Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Home Built Infusion Foil.

Postby TomW » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:35 pm

Really impressive. You have a laser that cuts steel!? Those cost a fortune!!
One that cuts plastic and wood costs 4000 bucks. ( if you don't buy a Chinese one)

I think I was smart to buy my foil. Still working on my wrapped wood core strut.....

GrantL
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Auckland
Style: Surfboard
Gear: Naish board
Switch kites
Ozone kites
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby GrantL » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:37 pm

TomW wrote:Really impressive. You have a laser that cuts steel!? Those cost a fortune!!
One that cuts plastic and wood costs 4000 bucks. ( if you don't buy a Chinese one)

I think I was smart to buy my foil. Still working on my wrapped wood core strut.....
I have one at work , an industrial Fast flow CO2 laser for cutting. I just used it as it was convenient for me.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:53 am

I'm curious about your total weight. I've been researching infusion and it seems that one of the primary benefits is weight savings. I think there's a weight thread floating around somewhere where people reported their home builds...

GrantL
Medium Poster
Switch kites
Ozone kites

Postby GrantL » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:35 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:I'm curious about your total weight. I've been researching infusion and it seems that one of the primary benefits is weight savings. I think there's a weight thread floating around somewhere where people reported their home builds...
3kg all up.
Yes you are correct, infusion is around 38-40% resin. It is pretty dry compared to a wet layup even if vacuumed.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:13 pm

That is some insane fastidiousness for a first build!
I love it.

Interestingly my wet layup, vac bag,carbon bamboo core build also weighs 3kg. My flex test is 12mm flex, 8mm torsion.

So as far a weight and stiffness is concerned, very similar.

How has your learning progress been?
Have you tried different aoa's of the rear wing relative to front?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:05 pm

That's awesome, that's right in line with mass-produced retail models!

GrantL
Medium Poster
Switch kites
Ozone kites

Postby GrantL » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:26 pm

plummet wrote:That is some insane fastidiousness for a first build!
I love it.

Interestingly my wet layup, vac bag,carbon bamboo core build also weighs 3kg. My flex test is 12mm flex, 8mm torsion.

Cheers Plummet.

From my experience as a mechanical engineer ,weights measures and methods can all give such varied results . But good on you too , I have read some of your experiences.
Comparing my foil mast and fuselage to the current "AXIS" race foil it is almost identical in weight , bending (flex) and torsional stiffness. My crash test dummy is a rider for them.

I know that the America's cup TeamNZ tried many versions of rudders and like components (long and slender) with different cores inside a carbon layup but eventually came to the conclusion that solid carbon was the only solution for max rigidity. I think that would be the case with most top end kite foils too , but not certain. The other important design point is that the thinner the section thickness the more difficult it is to obtain the rigidity. My mast is 105mm at top end 13mm thick and 100mm at fuselage 12mm thick. Probably like you too , it is all a learning process when building anything . That is part of the excitement of doing it.

In terms of riding , I have done around 12-15 hours on the water to date. I can ride both directions no problem. Not doing any s curves yet , just building confidence.
Setup , I had set the AOA of the rear wing at -3deg ,but after my Crash Test Dummy rode the setup he felt that it was to much. So I reduced to-2deg. But until I get the skill level up I won't touch it . As they say a tradesman never blames his tools.

What are the dimensions of your mast ?

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kings beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: All clean beaches
Style: out of control
Gear: Homemade gear

Postby tahoedirk » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:25 pm

Grant , your stuff looks great! If I ever nail down a design that I love, I will definitely take some finishing tips from you, I'm totally impressed keep it up.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:28 pm

GrantL wrote:
I love it.

Cheers Plummet.

From my experience as a mechanical engineer ,weights measures and methods can all give such varied results . But good on you too , I have read some of your experiences.
Comparing my foil mast and fuselage to the current "AXIS" race foil it is almost identical in weight , bending (flex) and torsional stiffness. My crash test dummy is a rider for them.

I know that the America's cup TeamNZ tried many versions of rudders and like components (long and slender) with different cores inside a carbon layup but eventually came to the conclusion that solid carbon was the only solution for max rigidity. I think that would be the case with most top end kite foils too , but not certain. The other important design point is that the thinner the section thickness the more difficult it is to obtain the rigidity. My mast is 105mm at top end 13mm thick and 100mm at fuselage 12mm thick. Probably like you too , it is all a learning process when building anything . That is part of the excitement of doing it.

In terms of riding , I have done around 12-15 hours on the water to date. I can ride both directions no problem. Not doing any s curves yet , just building confidence.
Setup , I had set the AOA of the rear wing at -3deg ,but after my Crash Test Dummy rode the setup he felt that it was to much. So I reduced to-2deg. But until I get the skill level up I won't touch it . As they say a tradesman never blames his tools.

900mm long, 123 wide, ranging from 14mm to 18mm thickness.

Oh yes there's no doubt that full carbon no core is the best. Also no doubt that your build is far superior to mine. I basically made the wooden plugs from bamboo and slapped carbon over the top!... None the less it worked and I am foiling with a grin on my face!

In hindsight i should have make the mast longer. 100cm.

GrantL
Medium Poster
Switch kites
Ozone kites

Postby GrantL » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:40 am

plummet wrote:
GrantL wrote:
I love it.

Cheers Plummet.

900mm long, 123 wide, ranging from 14mm to 18mm thickness.

Oh yes there's no doubt that full carbon no core is the best. Also no doubt that your build is far superior to mine. I basically made the wooden plugs from bamboo and slapped carbon over the top!... None the less it worked and I am foiling with a grin on my face!

In hindsight i should have make the mast longer. 100cm.
EXACTLY!
I think that anybody you and me included are ahead of the game. Much more satisfying building your own "prototype". Are you going to build another.

Return to “Gear Builders”