Gear: Airush Ultra 10m, 8m
Airush Wave 6m
Solo 4,5m
Shinn K2 foil
125cm RR custom
Brand Affiliation: None

Stance width and board length

Postby RichR2 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:24 pm

As I’m still very much a beginner (2nd season) I’ve not had experience of different set ups that many of you on this forum have had, so this question is aimed at you and I thank you in advance for your input.
Once you have established a balanced stance for your particular board and foil, how much is it affected by changing the board but keeping the same wing and foil?
So. what I mean is, if your back foot is in the same place in relation to the foil plate itself, will the distance that your front foot is placed forward, to be balanced, be the same distance forward irrespective of the board.
My reason for asking this is, if it’s the wing and foil that largely determines stance, then calculating where to place the foil mount and strap inserts on a new build should be more straightforward.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Stance width and board length

Postby edt » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:46 pm

the board doesn't matter, big small long wide short narrow. All that matters is where the wing is in relation to your feet. If you made the board invisible and watched someone ride a hydrofoil it would look like their feet are directly centered over the wing. A bigger board has more swing weight so it moves slower that's it.

Return to “Gear Builders”