Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Bomb proof board from XPs insulation foam

Forum for hydrofoil builders.


max
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:00 am

Re: Bomb proof board from XPs insulation foam

Postby max » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:26 pm

DartBoard wrote::) grunt 100um plastic?. Is there nothing Bunnings can provide!!!

Board looks great! Can wait to see it in action.
Thanks Matt.

I think 100um . . . was actually a Mitre 10 store this time :)

RalfsB
Medium Poster
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:45 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Airush, Gaastra, RRD, Ozone; Boards: self made alaia, slalom, etc.
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: Bomb proof board from XPs insulation foam

Postby RalfsB » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:26 am

What is the weight of the board after glassing?

max
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:00 am

Re: Bomb proof board from XPs insulation foam

Postby max » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:40 am

RalfsB wrote:What is the weight of the board after glassing?


The board weighs in currently (with a fill coat on the bottom weave and rails) 1.8 kg


I now need to glass the top with rail wraps down to bottom curve. Am thinking of 2x 6onz with a 4onz patch over mast mount.

I feel that I have perhaps over built it but it is the first time I have used this foam and am uncertain of what it needs.

My target was below 3kg all up.

RalfsB
Medium Poster
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:45 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Airush, Gaastra, RRD, Ozone; Boards: self made alaia, slalom, etc.
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: Bomb proof board from XPs insulation foam

Postby RalfsB » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:41 pm

max wrote: The board weighs in currently (with a fill coat on the bottom weave and rails) 1.8 kg


I now need to glass the top with rail wraps down to bottom curve. Am thinking of 2x 6onz with a 4onz patch over mast mount.

I feel that I have perhaps over built it but it is the first time I have used this foam and am uncertain of what it needs.

My target was below 3kg all up.
Cool! I am currently building an XPS board, its current weight with a carbon foil box inside and the bottom side glassed is also about 1.8kg. The top side will have footstrap inserts and more layers than the bottom, so I hope the total will be close to 3kg.

max
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:00 am

Re: Bomb proof board from XPs insulation foam

Postby max » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:10 pm

RalfsB wrote:
Cool! I am currently building an XPS board, its current weight with a carbon foil box inside and the bottom side glassed is also about 1.8kg. The top side will have footstrap inserts and more layers than the bottom, so I hope the total will be close to 3kg.

I was going to use carbon on the bottom but decided not to for a few reasons but one being that this foam apparently does not like getting too hot and I do not plan on painting it. Maybe the next one :)

User avatar
omg
Frequent Poster
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:58 pm

Re: Bomb proof board from XPs insulation foam

Postby omg » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:12 pm

max, excellent workmanship you have in there!

Can I ask what material you used for the plugs (for drilling holes for the foil attachment bolts)?

max
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:00 am

Re: Bomb proof board from XPs insulation foam

Postby max » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:47 am

omg wrote:max, excellent workmanship you have in there!

Can I ask what material you used for the plugs (for drilling holes for the foil attachment bolts)?

cheers omg.

I think it is called Acetal . . . really tough plastic . . . have even used it for footstrap inserts in days gone by.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1786
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden

Re: Bomb proof board from XPs insulation foam

Postby TomW » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:45 am

Good glass job Max.

faklord
Frequent Poster
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:03 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Bomb proof board from XPs insulation foam

Postby faklord » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Acetal? Difficult stuff to bond well. Have you found a trick?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1786
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden

Re: Bomb proof board from XPs insulation foam

Postby TomW » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:41 pm

You can flame treat PE and achieve acceptable bonding. sweep a propane flame over it, not melting. Don't touch after. Might work with acetal ( aka Delrin). But I think Delrin has better bonding characteristics than PE and Nylon.


Return to “Hydrofoil Builders”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests