Gear: Ozone Edges
RRD Rapida
Airush Sector 60
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Another home build

Postby Edge19 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:06 pm

Starsky wrote:That is anything but a Frankenfoil!!!! Beautiful craftsmanship. I know deep down I'm far more likely to buy than build, but you guys are inspiring.
Thanks Starsky,
home building can be rewarding, but seriously the amount of times i wished i had not started it!!! money wise, the way i went about it, i could have bought a Top brand foil with board :lol:
you think im joking!!!!

good luck what ever you decide to do. Like i said if you want any info on how i joined my fins, let me know. i got pics and everything :D

Tinkersailor
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lurgan beach, Ontario, Canada.
Gear: Ocean Rodeo

Postby Tinkersailor » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:52 pm

Nice Job!

I am interested in your AOA comment. If i am correct the only AOA that matters is the relative AOA to the rear foil. In your experience what is the relationship that works well? Also, do you use a lifting rear foil? And what profiles did you decide on? Thanks for any info.

Tink

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:56 pm

@edge
"if you want any info on how i joined my fins, let me know. i got pics and everything"

Post em up. Always interesting to see what is being done and how..

Thanks
Dave

wil
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Raglan, Tauranga New Zealand
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki
Style: free ride
Gear: Switch Kites and Decay boards, Naish Venturi, NJS CF6, Makaira Zeeko foil, Home made foil Clearwater creations wings

Postby wil » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:55 pm

very keen to see the photo's and explanation how you joined the windsurfing fins and shaped so beautifully.

wil

Edge19
Medium Poster
Local Beach: southend
Style: Race
RRD Rapida
Airush Sector 60

Postby Edge19 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:24 pm

Tinkersailor wrote:Nice Job!

I am interested in your AOA comment. If i am correct the only AOA that matters is the relative AOA to the rear foil. In your experience what is the relationship that works well? Also, do you use a lifting rear foil? And what profiles did you decide on? Thanks for any info.

Tink
Hi guys,

Sorry for late reply, did not get notification of replys.
I'll post some pics later, not at pc at mo.
As for AoA, my forward swept wing I set at 0° and my rear is set at around -.5 °. The rear wing has a negative lift profile ie upside down wing. This set up worked perfectly straight out of the box, which I was happy with :D

As for the wingleted wing, like I said I was rushing to got it wet and did not check it's AoA. It was actually at a - 1° Which obviously no good. I managed to get it to rise but only to about 10" where it sat and any more angle it did not like it. But as I said I only noticed the aoa after the short session.

Thanks for your comment s, I'll pop some pics up of the fin joining process a bit later.

Cheers

Edge19
Medium Poster
Local Beach: southend
Style: Race
RRD Rapida
Airush Sector 60

Postby Edge19 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:50 pm

Ok, so this is how i joined my kite race/ windsurf fins.

first i removed the inserts, then decided on the angle opposed to each other and weather to have them set at anhedral or dihedral.

cut the required angles and check all is good. i then had some carbon rod from inverted umbrella which i cut to make some dowels. i drilled into the tuttle head on both sides, i bonded them into one side when set i cleaned up and filled holes on other fin with resin then bonded and clamped with milled carbonizes resin. check fitment of dowels before using resin. in this one i even used a stainless bolt with a nut on the other end and placed it in where the insert holes were at the back of the wing. just check first where your holes will be!! just for a bit more security but this is optional.
IMAG1989.jpg
Bond
IMAG1991.jpg
once set, sand back as necasary and shape the foil profile on the underside. on the lower side in the middle i ground down below my final required shape. this was to take the carbon patch of ud cardon and a bit of kevlar. build up carbon running the ud across the join. build up higher so you can sand back to finished shape. i vacuumed this patch on both sides.
IMAG2006.jpg
IMAG2007.jpg
IMAG2015.jpg
Sand back to required shape, drill holes, i used countersunk brass tube inserts in the holes. this was so the clamping forces was not direct on the carbon/ join etc. i have used the this wing without these but i put them in after. the forward swept wing i put them in straight away.

tidy it up, dash of paint, etc job done.
i made winglets from the tips i cut off of the fins. it worked really well using the dowels and is strong as.
IMAG2026.jpg
they work really well and are strong. if you like them you can then make a mould from them so if you need to one day, you can replicate it.

Simple as that and pretty quick to do.
IMAG2050.jpg
IMAG2048.jpg
IMAG2055.jpg

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Postby tkettlepoint » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:20 pm

sweet brother.. make me a wing with winglet for my fuselage and I will test it on this side of the pond for you

keep up the great work

terrie

Ianskeggb
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Skegness,U.K. Tarifa Spain
Style: Strapless surf, strapless foil
Gear: Airush kites, various strapless boards, alpine foil

Postby Ianskeggb » Mon May 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Hi, are the holes based on the alpine foil, if so do you know the correct positions of holes from centre line and space apart from hole to hole.

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kings beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: All clean beaches
Style: out of control
Gear: Homemade gear

Postby tahoedirk » Wed May 16, 2018 5:45 pm

wow 19! So many thoughtful aspects and good looks too
A year sounds about right if you have another job.
keep it below 30 mph and enjoy your success!
Thanks for sharing

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed May 16, 2018 6:23 pm

This is a pretty old thread.

Sadly, Edge19 can't respond.

Building a super cool foil is only one of the many cool things I hope he is remembered for.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2391747

Return to “Gear Builders”