Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

3D printing wings

Postby TomW » Wed May 31, 2017 6:28 pm

I'm recovering from injury and bored. So was thinking of way to 3D print a wing. I have a Form2 laser 3D printer at work and it prints out several stiff materials based on epoxy.
I'm printing out some test parts to see how durable and stiff they are. Here's a fin i made.
DSC_0003.JPG
My first goal would be to design and print out test wings, ones that would last 10 sessions. Next goal is to build ones that last a long time.
I'd start by copying a wing I have to compare performance based on build. Then design my own wing to see how it goes.

So the question is how to do it. Here's some ideas. Please comment.

1. One of the limitations is the printer has a build volume of 145x145x175. So a wing with 550 span would need to be built in 4 parts. I was thinking to build it in 5 parts, a center section, and two wing parts each side. I'm using a moses fuselage with screw on wing, so I'd make a 150mm wide center part with screw holes, and add the two wing bases and tips to each side. I'd create cylindrical holes in the interior of the parts and glue in several carbon fiber rods along span. The tips are thin so I'll use thick and thinner rods overlapping. Rods won't go all the way to tips of course. I could use internal carbon plate as tip reinforcement. the section divides can be staggered and keyed with internal details to position and reduce concentrating weak spot. Glue all the parts together, give it a few coats of paint and ready.

2. Alternative to above is to make parts as above, but reduce outside form a precise thickness and after gluing parts together, vacuum bag 1 layer Uni directional and one layer twill carbon fiber on outside. More work, less accuracy on shape, but stronger.

3. Make thin " skins" of top and bottom surfaces in Parts. Glue each skin side parts together to make one part for each top and bottom surface. Then laminate in cf into each skin side, filling the empty cavity as much as possible with Cf. I'd have to be smart and build in internal and external fixtures to keep everything aligned and not deforming. Then glue the top and bottom surfaces together - vacuum bag it. Then clean up and paint it. I might be able to use the Flashforge Dreamer FDM machine that has 230mm max build length to build these parts in abs. not as strong and bigger risk for deformation.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Re: 3D printing wings

Postby rynhardt » Wed May 31, 2017 6:50 pm

Why not just print a plug with however many parts required and glue them together. Doesn't need to be structural.
Then cast a mould off the plug.
Once you have a mould you can decide what you want to cast as a core and then skin it with something structural.
If you have the means, make two plugs. One for just the core and one slightly bigger for the core plus reinforcement.
Then you can get a finished item out of the second mould with minimal effort.

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:38 am

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:04 pm

Rynhardt,
Yes, that I could do. But was thinking to use this method to make test wings quickly.
Then I could print the molds directly, I don't have to make a plug.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:16 pm

Hej JR, Thanks for the swaylocks link. They are on same track, but getting caught up in the 3D Cad part with the finfoil program. I'm just using Autodesk Fusion 360, no problems with that. have decades of 3D Cad experience and full time CAD guy in my team that I can ask too.
I printed out that fin on the Flashforge in ABS. Pretty stiff. New prints in the Form2 now.

Markforged machine that prints carbon/nylon mix and carbon filament is super interesting. But build volume still requires breaking into parts and machine costs 15000 usd....for a foil company it would be amazing for testing multiple wings...

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:06 pm

TomW wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:04 pm
Rynhardt,
Yes, that I could do. But was thinking to use this method to make test wings quickly.
Then I could print the molds directly, I don't have to make a plug.
Even being able to print moulds puts you way ahead of the game :-)
But if you want to go directly to the wing, then your option 2 would be my choice.
Basically print the core, and as long as it can resist the shear and compression forces, skin the outside with reinforcement.

mopman365
Frequent Poster
Gear: F-One Bandits, Directional
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mopman365 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:52 am

I'd also go for number 2, but suggest flame treating your ABS before laminating. http://www.epoxycraft.com/we-asked-hami ... t-plastic/

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:15 pm

Thanks Guys,

If i go with method 2 - lets call it the Skinned Core method i can print in Epoxy based material that would allow really good bonding to the outer skin. The compression and sheer strength of the core would be basically the same as solid epoxy, Polypropylene, or Acetal. Depends on material i choose.

What would you have as layup schedule ? Remember- I´m only trying to make short useage life " test wings".

I printed some Future fins with good results- I think i can use them on my kite surfboard as is.

I´m getting ready to design the wing.

T

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:57 pm

TomW wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:15 pm
Thanks Guys,

If i go with method 2 - lets call it the Skinned Core method i can print in Epoxy based material that would allow really good bonding to the outer skin. The compression and sheer strength of the core would be basically the same as solid epoxy, Polypropylene, or Acetal. Depends on material i choose.

What would you have as layup schedule ? Remember- I´m only trying to make short useage life " test wings".

I printed some Future fins with good results- I think i can use them on my kite surfboard as is.

I´m getting ready to design the wing.

T
ABS bonds fine if you clean and distress it. Flame treatment also supposedly helps but I haven't done that yet and haven't had any debonding issues.
Besides a printed part should have plenty of surface area due to the layering artefacts.

For fabric I'd put some uni down the length of the wings and then wrap satin weave at +45/-45 for torque control. Or anything that drapes well.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:17 pm

Rynhardt,

So how about 200 g m2 Uni, then 200g twill at 45 degrees? I could add a 200g glass as last layer as " sacrificial " layer to avoid sand through.

Return to “Gear Builders”