PF

skerrj
Rare Poster
Local Beach: lake isabella
Favorite Beaches: ca coast, maui
Style: cruise
Gear: directionals, neos

Postby skerrj » Sat May 31, 2014 4:54 am

thinking i should have gotten a moses! (actually asked them for quote before taaroa)

instead, i tried learning with a sword. and sort of learned: foiling on both tacks (heelside), 6m, 8m and 10m kites, 78kg, no swell, single front strap with no rear strap, mostly upwind... mostly, with non-foiling starboard jibes only, and no toe-side riding on either tack. yet! (which took some time including thinking about giving up and selling it and repairing rear wing seat after crashing during wake/ski boat towing session, which IMHO was useless!)

this was on a garage modified Pearson surf board.

all was good :D

then, because the pearson is falling apart (board.. not plug), i hacked up a airush sector v2 60, beveled the rails and chopped the nose.

I could not ride the new board.... got very bummed out! (it has almost no rocker compared to other board and is much shorter... guess i chopped to much off nose)

went back to crappy Pearson and continue learning.

I think it was the rocker, and length, that confused me, although it could have been strap placement?

long story but....what everyone else said: any change, board or foil, makes a difference!

you already know how to fly!
scott

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sat May 31, 2014 7:29 am

Hi,

There are two things that are super important to figure out when you change to a new board or foil or both.

1) Footstrap Trim: Where you put your back foot is more important in terms of the foil "kangarooing". If you are bouncing up and down, then your back too needs to be farther forward.

Front foot position is also a factor. If you find that you are getting too much pressure on your front foot, then move this position forward too. If you find that there is no feedback at all, move if back a bit.

When changing to shorter boards I find you need to inadvertently move the fron foot at least one position forward as the weight of the nose is reduced. So if you shortened your board, then move the strap up.

2) What Speeds does the Foil need to be stable. What fascinates me every time I try different foils, is how different we have all developed our foils to work.

eg. The Sword is very pitch and roll stable at higher speeds, but when starting it's harder as it needs the speed. I find it stalls out quite aggressively at low speeds if you are not 100% accurate with your angle of attack. Once you get used to it, it's not a problem. It's just very different from what I/you are used to from other foils.

--
Gunnar

lander
Frequent Poster

Postby lander » Sat May 31, 2014 8:52 am

Yes, racefoils will make you feel like a beginner again. And just like when you were a beginner the formula to success is the same. Practice Practice Practice ;)

spacemonkey
Medium Poster

Postby spacemonkey » Sat May 31, 2014 1:52 pm

I'm wondering, how great is the speed difference to get going?
gmb13 wrote:Hi,

There are two things that are super important to figure out when you change to a new board or foil or both.

1) Footstrap Trim: Where you put your back foot is more important in terms of the foil "kangarooing". If you are bouncing up and down, then your back too needs to be farther forward.

Front foot position is also a factor. If you find that you are getting too much pressure on your front foot, then move this position forward too. If you find that there is no feedback at all, move if back a bit.

When changing to shorter boards I find you need to inadvertently move the fron foot at least one position forward as the weight of the nose is reduced. So if you shortened your board, then move the strap up.

2) What Speeds does the Foil need to be stable. What fascinates me every time I try different foils, is how different we have all developed our foils to work.

eg. The Sword is very pitch and roll stable at higher speeds, but when starting it's harder as it needs the speed. I find it stalls out quite aggressively at low speeds if you are not 100% accurate with your angle of attack. Once you get used to it, it's not a problem. It's just very different from what I/you are used to from other foils.

--
Gunnar

Return to “Gear Builders”