cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Resources for small carbon repairs

Postby cwood » Tue May 02, 2017 6:31 pm

I am posting here because I didn't get much on the regular forum.

For small dings and chips...bigger than instant glue or glazing compound can fix....but not structural...do you have suggestions on how to use small amounts of carbon and epoxy to fill or repair? Videos on how to?

Any guidance would be great. I have a leading edge of front wing with a 1/4 inch ding and two thing wing tips that have some chunks out of them. I have a second wing so I don't mind spending the time to fix and get back to good shape.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Re: Resources for small carbon repairs

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue May 02, 2017 9:53 pm

Look at any ding repair vid for a surfboard and it works just the same with CF. :thumb:

faklord
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby faklord » Wed May 03, 2017 9:03 am

You may get more specific advice if you post some photos of the damage you want to repair.

Meanwhile a couple of pointers:
If you not worried about cosmetics and it really is not structural, a car body filler should do the job or the standard epoxy adhesive you get in tubes. Overfill and sand back. You could even stain it afterwards with a black permanent marker pen!
Failing that fill with a mix of epoxy and ground carbon eg see products here: http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/resi ... -additives
Fumed silica is great to make a thixotropic past to stop the filler running away.
On something like a wing tip or trailing edge, Clamping the part to a flat surface covered in a polythene may help to give a flat surface to build the repair on.
On something like a leading edge, pulling polythene round the edge on top of filler (and taping in place) can help form the shape and reduce sanding.
In any case whatever your filler is going to stick to needs to be clean and have a good rough surface to bond to, so I would clean with acetone/alcohol and sand with a course grit.

Hope this helps?

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Wed May 03, 2017 12:06 pm

faklord wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 9:03 am
You may get more specific advice if you post some photos of the damage you want to repair.

If you not worried about cosmetics and it really is not structural, a car body filler should do the job or the standard epoxy adhesive you get in tubes. Overfill and sand back. You could even stain it afterwards with a black permanent marker pen!
Failing that fill with a mix of epoxy and ground carbon eg see products here: http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/resi ... -additives
Fumed silica is great to make a thixotropic past to stop the filler running away.
On something like a wing tip or trailing edge, Clamping the part to a flat surface covered in a polythene may help to give a flat surface to build the repair on.
On something like a leading edge, pulling polythene round the edge on top of filler (and taping in place) can help form the shape and reduce sanding.
In any case whatever your filler is going to stick to needs to be clean and have a good rough surface to bond to, so I would clean with acetone/alcohol and sand with a course grit.

Hope this helps?
Thank you!! exactly what I was looking for...and that additive link was also very helpful. I will post a couple picture examples soon for more specific guidance. We foil in areas that are rocky and sometimes touches just happen. There is a guy not far from me that does repairs well and quite reasonably priced but I prefer to be self sufficient.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Wed May 03, 2017 10:08 pm

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu May 04, 2017 7:35 pm

faklord wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 9:03 am

If you not worried about cosmetics and it really is not structural, a car body filler should do the job or the standard epoxy adhesive you get in tubes.
The rest of your post , was spot on ; but car-body filler on an epoxy board
is a BAD idea !! :nono:

Car body filler is made with polyester glue ; it does NOT stick well to epoxy
because the actual molecular weight chains in polyester are Larger than the
ones that make-up epoxy. You can use epoxy to fix a polyester surfboard though.

ALSO -- only the car body fillers that are made with chopped-fiberglass fibers , are
actually water-proof ; the fillers in the common one , (easy to sand/shape) that is
used for filling a dent , are NOT water proof.

5-min epoxy is also a poor choice ; (:30 min) cure time is better. The longer it takes
for the epoxy to go-off, the better the, (mechanical) bond. I personally only use
epoxy with a, (:60-min) cure time, to fix anything composite

YES -- it does matter ; if you want the repair to be around a while !!

Bille

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kings beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: All clean beaches
Style: out of control
Gear: Homemade gear

Postby tahoedirk » Sun May 07, 2017 7:46 pm

CA glue , accelerator and any scraps of carbon will fix most nicks fast accurately and easily. CA glue is almost useless without the kicker though

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:46 am

lightandfrost
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: N/A
Local Beach: N/A
Favorite Beaches: N/A
Style: onshore waveriding
Gear: N/A
Brand Affiliation: SOKG (Self Organizing Kite Group)

Postby lightandfrost » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:45 am

Superglue General

To repair dents and cracks in airplane propellers to include surfboard dents masts etc, superglue can be used. First fill the dent with superglue, then sprinkle finely ground Sodium Bicarbonate(Baking Soda) on the surface of the glue. The glue instantly hardens 5 times stronger then normal superglue. Next brush off the excess Baking Soda with a brush then file or wet sand. If the void is not filled apply the process again until void has been removed. The process is cheap, fast and effective.

Return to “Gear Builders”